What's new

Where can I find the top-selling television series on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
I keep reading that Fox's Simpsons and Family Guy and amoung the top-selling television series on DVD. Is there an online resource I can use to see some figure? something like www.boxofficemojo.com does with Box Office takes for movies in theaters.

Thanks!

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
I am surprised to find that, based on the link above, Family Guy Volume 1 is the best selling TV show on DVD based on the number of units sold (890,000 units). I have never seen the show but I think that I will pick one up this weekend.

Wezzo

Second Unit

If you do, hope you enjoy it! But it's an acquired taste - you might want to try and catch it some place else first. Also, if you do go ahead and buy it, watch the first episode, and you discover you don't think it's that good - keep watching; the more you watch, the better it gets!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Charlie, if you do, you'll have to give us your impressions of it as someone that has never seen it. If you want a good price on it, DeepdiscountDVD.com has it for like 29.89 right now, although it was more recently 19.89 which would've been an awesome deal, it has an MSRP of like $50.

But, I also agree with the above comment, it is an acquired taste, so i'll be curious to know what you think. I turned someone on to Family Guy who had never seen it before, and now she wants both Volume 1 and 2.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I remember when a roommate of mine first bought seasons 1 & 2. I had never seen the show. I watched the first two episodes and didn't think it was that great. I watched more episodes a week later or so. You just have to get to know the characters first. And the show really hits its stride about 5 or 6 episodes in. It's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Back to the real subject of this thread: Top TV DVD sellers...

I can't believe that sales of Sex and the City are so high when the prices are outrageous for a half-hour show that (correct me if I'm wrong) doesn't do a full season, as in full by reuglar network standards. Must be paying extra to see breasts. :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

It boggles my mind as well, but I think your assessment is right on the money.

The one that I'm shocked about is that unless I skipped it somewhere, King of the Hill didn't make the top 52. The only reason that matters to me is that I wonder how its doing, I mean it must be doing reasonably well or else Fox probably wouldn't be putting out Season 3. Or, and this is a possibility, it was listed and I just missed it.

I'm not surprised that the majority of those shows on there are from Fox or Warner/one of its offsprings.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

I don't think it sold big... it doesn't have quite the mainstream appeal of The Simpsons or the cult appeal of (ech) Family Guy. I sure hope Fox is going to keep releasing the seasons, but I have to assume that if they put out season 2, they'll put out the others (I think seasons 1 and 2 sold about the same).

Edit: Yeah, that's what I'm saying -- I assume that if Fox were disappointed enough with the sales of KotH to cancel the DVD releases, they'd have done it after season 1.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Jaime Fox studies show that seasons of a show sell in the same range in otherwords if season 1 of a show sells a million units than season 2 should sell around that same number, and not suffer say a big drop down to 500,000 units just as an example. Sure its not the mainstream hit as the Simpsons or the Cult hit of Family Guy, but I'm sure it gets more exposure than a number of shos on that list.

Anyway, if I said much more I'd be going off topic I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks