What's new

When will Robinson Crusoe On Mars be released? (1 Viewer)

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Earlier this month Paramount gave us the fairly obscure (but brilliant) Roman Polanski thriller THE TENANT. That had been my most-hoped-for Paramount title for a long while - now it's ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS.

--Bill

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I'm eagerly awaiting Robinson Crusoe on Mars, too. It's a great movie, and a terrific twist on the classic Defoe story.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars was one of about a dozen films that regularly played on TV as a season of SF classics, in the early evenings, throughout the 70s, here in the UK.

American audiences probably take films like this, Forbidden Planet and Invasion of the Body Snatchers for granted, but for British SF fans of a certain thirty-something age, these seasons were a very rare chance to see genre movies on TV, and every one of the films featured is indelibly etched on our psyches (even the relative clunkers, like When Worlds Collide!

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is high on my "most wanted" list, and a widescreen transfer, and a modest selection of bonus materials (perhaps licensed from Criterion) would be most appreciated.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If not, how about licensing it back to Criterion.....not likely I know but it would stand a better chance of seeing the light of day.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Again, one hopes some people at Paramount might possibly see this thread and realize there are probably many more who also would purchase this title if given the opportunity.

At least it's like printing money when your target is the niche market to which this film appeals.

I mean, goofy stuff like Journey to the Seventh Planet can be had on a quality "double feature"-style DVD as a novelty for those with quirky late-Friday evening viewing habits. But Crusoe has an established (if small) fan base. It provided, in its time (and still does, really), some pretty breathtaking SF thrills. The alien-ness of those alien spacecraft and how they zipped — UFO-style — across the Martian skies. Everything about it is so atmospheric.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[raises hand] I'm a fan! Please release this on dvd! Where do I sign? :)
Have a semi-wide copy of Robinson Crusoe on Mars taped off Channel Four UK years ago, I'd love to see the whole Techniscope image on digital disc.

Did you know: the [extremely fast] alien ships in the film were re-used Martian war machine models from George Pal's classic War of the Worlds, turned upside down and slightly modified, yup.:)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I saw "RCOM" last year at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood.
It was great watching a new print they had struck for that showing. Mantee and Lundin were on hand for questions.

Playing with "RCOM" was "Destination Moon" which was also a new print. You could actually tell the color difference in the space suits!

Also at the Egyptian on August 7th they'll be showing a new print of "War of the Worlds" and all the main stars will be on hand and a couple days later "When Worlds Collide" and its double feature "Conquest of Space!"

...and of course in Sept. is the biggest show of all...the World 3-D Film Expo showing over 35 of the best 3-Ders ever.

I got my 12 tickets and I hope to see some of you there. :D

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Sign me up. I would happily buy this if it was to come out on DVD.

I'd prefer a Criterion release, but if the film is in Paramount's hands, then that makes the chances very poor. :frowning:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
...well Jjjjjjaaaacccckkkk(sounding just like the mayor to Jack Skellington in "Nightmare Before Christmas"), I hope to see you at one of those many showings I mentioned.

Just stand up and say...is Sparky here?...I will answer!!!

Hope to see ya!!! :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
When I think about it, I doubt that Criterion would put this on DVD now - it doesn't strike me as a film they would issue now - how many cult sci-fi titles have they put out in the last 2 years? Home Vision is perhaps more likely, and to me, the quality of the Home Vision titles are on par with the Criterion titles - Day Of The Dolphin, out-there titles like that are more their bag - great transfer and an interview with - gasp - Buck Henry! Superb. Pity there's no Nichol's commentary, though.

I'm sure Paramount will put this out - perhaps next year.
One thing is sure - The President's Analyst will be released next year!
SEE THIS THREAD!

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure Paramount will put this out - perhaps next year
Not to rain on your parade, but Mr Blythe (And I'm not trying to put words in Mr Blythe's mouth) indicated in a thread some time ago that there was not any interest in releasing this film at this point. If you have some insider knowledge about an upcoming release of this film Gordon, please share it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Actually Criterion released the Blob on DVD very recently. They likely don't have the rights now to RCOM.

Brad Nilsson

Agent
Count me in as a definite purchaser of this film. I loved it as a kid. I saw in a year or two ago on cable and was impressed how well it stood up.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Criterion also released Fiend Without A Face and have Equinox on the slate for some stage in the future, so they do like to keep things exciting with a cult B-movie every once in a while.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Blob was released November 2000. It was a weird title to put out then, it would be now - strange choice. Okay sci-fi - pretty influential and McQ in it, but it isn't a great sci-fi film.

Paramount own Invasion Of The Body Snatchers now - that's what I meant. Now there's a great sci-fi film. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Fiend Without A Face is, again, not what I would call a great or interesting sci-fi/horror film. There are plenty of exciting sci-fi/horror titles out there up for grabs that are more deserving of Criterion's time.

Equinox... the Dennis Murin stop-motion pseudo-student movie?! :eek: Why? Hardly an overlooked classic.

Don't get me wrong - I'm in no position to say what Criterion or any other company should buy the rights to and release on DVD, but they must surely think about the return they will get on titles like Fiend Without A Face and Equinox. With some of their titles carrying above-average prices, you'd think they'd be more careful chosing their titles.

Jeff, my comments on Paramount releasing Crusoe are just postive/wishful thinking! :D It's just that when they decide to release cult gems like Targets and Captain Kronos etc, it just makes me open up a bit more!

Time will tell.

Gordy

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I've heard from at least one person that the original version of Equinox (before it was greatly re-edited and reshot by Jack Woods) was a real gem - the plot was actually coherent and understandable, there were twice as many stop-motion creature shots in the film and it's just a fantastically imaginative little DIY cult movie. I'd imagine Criterion are putting it in the collection based on the strength of Muren's own version which is out there on the bootleg circuits, but still tricky to get hold of.

I like The Blob and Fiend Without A Face a great deal - neither are towering artistic achievements, but they're an awful lot of fun from start to finish and have had undeniable impacts on subsequent films and modern pop culture.

But the important thing is that Robinson Crusoe on Mars gets a special edition DVD release!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
No question about it - The Blob and Fiend Without A Face are fun movies, but in recent times, Criterion haven't put out much DVDs of movies that are simply 'fun'. It's been pretty much a year of high-brow classics. The Fear And Loathing 2-disc was a great addition to the collection - I love Thompson! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

If Murin is working with Criterion to restored the original version of Equinox, then more power to him. It's sure to be a big seller amongst Star Wars die-hards. But I'm not one of them! :D ;)

I'm still disheartened by the fact that the elements for Powell & Pressburger's, The Tales Of Hoffmann are in such poor condition that Criterion had to more or less abort their DVD edition. :frowning: Such a great film, and the extras were going to be superb too. Maybe some day...

Cheers, Jon.

Gordy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm still disheartened by the fact that the elements for Powell & Pressburger's, The Tales Of Hoffmann are in such poor condition that Criterion had to more or less abort their DVD edition. Such a great film, and the extras were going to be superb too. Maybe some day...
Indeed. I'll have to go back to trying to win the LD on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks