What's new

Where's the love for The Changeling (1980)? (1 Viewer)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
One of my favourite scary movies and have had the old HBO snapcase DVD for ages. Anyone hear anything about this being released on blu? It certainly could use the upgrade ....

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
Lots of love from me! Nothing like a skillfully crafted, suspenseful chiller, with great actors. Smaller films like this, I fear for their future on high-def, but if something like Vanishing Point can get a blu ray release, anything is possible. Now Miracle Mile on the other hand...

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Thought I'd give this all too brief thread a bump! Watched the DVD of this only a few weeks ago and was again reminded of what a masterful piece of suspense/horror film making this is. Utterly superb acting from George C. Scott (would we expect anything less from him?!), great direction, atmosphere, locations, soundtrack, story. Pre-CGI (not a fan of the over-reliance on this tool these days) no bad language, no annoying teens, 'trendy' shaky-cam, no blood and gore. Just a fantastic story and a very tight script! If only we had more films like this these days (though Woman In Black was a recent stand-out). Would love to see this given the Criterion bluray treatment - what are the chances I wonder..... - John

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Excellent film.....a classic. Can't wait for the blu.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There's plenty of love for this film out here, there just ain't no Blu-ray! Who owns this title now? It was on the HBO label.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
eric scott richard said:
The only film that scared me so much (as an adult) that I ended up giving the dvd to my sister!
It scared Eric so much that he posted it twice! The Changeling: First day purchase. I wonder if Twilight can get their hands on this one...seems right up their alley.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
THE CHANGELING, like THE SILENT PARTNER, were both early Mario Kassar/Andrew Vajna productions for what became Carolco. HBO initially had rights to both for video (the first Vestron releases came through their overall deal with HBO at their inception), but since PARTNER has reverted back to StudioCanal, I suspect THE CHANGELING is theirs as well. In other words, chances are not very good for any release, standard def or Blu-Ray. :(

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark Edward Heuck said:
THE CHANGELING, like THE SILENT PARTNER, were both early Mario Kassar/Andrew Vajna productions for what became Carolco. HBO initially had rights to both for video (the first Vestron releases came through their overall deal with HBO at their inception), but since PARTNER has reverted back to StudioCanal, I suspect THE CHANGELING is theirs as well. In other words, chances are not very good for any release, standard def or Blu-Ray. :(
Although we did at least get a pretty decent DVD of SILENT PARTNER a couple of years ago from Lion's Gate, which does have rights to Studio Canal catalog titles. For a time, Lion's Gate was churning out lots of inexpensive DVD's (mostly Mirimax), but they've slowed way down, like MGM has.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks