What's new

where to buy svideo to RCA cable (1 Viewer)

David_Sietsema

Auditioning
I am trying to hook my laptop up to the TV, and need a cable that goes from svideo to RCA. I went to radio shack, and i would have had to buy a converter, and the the cables for each end, which would have been $50.

Is there a place online where I can order just one cable that would do that? I didn't get one with my computer unfortunatly. (I have a compaq 2800T)

MattJP

Agent
Maybe you can try the Apple store...I have cable like this that came with my G4 Powerbook.

David_Sietsema

Auditioning
Thank you guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. I bought the converter from parts express, and a 12' video cable to go along with it.

- David

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David,
(Totally unrelated matter).
Your name proves its Dutch descent (in fact even more accurate: Frisian). Do you speak some of it yourself?
Welcome aboard! A bit late welcome perhaps, but I noticed you're going to stay with us. :)
Cees

David_Sietsema

Auditioning
Thanks for the warm welcome. :)
Nice to know someone that knows my name is Dutch. I don't speak any of it myself though. My grandparents are into geneology though, so they do a lot of research on our dutch ancestors (sp?).

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
One thing of note: The signal types for Compsoite RCA and Y/C Svideo are completely different-- so more than an "adapter" is necessary to convert the signals.

Passive notch filters like these degrade signal quality greatly vs. a real signal converter, and I would always recommend spending the extra couple bucks on any device that you actually care about quality.

-Vince

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The site Ron linked you to is the way to go. The adapters with a composite cable on it or what ever will definitly be degraded, and I promise you won't be happy.
I know as I've used them.
www.Svideo.com carry (straight shot) cables that work "very very well". Cost a little more but "very reasonable". They have 4 pin and 7 pin S-Vid to RCA all in one cable, not a spliter or adaptor. Not as perfect as Vince's pricey suggestion, but much much better than the passive adaptor your looking to try.
I was very skeptical and felt it would degrade the S-Vid sigal just as bad as the PE adaptor and good composite cable did, but it was "not anywhere close" to as bad as the picture when using the PE passive adaptor.
They come in 1 3 6 12 24-ft lengths. Fast shipping and free shipping.
Regards
Geoff

xiaobao12

Grip
Real Name
Loewi Lin
Hi guys,

Newbie to this forum....just trying to do the same thing as the original poster. I have an old Samsung Analog TV (28 inch) and an older Toshiba laptop that has a VGA and a S-video connection. My ultimate idea is to set up a wireless network where the the laptop can access the files on my desktop in another room, then play these files on the TV in my bedroom (connected with a S-video to RCA cable). Can this work?

About hooking up the laptop to the TV, is it crucial to use good cables? Geoff, I found the cables you were talking about here:

http://www.eforcity.com/pothsvdoaud8.html?int=efsechtxtrigos-item

About 10 bucks cheaper than www.svideo.com. Will I see a difference in quality or does it really matter?

Also, if this setup does work, will the quality be pretty mediocre on the TV? I would like to be able to watch movies from my bed. The TV is about 1.5 feet from the foot of my bed!

Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks