1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to obtain firmware update for Magnavox NB500MG9?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Inspector Hammer!, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Well-Known Member

John Williamson
    This is odd, my friend wishes to update her Magnavox and neither she or I can find anywhere to get it, we even tried Magnavox's site and they didn't even have anything that had to do with BD anywhere! [​IMG]

I did a Google search with every possible combination of words I could think of and still nothing, just reviews and forums.

Where can she go to get a FW update for this player? Does she need to contact Magnavox and have them send her an update disc?

Thanks.

2. David Norman

David Norman Premium
    Supporter

It appears this is one of many players made by Funai for various labels.

The best I can find for you is this thread around post #195 on page 10 which also gives an email address. The short answer is that it doesn't look like Funai has released any FW updates for any of their players. From a quick read it doesn't seem to be a high priority for them either.

Funai BD Player - Owner's Thread (Magnavox. Sylvania, Insignia, etc.) - Blu-ray Forum

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Well-Known Member

John Williamson
    Thanks, David. [​IMG]

It sounds as though Funai rushed into the market with no thought given to the longevity of their products. They essentially created BD players that are just waiting to become obsolete. [​IMG]

4. David Norman

David Norman Premium
    Supporter

I've looked some more and can't find anything indicating Funai has released any FW updates. There was one 'review' by someone with a Sylvania who said he had updated from FW 1.6 to 2.6 which he had gotten from the manufacturers site in early October, but I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere on any other forum or at Sylvania (who doesn't even have the BR listed on their product list much less in the support section).

After reading more of the review i actually wonder if the guy had a Sony product. Amazon actually has a list of FW websites, but none of the Funai OEM products have FW links.

5. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Well-Known Member

Dennis
    There's a long thread on the Funai players over at AVS forum. The upshot is that there isn't any FW upgrade either existing or planned.

6. wiltonsmith27

wiltonsmith27 New Member

It appears that funai planned for the blu-ray player to be obsolete. Should be a class action law suit.

7. honeybl

honeybl New Member

8. ecamacho21

ecamacho21 New Member

http://www.funaiservice.com/ Browse to "Blu-ray player" and locate the model number. Follow the instructions on how to download the update.