What's new

Where is ANDY HARDY? (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The Warner Archive Collection's Facebook page provided this information several weeks ago:
We've been working on this for the last several months. It is an enormous project, but we MIGHT have something to offer before Xmas. If things work out by that time....if not, we should be ready in early 2012. And yes, Betsy Booth will be part of it. She sings, you know?
Followed by
We can confirm this much...We have completed a very impressive remaster of ANDY HARDY MEETS DEBUTANTE, the first done in 22 years. Caution.....we'd love to have our plans confirmed by Xmas, but it may not start until next year. We don't want to raise false hopes, but we can confirm when we have a really impressive new master completed of which we are very proud.
Looks like they are working on a comprehensive set and are looking to remaster the entire series.
Personally, the only mystery remains is if it will include the public domain Love Laughs at Andy Hardy and if they will include the already released Love Finds Andy Hardy for completeness sake (I hope "yes" for the former and "no" for the latter).

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for this tidbit - does this Archive Facebook indicate whether this is a retail release (preferable) or a DVD-R release? From other threads it has been indicated that WA Facebook also comments on retail releases where relevant.

With all the work being done on these films one would hope that this would be a retail release with applicable participation by Mr. Rooney, Ms. Rutherford, et al.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I assume that means that this will be an Archive release?
That really stinks......but at least I didn't sell off my one Andy Hardy movie in anticipation. The sad part is that it will be the only one that I will own. :(

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Steve...O said:
Thanks for this tidbit - does this Archive Facebook indicate whether this is a retail release (preferable) or a DVD-R release? From other threads it has been indicated that WA Facebook also comments on retail releases where relevant.

With all the work being done on these films one would hope that this would be a retail release with applicable participation by Mr. Rooney, Ms. Rutherford, et al.
I'm betting on a WA release on these. It's possible extra features could be included, especially for something as long awaited as this, and I imagine there is still time to let them know that extra features would be preferable in a release like this.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I would also assume an archive release. With the closing of Tower Records, Borders etc. there really aren't any national retailers that would be willing to carry this. Best Buy, Walmart, K - Mart, Target, Barnes and Noble etc. are not going to carry B&W B movies from the 30's and 40's. anymore. Sad but true. If its only available on line it will be a DVD R . Still hope springs eternal that a Jean Harlow set will be released on pressed discs. The Clark Gable films released to the archive this week did not include any of his unreleased films with Harlow. There is still hope.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
TRACY & HEPBURN just came out a few months ago, right?. My guess is they were closely watching how that sold.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Boy I miss the days of walking into a Tower Records and Video and seeing stacks of DVD collections and the same goes for the Virgin Music Stores. Always going through the racks looking for that elusive title I did not know was out. I always felt that an Andy Hardy DVD Collection Volume 1 & Volume 2 was only a couple of months away and I would be seeing that in the stacks of new released and sitting next to it would be more copies of the Garland & Rooney Collection. Times have really changed, but at least the Archive costs are less than what we were paying for Laserdics.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
Boy I miss the days of walking into a Tower Records and Video and seeing stacks of DVD collections and the same goes for the Virgin Music Stores. Always going through the racks looking for that elusive title I did not know was out. I always felt that an Andy Hardy DVD Collection Volume 1 & Volume 2 was only a couple of months away and I would be seeing that in the stacks of new released and sitting next to it would be more copies of the Garland & Rooney Collection. Times have really changed, but at least the Archive costs are less than what we were paying for Laserdics.
Sadly, those days seem to be gone. I was in Best Buy last night and they didn't even stock Some Like It Hot or American Graffiti on Blu-ray! These are two major classic catalog titles that they would only allow you to purchase online. I then attempted to order The Cincinatti Kid on blu and Night Flight instore and was told that the warehouse didn't stock them for store delivery---online only. I guess stores will only stock day/date titles from here on out. All the stores that supported the catalog business model are now gone.
I would love the Andy Hardy series, Jean Harlow and those major silents Warner has yet to release on pressed retail discs with features, but what can we seriously expect if stores won't stock them? I'm wondering if online sales through Amazon have reached a point where sales through that site alone can justify the production of pressed discs? I don't think I can think of a major retailer who will stock these titles, save for maybe Barnes & Noble.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
ANDY HARDY COLLECTION: VOLUME 1 *AUTOGRAPHED BY MICKEY ROONEY

MADE TO ORDER DVD:: LIMITED EDITION

(0 Ratings)

Write a Review

http://www.wbshop.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-WB-Site/default/Search-Show?q=1000275042&adid=1211WACAndyEml&src=EWACHDY#
[*]

[*]
Each film in this collection has either been newly remastered, or digitally upgraded from a recent progressive master source. Although none of these films have been 'fully restored',the result is a distinct improvement in quality, and the first new work done to any of these films in decades. Click here to preview this film's video quality.
[/list]

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well Warner Archive announced the Andy Hardy Autographed Collection Volume 1, and the Autographed copies have already sold out.
FROM THE WARNER ARCHIVE WEBSITE:
Andy Hardy, the original teen supreme, comes careening to your screen in the first of a series of collections! MGM’s 1937 adaptation of Aurania Rouverol’s play Skidding, A Family Affair, proved such a stunning success that production commenced on a series inspired by it almost immediately. Carrying over three of A Family Affair’s cast members (Mickey Rooney as Andy Hardy, Cecilia Parker as sister Marian, and Sara Haden as Aunt Milly), the Hardy series was launched in 1937 with You’re Only Young Once and the addition of Lewis Stone (Judge Hardy), Fay Holden (Mrs. Hardy) and Ann Rutherford (Polly Benedict). It was not long before Rooney’s boundless energy and talent stole the show (and the hearts of teenage girls all over the USA), and Andy Hardy took over the series. Not that anyone minded!
This collection features a sextet of sensational picks from the Hardy series, none of which have ever been available on DVD, some not available in any format. Each film comes packaged in its own DVD case, complete with artwork based on the original posters. Each film has either been newly remastered, or digitally upgraded from a recent progressive master source, specifically for this new DVD release. All best-available film elements have been used in the creation of this collection, and athough none of these films have been 'fully restored', the result is a distinct improvement in quality for each picture, and the first new work done to any of these films in over 20 years.
You’re Only Young Once (1937) On vacation with his family on California’s Catalina Island, Andy Hardy falls head over swim fins for a sophisticated young beauty (Eleanor Lynn). Judge Hardy warns his son that she is too fast for him.
Out West with the Hardys (1938) The Hardys out west! While Judge Hardy gets into a legal wrangle to save an old friend’s ranch, Andy tries to turn a bronco into a jalopy and Marian tries to lasso herself a cowpoke.
Judge Hardy and Son (1939) Tasked by Judge Hardy with locating the estranged daughter of an elderly immigrant couple, Andy Hardy finds himself juggling four different girls when his mother falls seriously ill. With Maria Ouspenskaya.
Andy Hardy Meets Debutante (1940) When Andy falls for the picture of a glamorous debutante (Diana Lewis) he tags along with Judge Hardy’s crusade to save a NYC orphanage in hopes of meeting her. Lucky for Andy he has gal pal Betsy Booth (Judy Garland) around to help out.
Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (1941) All set to graduate from high school and Andy flunks his English exam – in spite of the fact that the Judge has gone to all the trouble of getting him his very own private secretary (captivating Kathryn Grayson in her screen debut).
Life Begins for Andy Hardy (1941) After graduating from high school, Andy heads for New York, giddy with visions of high finance, chic women and posh nightclubs. But the big city is tough on a small-town boy. With Judy Garland in her final appearance as Betsy Booth.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Well this cinches it. We'll never see another pressed DVD from Warner again. If they could not justify either this or Harlow, then they have no plans at all. It's truly a sad day for me personally. Oh well, it's given me many opportunities to expand my collections from other studios that care more.:rolleyes:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^ While I'm glad for those that are going to buy this set, I was surprised that the first volume didn't include the series in order of the movies. Does this mean that the future volumes will contain only select titles and not the entire series of films?
This set contains 6 of the 16 total series movies but they omitted the 1st movie A Family Affair (1937). The first movie in the set, in original theater order, is You're Only Young Once (1937).
Judge Hardy's Children (1938), the next film in order, was not in this first vol release.
Love Finds Andy Hardy (1938) was previously released on pressed disc.
Out West With the Hardys (1938) is the next one in the set.
The Hardys Ride High (1939) is the next film not included in the vol set.
Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever (1939) is the next in the series, also not in this vol set.
Judge Hardy & Son (1939) is included.
Andy Hardy Meets Debutante (1940) is included.
Andy Hardy's Private Secretary (1941) is next, included.
Live Begins for Andy Hardy (1941) is included.
Perhaps they might be able to include Andy Hardy's Dilemma (1940) as an extra in a future vol set. This was an 18-min "short" with Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, and Ann Rutherford ("Polly").

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
What a disappointment. They don't include all the films in order, and they're on inferior DVD-R's... what's the point in "remastering" if they're on burned discs that could fail to play after some time?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3876012
What a disappointment. They don't include all the films in order, and they're on inferior DVD-R's... what's the point in "remastering" if they're on burned discs that could fail to play after some time?
The WAC POD cast with Mickey Rooney said that A Family Affair would be included in Volume 2. They did not give any reason why the films are not in order. They talked about Lionel Barrymore and Mickey was asked if he can still Lionel's imitation. Of course Mickey broke right into without missing a beat and it still sounded pretty good.

JPSnodgrass

Auditioning
You are so right Eric, you know every company has all the right to do as they need to do for their bottom line. But it is very puzzling why they do not go the VAULT TCM route and do the first run as "pressed" discs for the real fans of "pressed dvd's" and then go to MOD for the rest of the run? I have not bought any WAC titles and will not because of the theory that in these tough times people are not buying dvd's so let's sell a dvd'r for $26.99-29.99 and people are buying them. Also Criterion, Olive, VCI, SHOUT, Paramount TV etc all sell "pressed" dvd product. Now with word that the classic "Northwest Passage" is destined for WAC for sure they have lost any hopes of my buying their releases. I will continue to support VCI great Brit war releases, I will buy great Crriterion product like "The Four Feathers," "Island Of Lost Souls," " Laurel and Hardy Essential" - hmmmm I thought there was no market for classic dvd releases anymore?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy#post_3875816
Well this cinches it. We'll never see another pressed DVD from Warner again. If they could not justify either this or Harlow, then they have no plans at all. It's truly a sad day for me personally. Oh well, it's given me many opportunities to expand my collections from other studios that care more.

Thankfully though, if you choose to- you can own the Andy Hardy set on DVD. That I'm happy about. Even if its a DVD-R (They do play on your dvd or Bluray player dont they?)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3876012
I have had very few problems with my discs but I will say one thing, if I have received a problem disc or a smashed plastic disc case I have called Warner Archives and asked them for a replacement. They have been happy to replace and correct the problem no questions asked and they have not charged me or asked me to resend the problem disc/ box back to them. Better customer service than I have had from the Pressed DVD retailers like Amazon. I have been very pleased with the Warner Archive.

BTW.. I have been told that the sales on the Hardy box have been "Brisk".

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Towergrove /t/276194/where-is-andy-hardy/30#post_3876129
I have had very few problems with my discs but I will say one thing, if I have received a problem disc or a smashed plastic disc case I have called Warner Archives and asked them for a replacement. They have been happy to replace and correct the problem no questions asked and they have not charged me or asked me to resend the problem disc/ box back to them. Better customer service than I have had from the Pressed DVD retailers like Amazon. I have been very pleased with the Warner Archive.

I have to agree with you. There are a lot of companies that could take lessons from WAC customer Service. I have had problems with less than 1% of the discs that I have purchased from the WAC over the last three years and the answer has been, we will have a new one shipped right out. This does not included the new disc for Cyclops that was missing 3 seconds or just sending another copy of Show Of Shows and Bachelor In Paradise because they had problems with the some of the discs and wanted to make sure I had a complete transfer.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I guess we each have different Cust Svc experiences. I've been using Amazon for years with great results. They accept my exchanges without question outside the 30-day window time limit.
I rarely order from WBA but they have improved their online site ordering considerably. The early days of online ordering at WBA were difficult with many site issues.
As for the few WBA titles that I own, I've not had any playback issues with them on my std dvd player.
That's good news about the 1st volume sales going well. I'll revisit these volumes after they release the entire series of films and wait for a sale or bundle price. Meanwhile, I'm ok with my TCM DVD-r's. I watched Andy Hardy Meets Debutante last night after the news of this release reminded me of this series.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Warner Archive seems to have revised their return policy as it concerns defectives. There is no longer a 30 day limit for defect exchanges. A friend recently pointed out to me this change in the FAQs on their website. I've cut and pasted it below (emphasis of Bold type is my own, BTW)....
Q: What do I do if my DVD doesn’t play?
A: We will exchange Warner Archive Collection discs purchased from WBshop.com that do not play due to manufacturing defect. Discs that were damaged from misuse, accident, or wear and tear are excluded from this policy. Regardless of when you purchased your Warner Archive Collection disc from the WBshop.com if you discover that one of your discs does not play or suffers from some other manufacturing defect, please contact customer service at: 1-866-373-4389.
I ordered the Andy Hardy set yesterday. Can't wait until it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks