What's new

When will Robinson Crusoe On Mars be released? (2 Viewers)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I thought RCOM was already available on DVD. I quick search on eBay turns up myriad auctions for it. Is it available in another region? Are they all bootlegs, or what?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Paramount made clear years ago that while the film is "fun" there currently is "no interest" in releasing it on DVD. Despite, of course, serious interest in it over here at HTF. Whatever.

Curt_B

Agent
ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS
CRACK IN THE WORLD &
Saul Bass' PHASE IV

3 great films that sadly may never see the light of day on DVD-unless from another region..

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The chapter break at the end of side three is called "Out of the Ashes" on the Criterion LD. It is true when Chapter 27 ends and 28 picks up, it is seamless. The scene cuts from medium shot of Friday and Draper in the ashes to long shot, the music continues uninterrupted.

Here are the chapter breaks for those interested as Criterion has it broken out:

1. Main Titles
2. Mars Gravity Probe 1-1
3. The wreck of Elinor M
4. Alien landscape
5. The cave
6. The Omnicom transceiver
7. I have 60 or so hours of life left
8. A hand in the dust
9. Mona
10. “That’s all there is baby.”
11. “Scratch signature!”
12. The sand clock
13. “2763 paces-survival information”
14. 31-Mar
15. “Water is where you find it.”
16. Kit drops in on Mona
17. A day at the beach
18. “Mr. Echo, go to hell!”
19. “The hairiest problem of all…”
20. “The back of the skull was charred.”
21. “They’ve come to get us!”
22. Thank God, it’s Friday
23. “You’re an escaped slave!”
24. Sands of time
25. “You’re going to learn English.”
26. “Your friends were expendable.”
27. The fireball
28. Out of the ashes
29. “Friday talk, A-OK.”
30. The attack
31. Beneath the Martian surface
32. Underground highway
33. “We’ll have to go up!”
34. “We’re sticking together, buddy!”
35. “You said there were 12 left!”
36. The ice cap
37. Avalanche
38. Space Rescue Group 3
39. End credits

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Right on Curt_B! I've been putting "Crack in the World" on my wanted list for years! Unfortunately, I guess few people remember it.

I DO remember and owned the Criterion "Robinson Crusoe on Mars." Yes, that was a great transfer! The extras were really unexpected and excellent as well. My only complaint was with the hideous packaging. The sleeve artwork was very poor with one of the worst color schemes I've ever seen. Yes, we know its Mars, the red/brown/dun colored whatever planet. One needn't extend it to the artwork. A minor but irritating flaw in my estimation.

However, as I sold my LD collection to go DVD some years ago, all would be forgiven if Criterion would see their way towards releasing that title again. Heck, I'd be happy if anyone would put it out, though I would hope with that great print Crit. used.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Paramount made clear years ago that while the film is "fun" there currently is "no interest" in releasing it on DVD. Despite, of course, serious interest in it over here at HTF
Clearly Paramount is making an EXTREMELY MAJOR error by taking this sort of attitude.

Besides RCOM I'd buy "CRACK IN THE WORLD" & "PHASE IV" DVDs in a NY minute.

Unlike many people, I DON'T dispose of LDs until I have the DVD version in my hands. I still have my RCOM LD

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Amen to that. Has Paramount any idea how much those RCOM bootlegs are fetching on eBay? - and these I am sure are merely replicated from the laser disc.

Shooting yourselves in the feet, much? Paramount, you are now what Universal used to be - bottom of the barrel for classic releases. Proud?

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Amen Dick!!

:eek: I guess there is a reason why I own less Paramount titles than those of any other major Studio. :crazy:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hypothetically, I would think that if Paramount is not interested in releasing RCOM, then if someone like Criterion where to do it, they'd need to renegotiate an agreement with Paramount to issue it as a DVD. Also, since Criterion owns the suppliments created for the LD, then they could easily re-use all that great stuff. That's also assuming the rights to those materials are still Criterion's.

What would it take to get Criterion to become interested? Perhaps the sales of the original LD were not good enough to interest them? I doubt that, I bet the sales were similar for Criterion's Blade Runner and Forbidden Planet and Invasion of the Body Snatchers. (Wonderful audio commentary on that last disc too)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Hypothetically, I would think that if Paramount is not interested in releasing RCOM, then if someone like Criterion where to do it, they'd need to renegotiate an agreement with Paramount to issue it as a DVD
It would be nice to have these "locked up" Major Studio catalog titles released by another company. But I think that it is unlikely. For example, why should Paramount let another company sell & market RCOM & then have that company be really successful in selling RCOM. It would show that Paramount was exercising really bad judgement in analysing the marketability of the title. I don't think Paramount would want to humiliate themselves that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks