What's new

When you were young, which films did your whole school or class went to see? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Take us somewhere...? lol In the classroom, Romeo and Juliette the late 60s version. Well, I was visiting the drama class in junior high and that was showing. I took my time with whatever I was sent in there for since I never took drama. Caine Mutiny, really fun time instead of class work. Stuff like Twain's Mysterious Stranger w/ Chris Makepeace and that guy from James at 16, I wish that would make it to DVD. Pudd'nhead Wilson with that guy from White Shadow. Lots of those... i wish I had a whole series of those.. can't remember anything else, kind of like all that Algebra.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I was in school back in the 1970s. We never had school-sponsored trips to the cinema, but in middle school we had end-of-term screenings of What's Up Doc? and Where the Red Fern Grows in 16mm in the school gym.

When I was in elementary school (early 70's) a local theater sponsored a series of Saturday morning screenings of older films especially for us school children. I got to see Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) and The Day Mars Invaded Earth (1963) in pristine 35mm prints. Oddly enough, I have never seen the latter film again since then.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Jeffrey:K said:
I was in school back in the 1970s. We never had school-sponsored trips to the cinema, but in middle school we had end-of-term screenings of What's Up Doc? and Where the Red Fern Grows in 16mm in the school gym.

When I was in elementary school (early 70's) a local theater sponsored a series of Saturday morning screenings of older films especially for us school children. I got to see Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) and The Day Mars Invaded Earth (1963) in pristine 35mm prints. Oddly enough, I have never seen the latter film again since then.
JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH played as a children's matinee at a local theater once. I had seen it as a child, so I took my younger brother this time (he was already about 12 by then). After the matinee, we stayed for the main double bill: PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM and John Cassavetes' A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

As a college student I went to a children's matinee of THE SECRET GARDEN (1949) because I'd never seen it and I liked seeing old movies when they played at local theaters. The entire audience stayed for the main double bill of THE THING WITH TWO HEADS and Mario Bava's BARON BLOOD. A good time was had by all. Those were the days.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't remember a lot of films at all. I remember the 16mm projector but almost always showing somePBS show or Nature event.I Jr High I remember going to to Romeo and Juliet with Olivia Hussy though surely it was edited. The only othermovie I remember going to in the theater was Gone with the Wind. I know I went in Elementary School at least oncebecause I remember being at one of those HUGE old theaters (seating capacity 2500 at its peak) with school buses fromall over the city, but I can't for the life of me remember what we saw.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
In my primary school years (I only went to school in those days about three or four days a month because of chronic asthma) I went to only one school movie excursion ... in fact I think that was the only one the school ever had.
It was a special screening of 'A Queen is Crowned' -- the movie documentary of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
And I now have it on Blu ray.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
We never went out to see movies in school...Instead, we watched them on VHS tapes. The story I always tell from my high school days is this: In either 11th or 12th grade, I forget which, we read "The Scarlet Letter". After we finished the book, as a "treat", we watched the Demi Moore version of "The Scarlet Letter". I found myself hating the movie, and in the dark, I was writing down all the things it was missing, like a break-dancing scene and a cameo by Dr. Joyce Brothers, since it was so silly. Several years later, I saw 1988's "Love At Stake", and all that stuff was in there, and made for a better movie than "The Scarlet Letter". As a button on it, when I graduated in 2001, there was a small party the teachers threw for the graduating students. I suggested that we could watch "The Breakfast Club", but I was turned down because the teachers said the movie had graphic content, so we watched the 2000 "The Adventures Of Rocky And Bullwinkle" instead. Considering that the Demi Moore version of "The Scarlet Letter" featured a masturbation scene, female nudity and graphic violence, it didn't make much sense, but then again, neither did high school.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

My teachers were an odd lot in high school.

EDIT: Changed "language" to "violence", since that was what was also graphic in the Moore "Scarlet Letter".

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I was just talking to my mom on Sunday telling her how I had just gone to see The Ten Commandments in the theater and she told me she went to see it when she was a kid for a class trip (she attended a girl's Catholic school).

I've never gone to the theaters for a class trip but saw numerous Disney films in the classroom. In grammar school, I remember seeing Johnny Tremain, Love Bug, The Apple Dumpling Gang, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh (that scarecrow creeped me out!)

In high school, my English teacher showed Star Trek II: TWOK on VHS because he was so fascinated with all the references to "A Tale of Two Cities".

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ronald Epstein said:
Ejanss,

I owe you an apology.

It was Frank Capra's Wonders of Life.

Didn't recognize it from the box art, but when I referenced it
on YouTube, I immediately recognized the scientist in the film.

Thanks for obtaining the name of that title.

Ron, I remember this very well. I seem to remember at least 2 more films from this series. Can't remember the titles, but one was about the Sun and solar system, I think, and the other one was about electricity or the Atom. Do you remember these? Could have sworn, Eddie Albert was in one of them, and did you notice the Mel Blanc voice for the squirrel in Hemo? I loved these flims as a child, probably had something to do with me choosing a science related career.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Only 2 that I remember.

1776 and one of the A Christmas Carol movies, not sure what one it was.

This was in the middle to late 70's

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Bob_S. said:
In high school, my English teacher showed Star Trek II: TWOK on VHS because he was so fascinated with all the references to "A Tale of Two Cities".
Don't forget Moby Dick...

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
We never went to the Cinema, but we did have the luxury of a Bell & Howell 16mm projector where we learnt all about basic hygiene and irrigating the Desert.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
The only class I had that actually involved going to a theater (we rented it actually) was our science fiction class. And in that class we finished reading 2001: A Space Odyssey. This was an American School in Bolivia. It was on a Saturday that we went to go see the movie version. A couple of friends and I went to the fields early in the morning to pick cactus and take it in preparation for the movie. Probably the best field trip I ever went on, no pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks