What's new

Where is Mary Tyler Moore Season 5? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Well, that's nice but all those shows are available on DVD at least partially. I'm thinking more of the classic 50's and 60's shows that American Life has on their schedule. I mean just look at these series:

The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Mayberry RFD
The Lone Wolf
The FBI
77 Sunset Strip
Bourbon Street Beat
Harry O
Hawaiian Eye
Surfside 6
Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Bronco
Cheyenne
Sugerfoot
Maverick
My Favorite Martian

As far as I know, only two of these shows have any season sets, and none of them are completed. To top it off I seriously doubt more than one or two of these will ever be shown again on a national network, and even that would be in some severely butchered way. Nope, this network may be our last chance at getting these series, because I'll be danged if the WB is going to release any of the ones they own! We all know better, don't we.

Gary "hopefully someone is archiving these great series - I know I'll never make the mistake of letting a classic series I love air on television without me preserving them on dvd" O.

jeffy3

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
I am new here but found this forum when searching for info on MTM season 5 on dvd. What a great forum this is! I just have some various responses to a lot of the different posts.
1) It's funny how we have a sense of entitlement to a whole series once they start releasing seasons. But as others have said it's a business so if they don't sell well it makes sense to stop putting future seasons out. But dammit! I want seasons 5 6 and 7!
2) Maybe they should've released the series in reverse order, as this was one of the few shows that got better with age. In fact, I would suggest that those who had a good memory of the series and bought season one may have been let down and not bother with the rest. Season one, in my opinion, had very few laughs in it and had way too many dull episodes of Mary dating boring guys. Even season 2 was spotty but the show really became the show I remembered during season 3 and especially season 4.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff

I completely agree with this assessment. I think the two strongest seasons were 4 & 5.

I'm currently in the process of transferring my old video tapes of seasons 5-7 onto DVD-R's; season 5 is a real winner. I'm grateful that the two small boxed sets of commercial VHS tapes that I own are not copy protected, that gives me 9 uncut episodes from the last three seasons. The editing of the Nick@Nite and TVLand versions is appalling. An uncut episode runs approximately 26 min.; a Nick@Nite episode (after commercials) runs approximately 22 min., 30 sec.; and, a TVLand episode runs 22 min. on the dot. That's a lot of missing material!

jeffy3

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff

Not only are the edits appalling, but I remember a few years ago catching a lot of MTM episodes on Saturday mornings on TV Land and the picture and sound quality always looked like they were taped underwater!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
jeffy3, I totally agree about releasing it in reverse order. And also that many casual buyers were probably very disappointed in S1. It really has only a couple of episodes to recommend it.

Hopefully, it will be licensed out to someone by Fox, and we'll see the remaining seasons one day.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Although, for me my favorite episode ever is "The Snow Must Go On" from season 1

Go figure!

But I do love the show better once Sue Ann shows up...

MTMFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Kristen
I don't think Season 1 was as bad as some of you make it out to be, but I do think the series got better every year. Maybe reverse order is not such a bad idea. It wouldn't really make much sense now, though. LOL

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator

I love the snow episode....Chuckles the Clown announcing the winner of the election is PRICELESS!!!!

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
The Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, WKRP in Cincinatti and The Bob Newhart Show premiere on American Life TV this Monday. It appears that they are showing them in order. Let's see how they are edited or compressed.

I'm going to have to buy a DVD recorder for these. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Also didn't help that Season 1 had a pretty high price when it first came out with the SRP of $50. You create sticker shock from the start, you don't get the same return action.

Real Name
Ken
Panasonic makes great DVD recorders. I don't have American Life on my cable system but I remember them airing some series uncut.

droach75

Auditioning
Real Name
darrell roach
I really hope they release the last 3 seasons

As a UK fan of The Mary Tyler Moore Show,,there isn't much love for the show,,compared to say Happy Days,which has been repeated plenty of times.

Part of the Shows problem,,is in the UK,,when the show first started i believe the BBC aired about 2 seasons worth of episodes. Then when Channel 4 started in the early 80's they started showing the show from the beginning. But then again,,only aired about 2 series worth.

does anyone know of any UK satellite channels that have aired TMTMS,,,cos i have seen Rhoda occasionally on the Paramount comedy channel.

Alan Lee UK

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that The Family Channel, which existed from 1993-97 in the UK started showing Mary Tyler Moore, but I don't know which episodes they showed, or how far they got before The Family Channel morphed into Challenge TV.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Just bumping this up, wondering if anyone has heard any more news about a possible season 5. Fox said there wouldn't be a season 2... and then you see what happened. I'm just glad they fixed the color problems from season 2. In seasons 1 and 2, the color balance was off in the opening credits, Mary's name being a chartreuse color instead of the bright yellow/gold, and the blue of the background was faded. On another forum I belong to, one of the members worked on the DVD transfers of those, so I busted his chops about those opening credits, and he emailed me privately and said... "I just never thought anyone would notice". Just goes to show some of the problems of quality control on shows are just downright laziness.... and I noticed after I complained (and several other chimed in agreeing with me) then seasons 3 and 4 were fixed, and the opening looked as it should. Sometimes the squeaky wheel DOES get the grease.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
What other high profile shows do Fox still have on the shelf? They've got one season of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea still on the shelf and then the Irwin Allen collection is done (although Lost In Space needs to be retransfered).

I'm just waiting for the next buy one get one free sale to pick up seasons 3 & 4 of Mary and Bob.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

The other high profile show that Fox has seemingly abandoned is "THE BIG VALLEY." That one is sitting out in no-man's land and needs to be picked up!

Gary "no question Fox has a number of classics in limbo at this point" O.

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I would say your best bet on that is to DVDR them off Encore Westerns and then if they ever put more out you can chuck the discs. But at least this way you know you'll have them.

Hank "I wish Encore would pick up more rare series to run" Dearborn

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Hank, get out of my mind!!! :alien:

LOL, that's exactly what I've been doing with THE BIG VALLEY. I've got all of Seasons 3 & 4 already, and will secure the remainder of Season 2 when it rolls around again in another month or so.

Gary "and I too wish Encore Westerns would pick up some more series - it's about the best bet we have for uncut, decent looking westerns" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks