What's new

Which black and white show would you MOST like to see on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Not wanting a listing, just a mention of ONE classic show you most want to see on DVD. Mine would be:

"The Donna Reed Show."

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, if I assume that Shout! carries through with "Father Knows Best", that Universal eventually comes back with more "Leave it to Beaver", and Paramount does actually release "My Three Sons", I'm looking at a few different titles and trying to process which one I'd pick (and there are many). I am guessing you are asking for new series, not ones that are already released but perhaps slowed down.

I guess my choice would be "Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet" in full Season sets.

Gary "It was a tough choice because there are so many I'd like to see" O.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Complete, uncut, remastered sets of . . . .

DOBIE GILLIS

Although picking just one is very difficult. Easier for me to pick one color series.

Tom.W

Second Unit
Tough to narrow it down to just one show, but on the basis of overall quality and lack of accessibility, I'd say The Defenders.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
The Patty Duke Show. I would like to see it uncut, with original commercials, and on single-sided discs. Three seasons, and three boxes (not six ;)).

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
There are numerous black & white shows that I'd like to see come to DVD but, if I had to pick just one, it would be "Stoney Burke" with Jack Lord, Warren Oates and Bruce Dern.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
So funny. Almost every poster picked a show that ran through my mind when trying to decide on just one out of literally dozens upon dozens of shows. I ultimately chose "Ozzie & Harriet" simply for the sheer volume. I'd get a lot of bang for my buck if that entire series was released (remastered and uncut, of course). But honestly, I'd probably have a different pick for every day in the month, depending on how I feel at that particular moment.

Gary "MY THREE SONS might very well have been my choice but for the recent Paramount news - I'm assuming they still are going to release it, so I didn't feel I needed to make it my choice here" O.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
It's very tough to pick just one...westerns alone would give me a large list but if I have to pick one I guess I'd go with...

Lawman starring John Russell. I really liked that show and would love to see a few official season sets released.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Hmm, it's an awfully daunting question, as there are probably two to three dozen b&w series that share equal levels of desirability for me. Things ranging from early-60s dramas to favorite old sitcoms to various curiosities I've always wanted to check out.

Tough, tough choice. But for the heck of it, I think I'd like to see a complete, sparklingly-restored "Boston Blackie" (1951-53), from Ziv. While an admittedly dated artifact, it always had some nice virtues, and wears much better than most of its contemporaries. The pacing was consistently snappy, the episodes usually utilized some interesting on-location set-pieces for their finales, and perhaps more than any other old-time series, it tended to capture the ingratiating zest and homeyness of earlier B-movie fare. The dialogue could be a tad too corny for modern tastes, but that's part of the mix. Anyway, it would be nice to see the entire two-season run restored and saved from the clutches of obscurity.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I'm sorry but that pick is disqualified. 32 of the 58 episodes of the series were done in COLOR.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
That 'color' status of "Boston Blackie" has always been an intriguing mystery to me. I'd had people tell me only a handful of episodes were shot in color for test purposes, and others tell me the entire series was shot in color. All I knew for certain is that there was one or two color prints available via the bootleg circuits many years ago. It would be wild to see them in color, as I'm assuming the normal syndication prints were strictly b&w.

But this does give me the opening to submit another b&w series. I'll have to give it some more thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks