What's new

Which cables are best for my Jamo speakers? (1 Viewer)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
arjundeepakshriram said:
is monster cable any good as i am presently using it till i get something better
Monster cable isn't "bad" it's just usually way overpriced.

As to getting something "better"... if your current cable is 14 gauge or thicker (smaller number) then I don't think anything you do or get will make much of a difference in the way your system sounds. Despite what you may read online or in magazine ads, all you really need is 12-14 gauge copper. Everything else is snake oil and BS marketing.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Monster cable looks nice but it is way overpriced, i remember back in the early nineties when i was an idiot and never knew better i purchased a Monster Scart cable for £70, back then the exchange rate was $2 to every pound so that's $140 on a 1.5m scart cable which i connected to a JVC Super VHS machine that only cost me £229.

That Scart cable was very well built with great shielding but overpriced, i still have it but have no real use for it now.

I have learned my lessons over the years and know my hobby better, get the Mono Price 12 gauge cables for the run you need.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Many of my speakers are ran with remnants from dead small appliances. Coffee pots, hair dryers...pretty sure I'm using one from a curling iron.My once powered JBL(Bought dead at a garage sale for $5) uses the power cord. Cut the insides off, rewired to the speaker leads. Cut plug off the other end. Had it passive within 5 minutes of getting it home. 2 minutes later had an amp dusted off...My bedroom uses wire that cost more than Monster. But, funny story...The cord is a blue winter outdoor power cord. Was 150 feet(price one next time at Lowes). Used it to plug the truck in while it sits out at the road. It got mangled up by a snow blower...Not just any snow blower. A 60" mounted to the front of a Kuboto 4x4 tractor. (Neighbor was being nice and plowed a makeshift drive through the yard)So the 80 odd feet that was left...was repurposed.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Try to make this easier....

For Monster - 100' of 16 Gage - $29.88

-- For the same 100' of 16 Gage - Monoprice - $19.55 -- would not be able to tell the difference in sound...and you have an extra $10.33 in your pocket...

-- For about the same money (an extra 6 cents) as 16 Gage Monster - can get a 100' of 12 Gage - Monoprice - $29.94

--- Monster is all hype and marketing.....and you are paying extra for that....

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Monster cables are fine but they are overpriced.

I was speaking to someone who used to be a salesman in an electrical shop and he told me they got good commission on selling those cables and that is why they are pushed hard above cheaper options which do just as good a job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks