What's new

Where's The Day After DVD? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I just want to see the melting cows! Grade 7 or 8 for me and I was not cool because my parental units didn't let me watch it. Didn't want to scar my fragile egg shell mind. Lotta good that did. LOL. Melting cows! Melting Cows! Heheh. I'm not sure if there really is anything quite like that, but kids in elementary school talk and that comment always stuck. I was the one who didn't see the horror! And of course, I live right next to a nuclear plant. Not exactly the same thing (not going to get started on heavy water nuke plants vs ICBM's) but anyways...

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Chris PC

The realism might have hit home more for those of us here in the US than in Canada since Russia still had nukes pointed at us and the cold war was still in memory for many.

The effects were crude but representative of the time and effective. Network television was dictated by code of ethics much stricter than today so the subject and graphic nature was taboo which added to the "need" to watch.

I seemed to remember (but must be wrong) that the movie played over two nights hence mini-series?

There is a British sister called Threads which is legitimately available as a Region 0 from the UK. It was a bit more graphic and detailed for the time because Europe is not as prudish and conservative as the US and had less strict, if no broadcast codes in effect then?

Eric

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member

It's been a long time since I saw either, but Threads is definitely the better film. It just has a greater sense of realism because the people seem like real people rather than being Jason Robards (who I like a lot as an actor, btw). It also deals with the subject of nuclear winter and follows the principle characters for some years after the war takes place. For instance the main woman gives birth to the baby she conceived before the war and we see the child grow into a young adult, who promptly gets raped, becomes pregnant and gives birth to dead 'thing' that doesn't really resembe anything human. Threads is more to do with the after effects of a nuclear war.

There was also a black and white film made in the 60s called The War Game which was more documentary style. That too was very unnerving to watch. This film is also available on PAL DVD.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My Panny won't convert PAL that I recall, although my line doubler can, so who knows.

Threads sounds cool. Where can that be found?

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw "The Day After" on the Laser's Edge home page, listed with a release date of 5/18. Their price was $10.49. However, I don't see it on Amazon or DVD Planet, and it doesn't show up on DVDPriceSearch.com. Has anyone seen this anywhere else? How does this price compare? (although, for

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Finally announced, as per DavisDVD:

Too bad it appears there won't be a commentary, especially since one already exists. But perhaps it still will be included and is just unannounced - something that has happened in the past.

P.S.: Jeez this May is probably the most expensive month ever for me...

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
SWEET! FINALLY! Anamoprhic widescreen AND the uncut 126 minute version.

The commentary on the laser wasn't that stellar, however. He did give some good details, but it was insanely sporadic...at times you'd forget the commentary was even on, there were so many looong empty gaps, and then when he'd come back on and say a few words it would scare the hell out of you.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What's with this widescreen thing? The movie was made for ABC Television and I am quite sure filmed at 1.33:1. That would mean it was cropped when issued to theaters overseas and released to laser disc, if I am not mistaken. If am mistaken, and it was filmed at 1.78:1, it would indicate amazing foresight on the part of ABC in terms of foreign theatrical release, and would also mean that the domestic t.v. broadcast was itself cropped. I suspect we are getting something very similar to the two Igmar Bergman films inappropriately letterboxed, which MGM recalled and is re-issuing. I personally hope for the full-screen edition. Too bad about losing the Nicholas Meyer commentary, but I am glad this is getting a domestic release.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Dick,

I am with you... what "is" up with the widescreen thing? This movie was made for television over 20-years ago and I haven't seen a widescreen version yet and surely they didn't think of widescreen presentations then? But on the other hand doesn't 35mm have more width than what is shown on a standard 4:3 screen? Maybe they are using that which was later used in European theater screenings?

Eric

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I'm also curious about the "WS status" of this, especially since it aired WS on German television back in the 80s. It was shown theatrically over here at first, though. So that may have something to do with it.

Chris

Randy Duncan

Auditioning
The Davis DVD announcement mentionedf "a newly created behind-the-scenes featurette."

Does anyone have any idea what this will contain? I've looked around and can't find any details on this anywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks