What's new

Where is a "REPUTABLE" place to puchase Hitachi RPTV'S? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I am seriously considering purchasing the Hitachi 65XWX20B HDTV and want to know where a good place to purchase one would be. Usually on a purchase that big I want to purchase locally just in case there are any problems with it. What would you guys do?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Circuit City should carry that model, or at least be able to order one for you.

I purchased a UWX Hitachi from them in fall of 01, didn't like it and they exchanged it after I'd had it 3 weeks, no questions asked and no restocking fees.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, I buy a lot of stuff at Cicuit City. They make everything so convenient. As far as chain stores go, they are a great company. What didn't you like about your Hitachi?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jeff,

My Hitachi had a number of issues. Bad green tint in dark scenes, posterization of fleshtones (looked like faces were painted with flat latex), too much funhouse mirror effect in variable stretch mode, excessive red push.

All of these except the posterization and stretch mode can be fixed with tweaking information that has become available since mine was returned.

If you do a little snooping around over at AVS forum you'll find the posterization is seen by many Hitachi owners, but large numbers of owners don't see it so it would not be fair to condemn Hitachis on that basis.

The variable stretch mode is only a problem if you use that mode a lot. I only used it for the news and non-critical 4/3 stuff but it was still almost nausea inducing. Toshiba, Sony, and Pioneer do it much better.

I would not discourage anyone from buying an Hitachi, just make sure you can return it if you don't like it. I would make that recommendation for any rptv purchase, not just Hitachi.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of arranging an exchange on this set at CC. They picked up the Hitachi when they delivered the replacement (another brand) and there was no restocking fee.

They did ask if the Hitachi was malfunctionning, probably only to determine if it needed repair prior to be putting on sale as an open-box unit.

Since the problems I was having were widely reported by others at the time I told them the set was not malfunctionning, that I just wasn't happy with it, and they were fine with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks