What's new

Where is "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere"???!!! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So Jeff...it sounds like then you are okay to give your oficial blessing to an R1 release of St. Elsewhere?! :D
Doesn't anyone know if that UK release in March means anything towards getting an R1 release?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
...with shoulders slumped, Mike shuffles back to his easy chair to await the eventual good news from Dave. Realizing it may take years, he takes with him a large supply of Cheez Doodles and Diet Pepsi...and his snow globe of St. Eligius.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If "St Elsewhere" is only released in a region or regions other that R1, then I'll buy from that non-R1 region. I have absolutely no problem with spending my hard earned $$$$ in another part of the world. Those persons &/or companies that serve MY INTERESTS best will get my hard earned entertainment money!

IanKG

Auditioning
series 2 gets its release on 12/6/06 in the uk as well. More bad news for people who can only get r1 :-( hsb s2 gets its release on the same day.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If "St Elsewhere" is only released in a region or regions other that R1, then I'll buy from that non-R1 region. I have absolutely no problem with spending my hard earned $$$$ in another part of the world. Those persons &/or companies that serve MY INTERESTS best will get my hard earned entertainment money!
Well...I've just never had the need to get one of those cheap DVD players that have the region-free hacks. But, if St. Elsewhere is going to be released in R2-only, I guess it's time. ;)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

The correct date is 6/12/06 for Series 2 of HSB. If you were looking at play.com for dates they list date first and month 2nd for some odd reason. maybe thats just how they do it over there.

As for St.Elsewhere S1 that comes out in R2 according to Play.com on 3/6/06 thats a month from today. But Amazon.UK doesn't have any listings for st.elsewhere but they do have listings for HSB which seems odd.

So if we don't hear anything by the end of february on R1 releases coming for St.Elsewhere i am jumping in for the R2 Sets. I had to do that with Ally Mcbeal and i don't mind doing it again. There was a ton of modern music used in St. Elsewhere, why do i have the feeling they are having clearance issues ala Ally.

MattHR

Screenwriter
The correct date is 6/12/06 for Series 2 of HSB. If you were looking at play.com for dates they list date first and month 2nd for some odd reason. maybe thats just how they do it over there.
Yep. It's a European thing. The ISO has been pushing for an internet standard recognizing an "International Date Format" that would make the release date look like 2006-06-12 (year-month-day). If the standard was adhered to, it would eliminate much confusion regarding dates between international sites.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Well...I've just never had the need to get one of those cheap DVD players that have the region-free hacks
I use a multi-regional JVC XVSA-70 that does PAL-to-NTSC conversion. That is not a CHEAP player that you have to HACK. It provided those abilities out of the box. Give JVB a try. This is where I bought my DVD player from. They're a fine company that provided top of the line service to me.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I also have a JVC multi PAL/NTSC player. Works great; right out of the box as Jeff_HR said. I bought it for that "special" TV/DVD set that may or may not get released to R1 someday. I'd guess that's why most here would buy this type of player. I only have two R2 TV/DVD sets in my entire TV/DVD collection. I'd rather buy R1 but sometimes we "do what we have to." :D It's only my opinion here, but if we had some way of knowing what's in production, or where any legal/clearance issues stand, it would make it easier to wait (or decide to get the R2 set) of a particular series. I realize that the studios have their reasons to keep news confidential until an official announcement. Just my stance, but for those two R2 sets that I bought, I will still get the R1 set if they are released someday.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...this looks like an opportunity for me to receive a little education.

Why would you buy the R1 version of a TVonDVD set after you've already purchased the same set from R2? Especially if you've got the necessary player to handle the R2 discs? Seems to me like it would be an unecessary double-dip...but maybe I'm missing something!

Are there usually some kind of difference between R1 & R2 sets of American TV shows? Color me curious.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
R2 speedup, Mike. That would be the main reason for many people.
I have an el cheapo Cyberhome CH-DVD 300. About $35-$40 most places. No "hack", just a not-very-secret series of 3 button presses on the remote to make it multi-region. Available at any Wal-Mart, Best Buy or Radio Shack. I have one in every room where I watch DVDs! :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I have one in every room where I watch DVDs!
Gee, Dave, it must be nice to be rich :laugh: "It couldn't happen to a :cool:'er guy." After all, Gord and you are our big news-breakers :emoji_thumbsup: If I were "King" for a day, you guys would be living in an Elvis-mansion in Memphis with a TV/DVD machine that cranks out releases at the push of a remote-controlled button :D
Back (finally) on thread topic: Anyone have any mfg defects detected yet in their Hill St sets? I've only viewed the 1st ep so far. I'm a little behind with my viewing, but I'll have 2 weeks (the NHL will be on hiatus due to the Olympics :frowning: , so I'll be watching a lot of TV/DVD's in the next 2 wks.
I'd completely forgotten the 1st ep of HSB. Been too long since its original airing, I guess. I didn't watch this series much in syndication. One benefit (of living in a sports-telecast "cave" :D ) is that these early eps are the same as watching them for the 1st time.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
SIGNIFICANT said:
If you had read earlier posts in this thread you would see that I had reported on the 1st five episodes. Those 5 episodes are OK except for a very minor & very brief flicker of brightness in episode 1. I only noticed it because I was looking for problems. I'll continue to report as I watch the series.
I hope someone will do this with "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" as I may have to delay my purchase for a short time. Thanks!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Gee, Dave, it must be nice to be rich :laugh:
Hardly. These players cost about $30 or $40 each. I have on in the living room, one in the bedroom, and one next to my computer. Those 3 Cyberhomes together cost less than the 5-disc carousel Panasonic that I also keep in the living room.
Rich I'm not. I had a hole in my roof a few weeks ago that cost me $700+ out of pocket, and today I found out I need a car repair that will go for close to $800. I'm looking for bloodbanks nearby and trying to figure out how much they give per the pint. :frowning:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave: there's two others here who say they don't really even notice the PAL speed-up problem on R2 TV releaes. How about you?

Oh, I wouldn' t want to upset any studios!
I see your sly point(s) here...but this is one of the thoughts nagging me on this issue. Why should we, as consumers, feel like we are "doing something wrong" by buying R2 releases and players that can play them? It is legal to buy non-R1 releases in the US. It is legal to buy multi-region players. If studios release a title of interest to R1 consumers...but, for some reason, only release it in other regions, why should R1 consumers feel "bad" or "dirty" about the experience?

Or do I have my facts wrong about this?

It just seems that whenever I see discussions about this, everyone's tip-toeing on eggshells.

The studios still make their profit, right? I don't see the problem for anyone. Are there laws and legalities about this? I cannot imagine so. The brief discussion on it by Adam Lenhardt in the HTF Primer is quite vague on this point.

[Barbarino]I'm soooooo confused![/Barbarino]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks