What's new

Which Decade has had most TV DVD releases? And least? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys: A speculative question from those in the now: In the past five decades since televsion has started, which Decade (or half decade) do you think has had the most DVD releases? Or Not? I'm sure we can agree that the current decade has had the most current number of releases, possibly followed by the late sixties and early early seventies (Star Trek, Bewtiched, Get Smart, I Dream of Jennie, Dragnet, Gilligan's Island, various westerns etc). But which decade do you think follows that? I do think the early seventies has so many programs that have been neglected, and that was right before VCR's came out in the early 80's What do you guys think? James

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Are you not counting the 50's as a decade, James? If so, then I believe there have been 6 decades we could be choosing from. And since there are so many series from the 50's that have never seen the light of day, I'm going to say that the 50's has seen the least. Without looking at strong numbers, my initial thoughts would be along this order (from most to least):

1) 2000's

2) 60's

3) 70's

4) 90's

5) 80's

6) 50's

I could be all wet. This is completely speculation on my part and I'm sure with just a little bit of searching we could get numbers that would give us a very good idea of what the truth really is. But those are my initial, gut picks.

Gary "interesting question" O.

P.S. I re-edited my list to reflect what my initial thoughts were.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I once compiled a list of completed "60s" shows on DVD and it totally blows away the 70s, 80s and 90s it seemed like.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

I once compiled a list of completed "60s" shows on DVD and it totally blows away the 70s, 80s and 90s it seemed like.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. I initially had the 60's listed in 2nd place right behind the 2000's. Then I got to second guessing myself and I kept dropping it down the list, mostly because I thought there would surely be more 90's and 80's material out there at this point. But what you've suggested would in no way shock me if it turned out to be true. About the only two things I feel very confident about is the top and bottom spots. I'm sure the 2000's are at the top, and I'm equally sure the 50's are at the bottom. Anything in between wouldn't surprise me as to its order.

Gary "again, it's a very interesting question" O.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
I think you're right. Gary, as to what you said, we could/should be counting the fifities, but that was way, way, way before my time and I'm not sure so many television sets were in that many American households yet (or at least where I am in North Dakota), and I'm not sure if there were that many series as say, there were in the sixties. Of course, I'm wrong. I started thinking about this, when I noticed there were so many short lived early seventies NOT out on DVD, and for some reason the early seventies seemed to be a reaction against all the earlier far-fetched programming such as Star Trek, Batman, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, the Invaders, Lost in Space, etc. I'd really love to Nichols, Bearcats, When Things Were Rotten, Invisible Man (McCallum version), Search, Nanny and the Professor, Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Manhunter (Ken Howard), etc out on DVD. They had excellent actors and pretty good writers working on them.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I once inventoried my personal DVD Collection to see what decade had the greatest no. of Series and it came up like this. 1. 1960s 2. 1970s 3. 1980s 4. 1950s 5. 1990s 6. 2000s 7. 2010s (I have NONE!) :laugh: Note: If a Series started out in one decade (Let's say for example Hawaii Five-O (which started in 1968 & ended in 1980) it counts as a "1960s" Series. :cool:

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I think, with regard to color releases, the 70's appear to be a vast wasteland of DVD releases of once popular shows. Note these shows that were fairly popular in their time but either received no releases at all or stalled. Chico and the Man, Alice, One Day at a Time, Maude, Barretta, Police Woman, SWAT, Happy Days (Stalled after 4 seasons), Ditto Laverne and Shirley, Fantasy Island, Different Strokes, Movin On, WKRP, Welcome Back Kotter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks