What's new

When will Robinson Crusoe On Mars be released? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This thread is veering away from its subject. To put it back on track: yes, Paramount, there is at least as much interest out here in seeing CRUSOE on dvd as there are those wanting DRAGONSLAYER, were I to guess. (P.S. I hope DRAGONSLAYER is doing well for you, sales-wise).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Frankly, after the m-a-n-y threads and posts about RCOM during the past 3 years or so, I truly have to wonder why Paramount continues to ignore the title. They won't even throw us a bone, such as "We're looking into it." This film undoubtedly is THE most-desired science fiction film still missing in action on DVD. Certainly it would have greater sales potential than numerous titles already released to DVD by this studio.

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously, Paramount has something against this film. Paramount never even released it on laserdisc, and after Criterion did, Paramount promptly terminated their license agreement which kept Criterion from selling any more than their first pressing.

I would be surprised to ever see this title on DVD.

Of course, I would love to be surprised.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Does anyone remember a chat/post somewhere (this would have been after the Criterion LD came out) in which it was stated by a person of authority, that the original elements of RCOM had been 'destroyed' or 'damaged' by fire, and thus we would likely never see a DVD....?

EDIT: I remember thinking "hmmm... sounds like a fishy excuse to not release it" at the time i read it....perhaps a pre Martin Blythe chat?
Im certain I read this.Or maybe I am nuts.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone remember a chat/post somewhere in which it was stated by a person of authority, that the original elements of RCOM had been 'destroyed or damaged by fire', and thus we would likely never see a DVD....?
This is new info to me!:frowning: I guess I'll hold on to my LD forevermore! :star:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The most we've heard is from Martin Blythe, who told us he screened the film recently and thought it was a "lot of fun." Then, he added, to paraphrase, "Sorry, but we have no plans for it now."

Yes, given all the schlocky, obscure 1950s and early '60s fantasy stuff being released to DVD with good response, it does really seem strange that this title continues to be neglected. If only Paramount would relicense it to Criterion or Image or Anchor Bay; either of those houses would do the flick justice.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Paramount certainly is making zilch just sitting on it. Licensing it to someone else would at least make them a few bucks. ;) If they now have a corporate policy against licensing titles to someone else, then perhaps a change in that policy is in order.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
And with the Mars Rover exploring the planet right now, Paramount missed out on a great marketing/publicity opportunity. But anytime would be a good time for this wonderful movie to be released on DVD.

--Bill

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, not to plug my own thread, you guys could go there and continue making the case in Studio Feedback. Or start another thread. Whatever it takes.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
RCOM isn't a bad movie. I would buy it on DVD (but they need to get the shiny extras everyone mentioned was on the LD).

Be Seeing you,
David Blackwell

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, any new news from the Paramount guys? This is definately one that should get a nice special edition treatment.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just last year the Egyptian Theatre in L.A. showed a newly struck print and it was beautiful looking. Both Paul Mantee and Victor Lundin were on hand to tell stories of the filming and graciously answer questions from the audience...a grand time was had by all!

So, I guess there is a source but we just need to own it on DVD. Watching the LD on a 65" 16x9 really shows how crappy an analog LD can look on a large digital TV. There are some being offered on eBay right now but they are DVD-r's, burned from the LD.

I had my LD signed by Paul Mantee and that I'll always keep.

:D

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
We just have to convince Paramount that there is a big enough market for the film on DVD.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
What do you know? It's over a year since I first posted in this thread, and, by gosh, I still want this film.

I'd have thought with Paramount delving into cult sci-fi titles like I Married A Monster from Outer Space and doing a special edition for Danger: Diabolik, we'd have heard something about it by now.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I still have my Criterion LD, but a DVD SE would be great! Unfortunately Paramount appears to not give a damn about this film. :angry: :frowning:

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Please Paramount, release this film.
Perhaps Paramount is saving it for a coordinated release with another title/titles?

DVD Savant has just hinted there may be an SE of War of the Worlds on the way (hopefully with the LD stereo audio tracks). I couldn't think of a better title than Crusoe to release along with it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks