What's new

Which digital camera do you have? (1 Viewer)

MikeM

Screenwriter
I own the greatest digital camera ever....

The Olympus D-40 Zoom (4.0 megapixel)

I don't see myself buying another camera ever again...

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Not to change the topic, but rather than starting a seperate thread, maybe some of you could also list your non-digital cameras
i have a canon AE-1, from the 80s. i dont exactly remember when it was purchased, as i was a young kid. takes pretty good pictures. i took it into the local camera shop, and the guy offered me a new camera off the shelf for it. when i said no, he told me it was a very nice camera, and never to sell it. and in the sme breath, he said if i ever DID sell it, to bring it to him. seems like he went a bit overboard, but i think its a nice camera.

CJ

Stephen L

Second Unit
I have a Fuji 2600Z . It takes very good pictures in outdoor and bright light conditions. Anything inside or low light and its useless. I'm in the market now myself for an upgrade.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I am also a Kodak DC4800 owner. I really think the camera does a great job, and the pictures look great. Especially if you get them professionally developed.

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
Don't have one yet, but I'm considering getting the Nikon Coolpix 3500 in a month or 2.

I've read the instuction manual for the 2500 which is supposedly the exact same thing except that it's gray instead of blue and that it's 3.2 MP instead of 2.

My only 3 beefs with it are:

- Non-Standard Batteries. Having AA Bateries was a priority for me but seeing as basically all cameras are now switching to non-standard Lit-Ion I guess I'll just have to accept it. The Fujifilm A303 would have been my choice (As it uses AA Batteries) but my dad being a Semi-Professional Photographer told me that Nikon was much better than Fujifilm and when he upgrades, he's getting a Nikon for sure (He's currently using a Olympus C3030) and that batteries should not be the deciding factor for a digital camera. I'll get an extra battery just to be safe.

- Lack of a movie mode feature. Although, if I wanted to shoot movies, I'd get a camcorder but being able to film say a minute or 2 clips would have been nice. The Fujifilm A303 can do 1 Minute @ 320x240 and 4 Minutes @ 160x120. The Nikon Coolpix 2(/3?)500 only lets you do ONLY 15 Secs in 320x240 which as far as I'm concerned means it can't do movies at all!

- That revolving lens thing seems kinda odd to me! Although I can see the benefits of it, I just find it strange having to physically move the lens manually.

As for lack of a Viewfinder, yeah that bothers me too but seeing how inaccurate this can be (The Parallax Error and zoom) I guess I'll end up like my dad and always use the LCD. With Nikon's Rotating Lens thingy, they could have put a viewfinder that goes through the lens on the other side.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I picked up a cheapo HP PhotoSmart 320 2.1MP digicam for taking e-mail/auction/weblog photos.

Otherwise I use my Canon Rebel 2000/50mm F1.8 prime lens and a good scanner.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Anybody own any of those new-fangled digital SLR cameras?
Yes. They're anywhere from "decent" to "outstanding" depending on the brand and model, and more importantly: what lenses you purchase to go with them.

They are also a huge investment, several magnitudes more expensive than consumer digicams by the time you figure in the expense of the body (anywhere from $2000 to $8000), plus lenses, filters, etc.

But the lenses will (generally) also work with regular SLR body cameras, so that's an advantage.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Martin,

You may want to check out the Coolpix 4500. It has a viewfinder (in bright sunlight it's almost impossible to see - let alone judge - the image on an LCD screen) and a modest movie-mode.

And once you're accustomed to the revolving body, you'll probably love it. Gives you access under all sorts of circumstances/angles and appears to be very "handy" (great feel, simple handling).

Cees

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
the problem with view finders on almost ALL digital camera's except for SLR models is you're not looking through the lens of the camera so framing the shot with a view finder can be inaccurate, with the LCD you're seeing the Image the CCD is seeing as it will be saved which is just like looking through an SLR so I like it alot better, the battery last's quite a while aroun 80 minutes or so depending on Flash use, there is a AC/DC adapter available for about 20 bux, and an extra battery will run you around 20 bux as well. My only beef with the camera was no TV out, CF type 1 only so no using the Micro Drives in it, and thats bout it. other than that I love it, its small, light, takes great shots which I'll post some up tonight went to bed way early last night, and the swivel is great especially in crowds cuz you can hold it over the crowd still see the screen and take a picture.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Canon G3 for me. I had a Canon S30 and then a G2 before I ended up with the G3, and I love it!

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Canon G1 and Canon 420EX flash. The external flash dwarfs the camera, but it makes indoor photography so much better!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0009/g1/g1extflash.jpg

The pictures are good, although not quite as nice as produced by the Canon AE-1 Program film camera I have. Then again, I never use the AE-1 because the G1 is so much more convenient.

I'd love a digital SLR but I don't think they are worth the money at this point.

-JNS

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Brian,

Speaking of analog camera's: I'm a Pentax fan like yourself too. I still have the ME Super, but since then used an SFX for many years (that one has a mechanical problem now) and my current camera is the MZ-5N. Before I switched to the Nikon digital camera, I hoped Pentax would bring out a digital one with KA-fitting (so I would have been able to go on using all my lenses) and indeed they announced a camera with 6 Mpixel, but that was retracted later.

(And I also own a classic Leica, my father used before WWII already, still in excellent working order.)

Cees

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Sony F717. 5 megapixel, can see and take pictures in complete darkenss, has great focusing system, very bright and fast lens, 5x optical zoom, and fantastic image quality.
-Erik
Try getting this picture, handheld, with a lesser lens:

Looks pretty good outside, too.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
AaronNWilson,

Those Klipsch speakers make that picture look even better! :D

By the way, which Klipsch Reference Series speakers are those?

Erik_C,

I can too take pictures in complete darkness which excellent results. I have the Canon PowerShot S45 digital camera.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
By the way, here is a picture I took with my Canon PowerShot S45 digital camera. It is just a leaf, but look at the detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks