What's new

Which Aspect Ratio(s) is your preference for "Shane" on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Which of the three options below would you choose to purchase "Shane" on Bluray?

• Shane with 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 13 8.2%
  • Shane with 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio Only

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Shane with both, 1.66:1 and 1.37:1 Aspect Ratios

Votes: 114 71.7%

• Total voters

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I know some have already acknowledged their intentions. However, based on the poll so far, my next poll will be on who's buying this 1.66:1 ratio BD on June 4th?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Since the film isn't that great, I wouldn't spend much on the title, so if it were more expensive because it were two disc or had both ratios, I wouldn't buy that. If I had to choose between the two, I'd buy the widescreen presentation, which represents the original theatrical release of a film that was a cornerstone of the widescreen revolution, and a film whose widescreen version hasn't been properly presented on home video ever.

JSul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Sullivan
I vote for Academy....but in order to get it, will accept the widescreen version too.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
One of my all time favorite novels, I've read it multiple times, but one of my least favorite western films and directors, though it's beautifully cast. So I won't be buying any version, but just for academic sake, I voted for both. I think that SHOULD please casual and dedicated fans while appeasing the marketing department at Warners who are no doubt hoping and praying that the coveted demographic of 18-34 will somehow mistake this as a new video game. ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I voted both, but I will be buying the 1.66:1 only release. More options is always a plus, but I'm OK with purchasing a disc with just the premiere theatrical AR being the only version on the disc. The only version of the title I would not purchase is 1.33:1 only.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I voted for both, I would imagine most of if not all already have the SDDVD of Shane, so as someone mentioned above who will pickup the BR. I know I will so I can have both ratios.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
While I voted for "both", if my only choice were 1.37:1 or 1.66:1, I'd go for 1.66:1.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
1.37:1 is what was intended and is all that matters in my book. I remember seeing a film sometime in the last few years that was projected in the wrong aspect ratio in my local theater, but that doesn't make me want that on the blu-ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I voted for both for I think both are historically accurate. Even though there can be anargument that the 1.66 is not what was seen at its release.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I voted for both, but I'll buy the widescreen version if it's the only version that comes out.

While a set with both versions would be ideal, it's not the worst thing in the world to be able to see Shane in HD the way it was first presented theatrically.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This is off topic, but I wonder why I keep getting this thread showing up in bold, meaning "new response(s)", but seeing the same last response over and over. This has been happening ever since the first two replies.

Oh -- got it. I think. It's reflecting an additional vote, if not an actual response.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
voted for both, but would pefer 1:37:1 as originaly intended, i understand WB and Paramount's decision, as trying to release it as it was shown in theaters, well with WB doing the distribution, does that mean that we might see Hondo in 3D some time soon?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Keith Cobby said:
Gentlemen, you can tell me I'm wrong but what I meant by 'proper' widescreen is that it isn't 1.85 or 2.35, 2.55, 2.76 etc. I do not think of 1.66 as widescreen - just a personal view!
I think you forgot 2.20:1. Or is Todd AO/ Super Panavision 70 not a proper aspect ratio?

Doug

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
If it's wider than a 1950's TV screen, it's widescreen. That was, after all, the intention of widescreen. Obviously the term's taken on different connotations since then with the plethora of ever-wider aspect ratios.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Keith Cobby said:
Doug, my list wasn't meant to be comprehensive which is why I suffixed it with 'etc'. My point was really that I don't consider 1.66 to be widescreen.
Sorry I didn't see the ...etc.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My reason for voting both is for comparison and curiosity. i want to be able to see the impact of 1.66:1 on the overall picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks