What's new

where to plug in the subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

coop3422

Auditioning
Real Name
Garrett Cooper
Hi everyone, just got my speakers and reciever. I hooked them up last night and am having some troubles. The reciever is a sony str-de595. On the back for plug ins it has the following "front A(R&L) front B (R&L) centre, surround (R&L)" . for speakers i have panosonic, 2 front, 2 rear, a centre and a big subwoofer. So i plugged the 2 fronts into front A, the rears into the surround slots, centre into centre, and the subwoofer just into the right input for front B. Reason being is because the wireing for my sub is raw wire (red and balck, pos&neg) and on the back of the reciever it doesn't have that type of plug in for the subwoofer, on the back of the reciever is what almost looks like a headphoner jack style, and that is where it says subwoofer. So my problem is I am not getting much bass at all, and neither of my back speaker are working. Where should I have each speaker plugged in, and how should I hook up my subwoofer? Is there a converter or something to change the raw wire to the headphone jack looking plug in? Or am I pretty much stuck with stuff that won't work with eachother?:frowning: Thanks for the help everyone

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Is this a Powered subwoofer? (do you plug it into the wall?).

Does the sub have both red/black inputs and Red/black outputs?

What is the make and model of the sub?

The RCA Output on the back of your receiver is for a powered ( Active) sub. If you have a passive powered sub with red/black inputs and outputs then you want the connect the output from the Left and right fronts to the left and right inputs on the sub and the front speakers to the output red/black on the sub.

If the sub is not powered and from a old HTIB system and only has 1 Red and 1 Black input I would suggest buying a new powered sub. It's not made for your current receiver

coop3422

Auditioning
Real Name
Garrett Cooper
It isn't a powered subwoofer, it only has 1 red and black wire coming out of the back. The subwoofer model is a panasonic SB-W80. Is there any converter or anything I could get to use this, because I really like it, and don't want to have to buy a new one if there is a way for me to use my current one. Thanks

homthtr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
No there is no converter. The sub output is a line level (preamp) output. The only thing you could do is by a mono amp and amp the sub that way, but you couldn't guarantee any good results. You'll have to find yourself a powered sub. If it's a price pinch check out ebay for a used sub. Otherwise you can get any entry level sub which will do the trick. hooking your current sub to the B-speakers will get you some sound, but not at all what it should be producing. Sorry for the bad news, but time to go shopping...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks