What's new

When will A/V receivers and processors be able to decode Blu-ray audio formats? (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
When will A/V receivers and home theater processors be able to decode Blu-ray audio formats? Will the audio stream be able to be transfered via optical or coaxial cables or only via HDMI?

For Blu-ray players today, is there any difference in sound quality/loudness between sending the audio stream via HDMI or via analog outputs?

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
One more question! If I get a Blu-ray player, I'll have to hook up the audio via analog outputs since my A/V receiver doesn't support HDMI. Will there be any difference in the performance of standard Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks via analog ouputs and via optical/coaxial outputs?

tls36

Agent
Real Name
Tom
No difference, this has been available for quite some time. When was the last time you checked out Blu-Ray??????

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Optical and coaxial do not have sufficient bandwidth to transfer such audio formats as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA and PCM 5.1. HDMI is the only currently available option for transferring those formats digitally. And as noted, receivers and processors that handle those formats have been available for some time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

To expand on Michael's point, you can still use the optical/coaxial digital inputs on your existing receiver with BluRay. However, you will just get lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sound, as you do with standard DVD's -- not the newer high-resolution lossless audio formats. You can even connect the optical/coaxial outputs of the BluRay player to your receiver and still use HDMI for connectivity directly to your TV for video only.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
To expand further, and for all clarity: the 5.1 analog outputs (when your player decodes the new HD audio formats) are excellent. At least as good as when the stream is decoded elsewhere, e.g. inside an AV receiver.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that solution.

Cees

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
Have a question- looks like this is the thread to ask it: I understand the audio passed through the optical/coax outputs is lossy. I have an older receiver with no HDMI inputs that can decode DD EX and DTS 6.1. If the soundtrack is encoded for 6.1 (either discrete or martix), will that get passed on through the lossy bitstream? If not, I'll have to spring the extra money to get a BD player with 7.1 analog outputs.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Yes, there is no issue with the regular DD & DTS bitstream being passed thru the optical/coaxial output. It's only the new HD audio formats, ie. DTS HD High Resolution Audio, DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital + & Dolby Digital True-HD that cannot be passed thru via optical/co-axial outputs. Thus you would need to buy a BD player with 7.1/5.1 analog outs, only if you are interested in the HD audio options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks