What's new

Where's the love for the Wii?!? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
My Son wants one for Christmas, but all the big stores are out. Anyone know when the next batch will be on sale?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Th latest rumors suggest that more Wiis will be available this Sunday (December 3rd) at Circuit City & Target stores. Next Thursday (December 6th) for Wal-Mart. It looks like Best Buy and the GameStop/EB Games stores receive new Wii stock on Fridays.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Let me see if I understand this correctly:
The Wii will play the Gamecube discs, but the older games will be downloaded from their web site. They charge for these games. Are the other features from their site free, or is there a monthly charge?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Interesting. I've heard "stories" of people supposedly smashing their expensive plasma screens but in those reports the users admitted that they either weren't using the strap or that they had it affixed "loosely" to their wrist. I wound think that the weakest link might be the thin part of the strap that attaches to the WiiMote but this is the first I heard of fraying.

Since I now have four of these WiiMotes I'll monitor them for excessive wear and tear. Of course the true test comes when the grandkids come over and get going. ;)

On one hand, I tend to think that some of these early reports are generally there to garner headlines. But on the other hand, if the symptoms persist then it's probably wise to be at least aware of any potential problem. It would be interesting if there was an inherent design flaw in the WiiMote strap (I'm not saying that there is, just thinking out loud) - I wonder how liable Nintendo would be for replacing displays if the strap broke in normal use.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Let me take a stab at some of this. Yes, you can use Gamecube discs but only with the original Gamecube remotes and memory (there are slots for all these including four Gamecube remotes on the Wii console.) And yes, you can download older games from "legacy" systems - generally in the $5-$10 range. To me most of this would be for their nostalgia value rather than their play value since more modern games are far more developed. Nintendo does state that, unlike the XBox Live versions of classics which have in many cases been updated, the Wii "legacy" games are identical to the originals. Also, once you purchase the game you are entitled to download it again at any time to the Wii that you have it registered on. This takes care of the fact that the Wii doesn't have a hard drive (yet). Call it "old games on demand" if you like.

;)

As far as I can tell the other features on online Wii access (other than the shopping mall purchases) are free. There was some talk of charging for internet surfing but I've heard that Nintendo may keep it free - or at least not charge people who purchase Wii units in the first six months or so. They would be grandfathered, so the rumor goes. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

A good source of information can be found in the Wii Tips and Tricks posting - a copy of which appears as a sticky at the top of the Video Hardware pages here. I assume that this information will be updated and/or corrected on a regular basis as soon as more is known.

A sidenote: As of yesterday, Wii Weather and Wii News had not yet gone "live" so I can't give you too much information about them. All and all, an extremely flexible system with a lot of potential - some realized and some waiting in the wings.

As they say, "Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !"

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

They were talking about having to buy the Opera software required to openly surf the internet (vs. Wii Shop, Weather, etc) after the 6 month period where Nintendo will pay for it to be included in the box gratis. After that, so the talk goes, you will have purchase the browser. At least, that is what I read.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
As to those breaking their TVs I wonder what the heck they are doing. A few years back, someone through a beer can at my 56" Sony HDTV (projection) and, while half full, it simply bounced off. The screen shook for a while, but it didn't crack wide open. I'm wondering how the heck hard these people are throwing their wiimote. The thing is not that heavy, so you'd have to have a really good amount of force behind it.

I'm wondering if some people didn't do it "semi" on purpose to get some net fame and to play to the crowds.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Reggie Fils-Aime was interviewed by MTV News this last week about release plans for 2007. As I suspected Super Mario Galaxy has been pushed back. Fils-Aime says that it could hit anywhere between the end of March and the end of 2007, which the game sites are taking as code for Holiday 2007. Metroid Prime: Corruption was mentioned as coming sometime after the first quarter.

Link to MTV News.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Regarding the Wii-mote straps:

I saw it happen at a Festivus (that's right) party this weekend where there was a lot of Wii action I was proud to take part of. (And then I scored my own Wii the next morning by standing in the cold on no sleep--'nother story). Awesome system.

Ironically, I had just tightened the strap on the girl's wrist because I was afraid she'd drop it. BTW, remotes were dropped many times, on a thinly carpeted surface with no ill effects. She was playing Wii tennis and lost her grip. The Wii-mote flew across the room, striking the wall with great force. Good thing it wasn't a person. I can see fractured skulls on the horizon.

Granted, this was a party and the girl was maybe a little tipsy, and I think I was the only one taking care that my hands were clean and not greasy from chips. Though in tennis training and boxing last night at home my palms were getting a little sweaty, so they can get a bit slippery if you don't take breaks.

The strap ripped out of the bottom of the remote just like in the pictures on that story, so it will probably be a common occurrence. I think a better design, basically just a stronger cable inside, is in order. That will likely occur in future production runs. Perhaps if suits pop up, there will be some kind of recall for consumers even. This is going to be a party console and these things are going to happen. It was played for close to 12 hours nonstop I bet. It really shouldn't happen, but I can see it happening accidentally even for those who are careful and not buzzed. And, naturally, for kids.

That said, the remote survived hitting the wall just fine. Built like a tank.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Sadly I think it's going to be _when_ suits pop up. Heck, I'm even waiting for someone to sue because they got punched in the face while their friend was playing the boxing game. I hope lawsuits don't kill this innovative system before it had a chance...

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Nintendo has been extremely careful to place warnings on all of their Wii game packaging, inside instruction manuals and in-game caution notices. I think think they've covered their ass pretty well. People might try to sue, but I doubt they'll be successful.

I'm sorry, but I've logged-in enough time on my Wii to have my Wii-mote down to 2 bars of battery life now and not once has it flown out of my hands during some rather aggressive Wii Sport moments. The only reason why this is happening is because they are letting go of the controller as they follow through with a swing or a throw. The wrist strap is meant to keep the Wii-mote from falling in case of an accidental slip. It is not a license to go nuts and play recklessly.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I just dropped my wife off at WalMart. She is first in line and is going to camp out all night for when they go on sale again @ 8:00am tomorrow. I would have stayed but the kids need watching & I have work.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Robert - I received the e-mail as well. It only reiterates what Nintendo has been saying all along. Regardless, people will still misuse the controller and want to blame Nintendo when their own ignorance is to blame.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
My Mother hit my dog in the face who was sitting with his front legs on and body sprawled across an ottoman watching her play because he was fascinated by her motions. Ours is a dog oriented family, all dogs live to have playdate time at Mom Central. We always bring ours, usually when a couple of siblings are there at one time, - this means 6 of four-footers running around (amuck).
It will now be a priority to police the dogs who play together at our feet in the living room while Wiiiiiiing.

Thankfully, - it was not a hard hit, but (her bad) he does own the border collies sensitive nature and he never forgets ANYTHING.

I spontaneously gave a little dance as I passed through my living room last night as I heard some ditty song on the TV, while conversing with my husband.
We both died laughing when our dog froze and suspiciously checked out both my hands, - looking for a Wii controller. :laugh:

I have been recommending to parents I know that Wii will make them much happier when they note their kids are not sitting cross-legged catching flys in open mouth with slack expressionless faces.

Of the evils of gaming Vs outdoor living for children. Wii is the only one you want for growing kids. I do have a S-I-L who has already stated she is NOT getting it, because she already is ground zero for all the neighborhood kids. She does not want them jumping around the room, but I will lay odds she will break down and own one within a year.

Personally not one of us in my extended family who have taken a shot at Wii (about 25 different ages and abilities) have ever released a remote during play even though we sometimes neglect to wear the strap.

We have had to back youngest members up (away) from the screen as they tend to ‘walk up on it’ during a some of the game choices, (bowling is one) where they get so in to the realism, - they take hugh strides down on the TV while releasing their 'ball'.

I’m counting that the something for nothing (due to their own stupidity - libel inclined crowd) will lose this one, and we can all keep our wii’s

How many times have I had to remind while helping, - and seen countless coaches rag on young players over slinging a bat during baseball practice. (An action which can have deadly consequences) It will be a learning curve for a few people, - but can be dealt with with a little common sense and watchfullness over the first several times the youngest players interact with Wii.

Umm no really-drunk Wiiers' would probally be a good rule to implement. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Casey,

You really should give us some warning in case we are drinking something while browsing the HTF. I nearly spit up my drink all over my computer monitor when I saw those two sites.

:laugh: :laugh:

Excellent!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Of course, really drunk Wiiers and very young children are probably on about the same level of coordination. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks