What's new

Where Is New Line Cinema? - Merged, also see post #72 (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'm baffled. New Line remains the only major studio not releasing in HD. We heard back at CES, they were going to be on board with Warner's TotalHD..but even Warner is moving forward with releases without the Total HD discs. The other oddity is that NL is under Warner. :confused:

Think back to 1997 and NL was one of the firsts with DVD catalog hits like The Mask, Austin Powers, The Long Kiss Goodnight, Dark City, and more that I can't think of now. :D

And think of all the big hits since then.....like Magnolia, Austin Powers Sequels, Final Destination, Blade, Rush Hour, Se7en, Wedding Crashers, and um....Lord Of The Rings. :cool:

And now they just released the critically acclaimed Pan's Labyrinth on dvd with no hint at all about an HD release. :frowning:

What are they waiting for?

We're now over a year into this thing and not a peep.

Alot of their stuff would be HUGE sellers.

Please, New Line, give us some content in High Definition. :)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I agree completely! The only reason I put Pan's Labyrinth back on the shelf this week is because I really really wanted an HD version. This nagging voice in my head kept telling me that if I just waited a little longer, just a little longer.... *sigh*

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
They really missed a golden opportunity to kick things off with Pan's Labyrinth. I get the feeling this would have done very well for them- at least I know I would have blind bought a copy of it. But like Chris, I just couldn't/wouldn't waste my time with a sd version at this point, knowing an HD version has to come out someday.

That said though, I did get it from Netflix, and while I haven't watched it yet, the few scenes I did see looked excellant. It would of course look better in HD- but it actually looked fine enough that I wouldn't have been disappointed had I actually bought it.

I wish I knew what New Lines problem was. I was fully expecting them to have had some good catalog stuff out by now, and I was especially looking forward to that longer cut of The New World the producer had mentioned was going to be out last winter. Maybe by the time that Dark City SE hits...(shouldn't have said anything, probably just jinxed it)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
New Line would get my vote for most disappointing studio when it comes to HD if it weren't for Fox who gets the top spot for the sheer amount of desirable titles and so many empty promises.

LOTR extended cut, Se7en and Dark City are my most desired titles in HD, though there are several more I'd like to own.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

The highest selling title for both formats was a popular movie with a day-and-date release which sold about 50k copies. Studio's aren't exactly missing much of an opportunity with piddley numbers like that.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony
I loved this movie. It was #2 after Children of Men for me last year.
I would definitely double dip this one, but I won't.
I just don't feel it when I go to the store knowing without a doubt that I will be double dipping a title. I can't bring myself to do it anymore. And trust me, I'm a major double and triple dipper, just on DVD! I'm not even counting VHS and Laser Disc.

As for New Line... well they are letting alot of $$$$ slip through their fingers at this moment. I'm not just talking Pan's Labyrinth but mainly their catalog titles. Not even Lord of the Rings, I think it might be too soon for them to let that one out of the bag just yet. They have tons of other stuff that's ready to go. Franchises I'm talking about. Rush Hour, Blade, Austin Powers. Then they have Dark City, Seven, Boogie Nights, Magnolia etc. etc. So either they really can't make up their minds or they are just building anticipation for their catalog.

Either way I wish they would just jump in already! :)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I think the problem is, it costs more money to produce in HD then the studios are making for the sales. Other then a few releases, my guess is there is little money to be made by the studios at the current time. If fact, I would bet they lose money on most releases.

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tony

I agree with you on that. The studios are definitely losing money all around
on HD. But, as they say, you have to spend money to make money. If New Line would jump in, their start up costs would be high but, they'd get the ball rolling on their HD market. They'd also help bring in new HD customers, which is what they need to start making money. They will eventually have to make the investment in HD anyway. I guess they want to lose as little as possible by waiting. It might not be a bad idea. If everybody had thought like that there wouldn't have been a format war. But then we wouldn't be enjoying our HD disks so...;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sad, too, considering how strongly New Line supported DVD in its infancy.

For a long time between May 1997-early 1998, I would say 30-40% of my DVDs were New Line titles.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I would certainly love to get my hands on the Nightmare on Elm Street series in HD...but maybe that's just me.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Hopefully, New Line will be making a few entries in the 4th quarter.

If not LOTR, then hopefully some of the other titles some have already listed here.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

after finally sitting down to watch it, I have to agree. Just a spell binding piece of work. This has now vaulted to the top of my "can't wait till this gets released on HD" list.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Regarding Pan's Labyrinth....there is hope, albeit an expensive one:

I actually gave myself a headache reading that but it looks like we can this for about $75 US dollars. :crazy:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree where is New Line Cinema? Why are they not anouncing titles and letting anyone know what is being planned? I can not wait to have Lord Of The Rings in HD, hopefully it will be on Blu-ray! NLC was a decent library and they should be releasing titles in HD instead of sitting on the sidelines. It has allways been my opinion that New Line was a cutting edge studio. But with the lack of HD anouncements from New Line I am not sure they are so cutting edge anymore.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not worried "NL" isn't in the war now. It's a war after all & one with very little payoff today, yet a lot to lose today & tomorrow.
That being said: I'd LUV to see the extended cut of "The New World" on HD DVD by 4Q or this time next year at the latest.
Here's hoping!!!

That "LotR" thing looks like a KILLER package!!! :-0

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Seriously when is New Line going to wake up and finally start releasing titles on either format? In a few weeks "The Last Mimzy" will be released but sadly only on SD-DVD. I really wanted to pick this up on HD-DVD as well.

Now I can understand waiting on huge titles like "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy but at least they should be already releasing their new titles on at least one if not both formats.

Can someone please explain to me what New Line's hold up is? I just don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks