What's new

Where is the weak link in this setup..... (1 Viewer)

w/respect to the following problem; When playing just about any movie the dialouge is very quiet and I often have to turn the volume up so high that as soon as the movie cuts to action seen I am scrambling for the remote to turn it down(I live in an apartment). I realise that this is not a new issue and it has been a complaint by multiple folks, which is why I am trying to figure out how to improve my system to help reduce the problem.

Rotel RMB 1075
Rotel RSP 1066
Denon DVD 2200
4 X Paradigm Studio 20 V2
Paradigm Studio CC
Paradigm PSW 1000
I am Using Rhino cbale interconnects from Rotel to Rotel and from TV to DVD. All other interconnects are random Monster/AR cables.

I have used Video Essentials to try and calibrate the system(w/my trusty RS Analog SPL meter). However, the problem is still the same.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've been noticing the same thing lately w/ my setup (Elite 43TX Receiver, Swan's Diva 4.1, C3, 2.1 speakers, AV12 sub, Bravo D1 DVD). I think it's more our ears and how we expect a movie to sound. When you hear a 100db (or louder) explosion, the 70db conversation that follows is going to sound soft and hard to understand. Our ears adjust, and that adjustment takes time. Once they've adjusted back to the 70db dialogue, the next 100db explosion is going to sound extremely loud in comparison. When equipment gets to the point that it can reproduce sound so accurately and in such a wide dynamic range it gets to the point where the realism can actually hurt the enjoyment of the film. This is just my take on it, and there could be an explanation out there that makes more sense. If so i'd love to hear it, cuz playing remote-jockey throughout a whole movie is no fun indeed.

Mike<>

Auditioning
your processor/receiver should have a night/midnight/quiet mode that compresses the dynamic range. this is a pretty common feature, and would correct the problem.

one of two things is happening here - either your center or sub is not calibrated correctly, or that's just how the movie is supposed to sound.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
this may be an issue of the placement of your center channel as well as the other speakers. if you haven't tilted your center channel down a bit to point it more directly to where your sitting, give it a shot. angled door stops work fairly well.

Nice to know I am not the only one Stephen :)

As for the suggestions, I wil go back into VE and re-calibrate the sound portion and see if that helps. Thanks for the tilting suggestion for the center channel Chu. CUrrently mine is just sitting ontop of my tv laying flat. I will slide by home depot and pick up a couple door stops tomorrow! :)

Thanks for all the quick responses!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is your center behind or flush with the face of the TV? If so, try gettng the front baffle of the center in front of the face of the TV. Doorstops may be a bit too large of a tilt (depending on what you buy), so look around when you are at Home Depot, you may find other similar ideas.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
This may be an offshoot of the same theory but I moved my center to a shelf directly below my TV (from above) and it made a huge difference in dialog clarity and dynamic range. Like John said above, I'm careful to make sure that the speaker baffle extends slightly beyond the TV screen. Is this an option in your setup?

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

I used to experience the same thing until I angled my center towards the listening position. Also make sure to recheck calibrations after angling because I got a 1dB increase by angling it.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I moved my center forward a bit, and angled it towards the listening spot. It made a big difference. If after that (and after you've calibrated it) its still seems a bit soft, you can always just put a few more db into your center channel via the receiver's individual volume adjustment.

- Cryo

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I commented on the center channel but I forgot to comment on the thread topic:). I would say the weakest link is the subwoofer in your system.

Unforutnetly JR, that isnt an option for my setup. I took a few digital pictures of my setup to post, but I am having a problem posting them.

I picked up some small doorstops and I played the Matrix 2 and the voices still seemed reallllly quiet.

JG - I did have it flush witht he front of the TV, but since I put the Doorstops under the rear I have moved it backa bit. Don't want any accidents :)

I will work on getting some pictures up for those that are curious about my ongoing oddyssey :)

FC + JS - Thanks, I will try that next! :)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i've heard alot of people say that the center channel on top is better, but i prefer having it on the bottom. it is also angled directly at the listener. also make sure to measure the distance from center to listener, and if your equipment has the option, which i'm sure it does, make sure it's spot on as far as distance goes. my center is also the same volume on test discs as every other speaker including my sub. i'm sure all of this is on the VE disc, but could get overlooked. you got a really nice system, and there's no reason it should perform like that, unless you haven't calibrated your ears lately, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks