What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

Pete York

Supporting Actor
I find McBride's story interesting. Stevens shows up at the University of Wisconsin in 1966 with his personal 35mm print of SHANE to present in academy ratio. Earlier in the year he went at NBC over A PLACE IN THE SUN, showing his very serious engagement with how he wanted his movies to be seen. As McElwee hints at, doesn't the UW showing, an event Stevens obviously had control over, signal his preference for the way SHANE was to be presented? Especially, Bob, as you point out, when there was a widescreen re-release that same year!

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Moe Dickstein said:
My point was that they wouldn't have been riding the framing manually the whole show unless you've uncovered evidence of that?
I can't imagine a screening of any film where they'd do that. It would be quite an experience, that's for sure! The audience might get motion sickness from seeing the picture moving up and down and up and down... (It's weird enough seeing the adjustment made just once at the beginning of a show.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
KMR said:
I can't imagine a screening of any film where they'd do that. It would be quite an experience, that's for sure! The audience might get motion sickness from seeing the picture moving up and down and up and down... (It's weird enough seeing the adjustment made just once at the beginning of a show.)
I can, as it's exactly how a screening of Frankenstein was shown locally, with the projectionist moving the camera up and down to keep heads from being cut off due to being blown up to fit the widescreen venue.

Which is why I find it a little odd that a revisionist, modern day re-framing from academy ratio to wide in this case is being equated to the much less drastic re-framing that a 1:85 film gets when put out as a 1:85 film on DVD since all films get reframed when transferred.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Russell G said:
Which is why I find it a little odd that a revisionist, modern day re-framing from academy ratio to wide in this case is being equated to the much less drastic re-framing that a 1:85 film gets when put out as a 1:85 film on DVD since all films get reframed when transferred.
The 1.66:1 re-framing of Shane is being equated to the 1.66:1 theatrical showing of Shane. Both the original 1.66:1 theatrical and the re-framed Blu-ray crop the in production 1.37:1. No one's denying this. The idea that the re-framed BD 1.66:1 is a drastic change from the 1.66:1 theatrical framing is what is being rebutted.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
And the (my) ultimate point is that a 1.66 crop that is corrected shot by shot, supervised by a filmmaker (which is what we are getting on the Blu) would in theory be more pleasing than a 1.66 crop that was set at one position and not changed for the duration of the film (which is what would have been gotten in the original theatrical run). That is why I find it amusing that people want something that is "historical" over something that is certainly more artistically pleasing.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Moe Dickstein said:
And the (my) ultimate point is that a 1.66 crop that is corrected shot by shot, supervised by a filmmaker (which is what we are getting on the Blu) would in theory be more pleasing than a 1.66 crop that was set at one position and not changed for the duration of the film (which is what would have been gotten in the original theatrical run).That is why I find it amusing that people want something that is "historical" over something that is certainly more artistically pleasing.
In my case, I'd simply like to see the film that the Academy voted for; I'm not *desperate* and I obviously favour 1.37:1, but I'm curious to see what they thought was so Oscar worthy at 1.66:1.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
KMR said:
As I said once before, that was quite common in London suburban cinemas from the mid-'50s when they used to show reissues of old Academy ratio films on their new wide screens. The projectionist would have to constantly adjust the picure to avoid losing either the tops of heads or essential information at the bottom of the screen. And yes - it was distracting.

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Douglas R said:
As I said once before, that was quite common in London suburban cinemas from the mid-'50s when they used to show reissues of old Academy ratio films on their new wide screens. The projectionist would have to constantly adjust the picure to avoid losing either the tops of heads or essential information at the bottom of the screen. And yes - it was distracting.
Egad...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You would have had so much fun in Puerto Rico when the poor projectionist had to accommodate Spanish subtitles at the bottom of an Academy ratio film shown in 1.85 while trying to keep the heads from disappearing!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
From Showmen's Trade Review: January 16, 1954

UK-Framing-1.16.54-web.jpg

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The latest from Jeffrey Wells...was this posted already and I missed it? In any case: http://www.hollywood-elsewhere.com/2013/04/ding-dong-shane-battle-is-won/

Not magnanimous in victory: "All hail Team 1.37! Sincere thanks to Woody Allen, Joseph McBride, Bob Furmanek and all the commenters who stood up and said the right thing. And shame on those Home Theatre Forum commenters who kept insisting that 1.66 was a proper way to go because Paramount marketing execs insisted on cropping the original film in order to deliver a faux-panoramic screen experience in first-run theatres back in the spring of 1953."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Magnanimous is not a word I would use to describe Mr. Wells in any event. My own sense of propriety precludes me from posting my description here.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
And, for all this impassioned debate, I still plan to buy the much-disputed Blu-ray. See for myself and all that, an option frequently, and wrongly, discouraged and dismissed. (The UK DRACULA BD is terrific.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Well if the regular Bluray is 1:37 and not an archive release, then I'm in. I'd still prefer both versions included in one release though instead of an archive cash in.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Odd isn't it; would they have done this without Jeffrey Wells yammering in their ears (his initial piece inspired my own small yammering...), and enlisting the support of various luminaries?

But why do I get the rather unsettling feeling that I've supped with the devil? I expect I'm not alone...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks