What's new

Where's the Best Place To Buy Vinyl in NYC? (1 Viewer)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
My vinyl collection is growing rapidly. I started with a couple of titles at the beginning of the year and now I'm approaching 50 or so records, mostly acquired online. I've never had so much fun buying music! There is so much stuff that never made it to CD it's ridiculous. So, I'm in NYC and I've found a couple of independent stores with a decent selection. I keep hearing about people in small cities and their "great" vinyl shops - it seems there are still lots of places that sell records throughout the U.S. but here in New York most of the shops seem to have disappeared and been replaced with Starbucks joints. Bleecker Street Records and Gimme Gimme Records on the Lower East Side are both good. Smallish, but good. I'm looking for a place that has a good selection of Dance and Freestyle titles, 80's New Wave, stuff like that. Any New Yorkers here can point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Luisito, Somewhat O/T-- I am with you 100% on vinyl purchasing. I own about 2,200 LPs at present. And last Friday morning, the music department at the university at which I work delivered about 1,000 LPs of theirs to my office. Here they sit, in several boxes. These are classical, folk, folk-rock, jazz, ethno, rock 'n roll, etc. Anyway, these will be put to good use. Now for the fun part. There are many titles that they would have discarded (as in thrown out!), which is why these ended up in my hands as the university music librarian. When I determine which of these LPs are not necessarily curriculum-related or are duplicates, these will be deselected (meaning that they will not end up in our catalog). And guess whose LP collection they end up in? ;)

Kenny_H

Stunt Coordinator
Have you tried J & R Music on Park Place? Their vinyl collection keeps on growing! The last time I was in there they had moved the Oldies/Dance music upstairs to make room for more vinyl!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Kenny_H said:
Have you tried J & R Music on Park Place? Their vinyl collection keeps on growing! The last time I was in there they had moved the Oldies/Dance music upstairs to make room for more vinyl!
Yup - I've noticed they have dramatically increased their vinyl shelf space, and it's a good thing but they usually only carry mainstream stuff. I found a couple of places that have a good selection of House and Dance: Disc-o-rama on 8th Street and A-1 Records on 6th. There's nothing like a good old, dusty, dingy record store to spend hours in.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Been quite a while since I went, but Good Records on E. 5th St is pretty cool. It's not big, but they have an eclectic selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks