What's new

Directors Where have all the screen cap tourneys gone? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Are there any screen cap tourneys going on anymore? I ask because I got hooked on a horror/halloween one a few years back but every time I check in the polls area they seem to have Dried up. Any reason?

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I had considered doing one myself, but these days the Polls area is such a quiet, desolate place that having only 3 or 4 participants would be rather boring tournament.

Back when John Rice and Rain were doing these, we had upwards of 40 participants...most of these members have disappeared... :frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I remember George Kaplan doing a few screen cap quizzes here in Polls a couple of years ago, or was it last year? I enjoyed em, did quite well in a couple of them too.;)

Btw I know it's an old story but it's the tourneys that killed off the Polls area. Polls was a busy, lively area when I first joined 5 years ago, every topic imaginable, silly and serious, popping up here. But a couple of years later the tourneys arrived and essentially took over Polls, people who didn't want to play games stayed away, and in most cases never returned. I've never participated in a Polls tourney, always thought they were a waste of time, screenshot quizzes on the other hand, were more my thing.:)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Screenshot quizzes/tourney's whatever.;)

Yeah I noticed that the polls area has been dry lately...it's such a shame that the whole screenshot thing died out though, I really had a good time in the one I participated in back in 2003....I got second place, I would have won the thing if I hadn't joined the game so late!:D

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
They are fun but I imagine are a lot of work for whoever runs them. I've thought about doing one too but I've never worked with any kind of DVD software and don't really know how to do the framegrabs or post images.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
A solution would be to start a screengrab game and post it over in the Movies forum...lots of folks there.

That is until one of the moderators moves it over to Polls (even though it's not a "poll") :frowning:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I disagree that tourneys killed off the polls section. It's true that there aren't many people here these days, but for a couple of years, there were tons of people here and tons of tourneys, as well as tons of polls. While this section was populous, tourneys were very popular and well attended, and for far too long a time to be to blame. The people who used to frequent here (Rain, Lew, etc., etc.) have left the HTF altogether (or near enough), not just abandoned the polls area.

For myself, I think a major reason polls aren't popular is because the site won't let us run polls. Who can go through pages of posts to figure out what the results are? If we were allowed to access the polling mechanism, and could ask poll questions, and keep track of the answers, I think they'd be popular again.

As for screenshots, they are a lot of work, though I may try to do one again at some point.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
I agree, I seriously doubt it was the tourneys that drove people away. The polls section was booming and a fun place to vist on a daily basis when they were going on. If you ask me it's all those Director's Checklist threads populating like 98% of the first two pages (overkill, anyone?) that have driven people away...I miss the good 'ol tourney days and would definitely stop by more frequently again if a few of those were running. :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Are you kidding? Absolutely nothing was going on here in Polls when Jim started the Checklist series, nada, there was far more activity in the testing area than there was here (wink), the Directors Checklist threads livened up the place for a while.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
John Rice and I have discussed the idea of starting a "Guess the Celebrity Boobs" screencap contest but figured it'd get axed. :frowning:

:D

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member

Agreed!
Those Director threads are just there to keep us diehard Poll contributers happy and give us something to do while nothing else is going on.

It's our way of checking up on members to make sure that they're still ticking. :D

(Apparently, George, Jim_K & Steve Christou are no longer ticking :frowning: )

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Well I was getting a bit bored of them Bill, I think we did most of the greats and the famous and infamous. Besides I haven't heard of most of the recent ones I've seen, are they real or made up names?;)

Here's a quickie screenshot quiz if anyone wants to have a go. I originally posted these elsewhere on the forum. Which films do these shots of 'Villain's Lairs' come from? How many can you recognise?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I think I need to study up on my villain's lairs. I only recognize 4 of them right off the bat.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the 5 I recognize, I recognize easily. The others not at all. Well, after a while it gets kind of old typing "never heard of, never seen any" ad nauseum. :)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
OK! :D

I have not looked at any of the spoilers so here it goes:
as per the old rules I will PM my answers to Steve.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I personally was addicted to the screenshots games. It takes a little pressure off though. I no longer have the urge to memorize every shot in a movie I watch. :)

As far as Steve's shots go, I recognized about 5 of them. A few of the others are from a series with films that I have a hard time distinguishing between. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

I remember you did very well in them too Ray.:)

Okay here are the answers to the quickie quiz, fairly easy I thought.

1.Return of the Jedi

2.You Only Live Twice

3.The Spy Who Loved Me

4.Moonraker

5.Die Another Day

6.The Spy Who Shagged Me

7.The Fifth Element

8.The Two Towers

9.Krull

10.Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Jim and Kevin both got 8 out of 10 right, well done chaps. I originally posted these shots in a fat old thread of mine about 6 months ago, I think Krull was the one that got everyone stumped, but Kevin actually recognised it, I'm still recovering from the shock.;)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, I love that shot from Krull, very impressionistic & surreal.

I knew that was You Only Live Twice, but I wrote Thunderball......

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yeah and Jim fumbled the ball with Goldmember, although he probably wasn't sure which one to go for.

So Kevin did this quiz sate your craving for screenshot games for at least a few hours? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks