What's new

Which 2001 films should get Oscars? (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
"I am hoping Pearl Harbour gets nominated for Best Picture. Such a beautiful love story ..."
There are two more war movies coming up to the screens within the months to the next OSCAR.So,it is still too early to say that PEARL HARBOR will sweep the BEST PICTURE TROPHY.
PEARL HARBOR wil not go back empty handed,which i believe.The movie will lay its hands on the TECHNICAL aspects achievements,as what other members had pointed out.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I agree on Jason Mewes, he really should get best Actor. Maybe that movie should also get Best Picture or Screenplay.

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
How will the academy handle Apocalypse Now Redux? It is by FAR the best film of the year. It is a re-edit of the original, but it is quite significantly changed, and even better. After seeing this tonight on a gigantic screen, I finally "got" the movie, and it is now one of the best films I have ever seen.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
re: Final Fantasy score. I have to say that its my favorite score this summer by some margin; Goldenthal at his very best. I'd really like to see it get a nomination at least. David Julian's Memento score is a regular play at mine as well, but its from the clanky noises and strange keyboard sweeps school, which the Academy don't seem that keen on. Otherwise, Williams has demonstrated with A.I. that unlike, say, James Horner he isn't a one-trick pony.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Not much has been released yet that will receive nominations. Shrek is a shoo-in for Best Animated Film (not Best Picture). Memento will likely get stiffed completely. An original song from Moulin Rouge and Hedwig and the Angry Inch are possibilities. Tilda Swinton has a chance for a Best Actress nomination. Other than that, I don't see much out there that the Academy will bother with. (As for Jason Mewes, if he gets a Best Actor nom, I'll eat my hat. No chance.)
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: Mississippi Mermaid, Un Flic, How to Get Ahead in Advertising: The Criterion Collection, WarGames, Open Your Eyes, Waiting for Guffman, Maelstrom
Most recent column: Panning P&S

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
BEST PICTURE
"A.I."
"Ali"
"Gangs of New York"
"Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring"
"Memento"
Winner: "Fellowship of the Ring"
BEST DIRECTOR
Baz Luhrmann "Moulin Rouge"
Michael Mann "Ali"
Christopher Nolan "Memento"
Martin Scorsese "Gangs of New York"
Steven Spielberg "A.I."
Winner: Tough call. Memento had great direction, but Nolan's too much of an unknown. Gangs of New York is to be Scorsese's masterpiece, yet the Academy always stiffs him. Spielberg did some great stuff with A.I., but not (IMO) great enough stuff. So depending on how Ali turns out, I'm going with Baz Luhrmann for Moulin Rouge
BEST ACTOR
Jim Carrey "The Majestic"
Haley Joel Osment "A.I."
Viggo Mortensen "Fellowship of the Ring"
Kevin Spacey "K-Pax"
Will Smith "Ali"
Winner: While K-PAX just screams "Best Actor", I'm going with Will Smith for Ali. From what we've seen so far, he's embodied Ali.
BEST ACTRESS
Thora Birch "Ghost World"
Anjelica Huston "The Royal Tenenbaums"
Nicole Kidman "The Others"
Julianne Moore "The Shipping News"
Gwyneth Paltrow "The Royal Tenebaums"
Winner: Gwyneth Paltrow "The Royal Tenebaums"
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jeff Bridges "K-PAX"
Daniel Day-Lewis "Gangs of New York"
Ed Harris "A Beautiful Mind"
Ian McKellen "Fellowship of the Ring"
Bill Murray "The Royal Tenenbaums"
Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis "Gangs of New York" - Mr. Day-Lewis came out of retirement for this movie. That's going to draw some sympathy.
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett "The Shipping News"
Heather Graham "From Hell"
Carrie-Anne Moss "Memento"
Julia Roberts "Ocean's Eleven"
Liv Tyler "Fellowship of the Ring"
Winner: Carrie-Anne Moss "Memento"
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
"A.I."
"Ali"
"Blow"
"Fellowship of the Ring"
"Ocean's Eleven"
Winner: "Fellowship of the Ring"
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
"The Majestic"
"Made"
"Memento"
"The Royal Tenenbaums"
"Shrek"
Winner: "Memento"
BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
"Atlantis: The Lost Empire"
"Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within"
"Monsters Inc."
"Shrek"
Winner: "Shrek"
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
"A.I."
"Gangs of New York"
"Fellowship of the Ring"
"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
"The Majestic"
Winner: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
"A.I."
"The Fellowship of the Ring"
"Pearl Harbor"
Winner: "Pearl Harbor"
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Hubert

Second Unit
I hate to disagree, but Lord of the Rings is not gonna get within sniffing distance of an Oscar, much less be nominated. To me it's still to early to make predictions.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think LoTR is looking ambitious and I'm looking forward to it, but I don't think it will get many oscars, if any.
Just got the Final Fantasy: TSW soundtrack and its amazing! Every song on the CD (besides the last) is truly amazing and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie won an oscar. I hope Lara Fabian performs at the Oscars, cuz her song on the CD is excellent.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
By the way, I hate ppl that nitpick but I'm going to anyhow..
Memento, if nominated, will be nominated in the best ADAPTED screenplay, since it's based on a short story by Jonathan Nolan.
I hope it is.. as well as best picture.
------------------

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Morgan, I agree with you about the soundtrack. The last song, although cool, doesn't fit in with the rest. Did you not stay for the ending credits when you saw the movie?
~T

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I saw the movie two times, both times with friends who aren't exactly film afficiendoes. They wanted to get out of the theater, so I didn't catch the song.
You're right, the last song doesn't fit with the rest.
I hope Lara Fabian is up for an Oscar, if not wins it.
If only the videogame soundtracks were as good as the movie's. Oh well.

Shane Gralaw

Second Unit
How about Joe Pantoliano as best supporting actor for Memento?
And a nomination for Fellowship of the Rings is not completely out of the question if it's good enough. Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh were nominated before (and really should have won) for best original screenplay for Heavenly Creatures in 1994. Perhaps a best adapted screenplay, production design, or special effects nom?
Really the only absolutely sure thing so far this year is the make-up award. They should just mail it to Rick Baker now for Planet of the Apes and save themselves the trouble later.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The makeup in PotA was excellent and is definitely going to win.
After thinking about it, Tomb Raider should sweep the awards. I mean, come on, which actress beat out Academy Award Winner Angelina Jolie? The screenplay was excellent, the special effects rocked, and the film was brilliant. From the slow motion shots of her running to the half naked shower scene, it was pure genious!
But seriously, Tomb Raider sucked.
Lord of the Rings is looking mighty fine to me. I think the atmosphere is going to be one of the most important things to the film, and it seems to use a lot of special effects, so I could see it being up for an award or two, but I can't see it getting best picture, Memento has that in my book.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
quote: I hope Lara Fabian is up for an Oscar, if not wins it.[/quote]
I have a feeling she will be nominated for two oscars:
  • "The Dream Within" - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
  • "For Always" - A.I. Artificial Intelligence (although, I'm not sure if this song qualifies since it didn't appear in the film)
Other contenders for the best song category will probably be taken from "Moulin Rouge" & "Hedwig And The Angry Inch" (and possibly "Pearl Harbor").
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001
[Edited last by Michael Perez on September 22, 2001 at 01:27 PM]

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
How could anyone nominate Lord of the Rings Ali or Gangs of New York without first having screened them? That's a bit of a stretch!
I've only seen a few films this year that I would put in the "Oscar-worthy" category:
  • A.I.
  • Ghost World
  • Memento
  • The Pledge
  • Moulin Rouge
Overall, 2001 has been a very disappointing year for movies--almost as bad as last year.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Now, I don't know if the Academy will even consider Final Fantasy for a nomination in the Best Animated Feature category since the Annie Awards totally snubbed the movie.
~T

Roland G

Stunt Coordinator
The best movie i have seen all year
is
Jeunet s "Amelie form M."
so i hope it gets noticed in some way

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks