What's new

Where is Journeyman on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Where is this series on DVD? If Cantebury's Law gets announced with 6 episode, this should definately be out....[/spoiler]

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Yeah I would buy it too, also wondering why Women's Murder Club and New Amsterdam not been announced yet either, thought they would get a release too

paul_austin

Second Unit
it sucks that the strike killed Journeyman, I still think they might have toughed it out if not fot the strike

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
I read somewhere that its coming outsometime next fall . i'm not sure when . i read it somewhere on the net.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can answer that. No Dave is not the same one who wrote it...Although, he wishes he did. :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
He wants the money, not the blame.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
todd s said:
I can answer that. No Dave is not the same one who wrote it...Although, he wishes he did. :D
I would've made it clock in longer than the 89 minutes or whatever it came in at.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
JOURNEYMAN might be tough on DVD, as it's chock full of identifiable pop music. Like COLD CASE, the music helps to identify the year in which the episode happens to be focused on.
I DVR'd the series last year, and we've been watching it. As it plays I'm noticing all of the pop music in the background. It could be a stumbling block, but like others in this thread, I'd buy an officially released version in a heartbeat, even though my off-air copies don't look too terrible.
Harry

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I remember quite a few. "Sex and Candy" when he was in the late '90s. I think it was "Get Down Tonight" on the airplane.

Dustin James

Stunt Coordinator
There is a lot of pop music used. Who knows if that is the reason keeping this from being released on DVD or if there simply isn't enough perceived demand (add me to the list of people who would buy it on DVD).
NBC.com still has a section up for the show, including a listing of the music used for each episode (at least through episode 10): NBC.com - Journeyman
Also, on the NBC forums, someone has done a good job of listing the songs in the order they are used in each episode along with a description of the scene: NBC > ♫ Music from JOURNEYMAN ♫

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
JOURNEYMAN might be tough on DVD, as it's chock full of identifiable pop music. Like COLD CASE, the music helps to identify the year in which the episode happens to be focused on.
I DVR'd the series last year, and we've been watching it. As it plays I'm noticing all of the pop music in the background. It could be a stumbling block, but like others in this thread, I'd buy an officially released version in a heartbeat, even though my off-air copies don't look too terrible.
Harry
I don't think this is the problem. Unlike tv shows in the past. Most shows make provisions for a dvd release. So music rights would have probably been negotiated when the they first approached the rights holders.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
todd s said:
I don't think this is the problem. Unlike tv shows in the past. Most shows make provisions for a dvd release. So music rights would have probably been negotiated when the they first approached the rights holders.
Or so we've come to understand.
What then is the reason that COLD CASE is nowhere to be found on DVD, when that current-era show features at least one song prominently in every episode?
Harry

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A lot of current releases have had to have been altered. Vegas lost the Elvis song, I believe. Friday Night Lights lost a few. I think it must still be too expensive to negotiate usage rights, even when you're not doing it retroactively.

Mary_P

Second Unit
My understanding is that for "Cold Case," the producers had to choose between licensing the songs for broadcast only or not getting them licensed at all, that it was prohibitively expensive to license them for both broadcast and DVD.
The situation may be the same for "Journeyman," that they couldn't afford to clear all the rights upfront.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Mary_P said:
DVD.
The situation may be the same for "Journeyman," that they couldn't afford to clear all the rights upfront.
This makes a lot of sense, and given that JOURNEYMAN uses even more pop music per episode than COLD CASE, it could very well be a limiting factor for DVD.
Of course, the music used is a nicety in JOURNEYMAN - giving clues to those of us in the audience as to just what year our hero has been transported. It would be missed, but I could see the studio substituting generic music if they thought a DVD of the series would sell.
Harry

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I actually don't like wall-to-wall music all that much. It seems like a lazy way (probably read: less expensive than period details, in reality) to establish a moment in time. But, once the decision was made to include it, I have a tough time supporting a release even if I know the studio's hands are tied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks