What's new

When Viewing An Image of Star-Filled Night... (1 Viewer)

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I have a one-month old Sharp 32" (32F631) TV and used Avia to calibrate.

I am noticing something a bit strange.
When watching a DVD movie that had a night-shot of a star-filled sky... the stars looked more like red and green, slightly blinking dots, or sometime having a "white hot" appearance.

I also noticed this pretty much on some shots where a white object was surrounded by black.

I'm viewing with "vertical compression" on and using component video (Monster mid-range cable). It doesn't seem to happen when vert. conp. is turned off, but I am not 100% sure about it.

Any thoughts?
Is this something that I should expect with a relatively inexpensive ($550) tube? My $100 DVD Payer (Tosh. SD-3900)?

Rus

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The phenomenon may very well be the result of the cinematography in the film itself, an "effect." If it's one of those rare "space movies" that actually attempts to get it right, then bear in mind that stars shine at all colors in the visible spectrum (from red to blue-white).

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it is normal display... it's noticeable on many DVD material. Seems that certain tiny "white" colors have a "hot" appearance to them at times... kind of an over-exposed appearance on areas in the film that have hightlights. It is difficult to explain. I'll try to post in picture of what I'm referring to.

Thanks for your response.

Rus

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Your contrast is probably set too high??? (and I say that almost catagorically ) :)

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
On my TV, here are available parameters... settings are in parenthesis.

PICTURE (25... 1/2 of Max.)
SHARP (0... minimum setting)
BRIGHTNESS (22... 1/2 of Max.)
COLOR (17... tad less than 1/2 of Max.)
TINT (MIDDLE = 0)
TEMP (LOW)

I'm guessing that "contrast" would be the same as "sharp"?

Rus

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Actually, I'm pretty sure that "picture" = "contrast". You'll want to reduce it even further - perhaps down to 25% or less. Reducing it to this low a level may take some getting used to - but give it some time and your eyes will adjust (plus you'll be doing a great service to your set, prolonging its life).

-Jason

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Jason, I will give it a try.
However, using Avia yielded best results at this setting.

I'm wondering how one setting affects others. For example, decreasing "picture", and increasing "brightness"... etc.

Rus

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Those settings are interactive, in the sense that adjusting the contrast means you might have to tailor the "brightness" accordingly.

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I have spent some more time adjusting the "picture" settings, and still... the issues remain. I see it during DVD as well as TV material.

If I can explain some more, this is what I see. Seems when there are two contrasting colors, the outline seems "jagged", kind of flickering. This varies depending on the material being viewed.

Someone posted that a particular model of "Sharp" TV was too sharp, even at the lowest setting. I regret to think that this is the case with my TV.

Is it possible to have a professional individual make adjustments? Will this be a very expensive "tweak"? Anyone in the NYC tri-state area that comes recommended?

I know... what can I expect for a TV set under $600, but I really thought I was getting something "ok" for my money. Too late to take it back.

Thanks for input on this friends.

Rus

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible to have a professional individual make adjustments? Will this be a very expensive "tweak"? Anyone in the NYC tri-state area that comes recommended?

RUs

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Professional calibration would cost at least a few hundred dollars -- not really worth it for a $550 TV. Have you tried getting warranty service? From your description of the problem it sounds like it may be a convergence problem. (I always considered myself to be technologically aware but only discovered a few months ago that direct view CRT displays have separate red, blue, and green "guns" that can become mis-converged.) Try calling Sharp for a service appointment.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Could also be Velocity Scan Modulation.

If you have a setting labeled as such, or as VSM or SVM... turn it off. This setting is for edge enhancement, and is generally not desired.

-Scott

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all... I guess I am stuck with this until I can upgrade to a real screen.

:frowning:

Rus

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks