What's new

Where can I buy a new cheap VCR? (1 Viewer)

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I know, you think I'm crazy. But I want to watch some old VHS movies on my portable DVD player when I walk on my treadmill (I have an adapter cable for the AV input). Quality is not an issue, but need something that will play VHS tapes. Don't really want to buy a combo unit and don't really want to buy someone's old junk on Ebay. Anyone know where you can buy a new VCR player out there for cheap? I can't find anything.

Thanks!

Donald

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was going to suggest a combo. That's the only thing I can think of besides combing the second hand sales papers.

Just noticed OVERSTOCK.COM has a few HERE.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Dude, did he said VCR. :laugh:, Overstock has some pretty good ones as per the above post. I tried looking at Circuit City.com and they don't have stand alone VCRs.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ha hee! :laugh:

Well, it isn't real weird to me since I was looking for one myself for the VHS-to-DVD project I'm doing. I plan to buy a TV tuner card next month. That should get a laugh too since those are going to be outdated in a very short time. But as long as I can get my home movie to digital form I'm happy.

And this is a co-incidence, since I found a box of VHS tapes I was looking for under my bed yesterday! Great stuff in there that I'll be watching. For old times...and most need to be exchange like, yesterday for DVDs!

Donald_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, hadn't thought of Overstock. Looks like they do have a few. Appreciate it.

Donald

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Boy have we moved forward in the video world. I searched Best Buy and Sears and the only thing they sell is the DVD/VCR Combo. I'm not a real fan of them but I have to admit I have three of them with one of them as a DVD recorder. The other two combos suffer from the same malfunction which is the vcr part of the player doesn't work. The DVD/VCR combo that records DVDs still work 100% but I strictly use it for recording DVDs. Something to think about when buying a vcr only.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I agree, with Donald S, who want's somebody elses junk. But if he can get it for about 10 bucks, it might be worth it if works still.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I've been searching for a VCR (or a VCR/DVD combo) for my mother, who had a VCR stop working recently. I cannot find any -- ANY! -- that come with TV tuners. They're incredibly cheaply made and essentially useless if you don't have a cable box (and even then, you can't program one channel and watch another). Say what you will about DVRs and DVD recorders, but there was a nice simplicity to the VCR that gave users certain options that the current marketplace lacks. (Yes, i know DVRs let you record anything, but there's a monthly fee involved from your cable companies, Tivo fees, etc.)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hey Sam,

Assuming your parents want to timeshift, you're in luck! I was just looking into this last week for my own parents. Like you, I'm concerned about the quality of the ones they're selling these days. My mom uses her VCR, either taping or re-playing the recordings, a full 7-8 hours a day! Her last VCR didn't make it 6 months; back in the heyday of VCRs she could get 3-4 years out of one.

I came across the Philips DVDR3575 that looks promising. It's a combo DVD recorder / DVR with a built-in analog and digital tuners. It'll work now, since most TV stations are already broadcasting in high def, and Mom won't need to fool with a converter box come Febuary 2009. No subscriptions needed or monthly fees, just your usual antenna connection like a VCR. I slogged through many of the reviews and found that people who went straight from VCR to this unit loved it and found it easy to operate. It has about a 75% user approval rating, which for a product like this is amazingly high. The main ones complaining were people who were used to TIVO's programming guide, or were expecting it to deliver high-def resolution.

'Course, if your mom's a cable TV user, don't know where to point you...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Louisa

Auditioning
Real Name
Louisa
Hi Donald,

I have been looking for just a vcr player, I was planning on buying 3 of them them before they stopped making them, and I noticed that they may have already did. I think

JimBritt

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Britt
this unit sells for $1,099.00 and is a RIPOFF and scam!!

K-Mart has a combo unit in this weeks sales ad for $60!!!

Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt that looks promising. It's a combo DVD recorder / DVR with a built-in analog and digital tuners. It'll work now, since most TV stations are already broadcasting in high def, and Mom won't need to fool with a converter box come Febuary 2009. No subscriptions needed or monthly fees, just your usual antenna connection like a VCR. I slogged through many of the reviews and found that people who went straight from VCR to this unit loved it and found it easy to operate. It has about a 75% user approval rating, which for a product like this is amazingly high. The main ones complaining were people who were used to TIVO's programming guide, or were expecting it to deliver high-def resolution.

'Course, if your mom's a cable TV user, don't know where to point you...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks