What's new

When is Warner's going to take advantage of its silents? (1 Viewer)

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
If TCM doesn't have the money for a contest where there's almost no money spent at all, I can't imagine they'd have the millions it would cost to pay any of those composers, as fun as it would be.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Melies set from Flicker Alley is terrific and includes virtually everything of his that survives from his very first picture to his very last (and unreleased) film. And unlike so many silents of European origin, it has NO ghosting of any kind. Our complaints about that sort of thing seem to be getting through to the disc producers.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I know this is an older post but I just wanted to say that I had seen the Harold Lloyd boxset at Wal-Mart when it was first released and a number of copies there for a few months later, It did seem to sell gradually.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Ok-

I am now very interested in seeing 2 of these silents that Warners owns the rights to, but are not out on DVD- I want to see both "The Big Parade" and "Greed", but am stuck on how to proceed-

I could get them used on tape or Laser Disc, and catch them that way, or wait, if we don't think the wait will be long. I've never seen either, am anxious to see them, and in a quandry how to proceed...

Silent fans, would you advise me to wait a little longer, or buy used from another source in an inferior format?

Thanks for the advice-
Jack

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jack, I have DVR'd both Greed (the Shmidlin restoration) and The Big Parade off TCM. Have you checked their online listings to see if they are showing them anytime soon?

I would not pay much for a VHS. If you find one, it will be quite old, probably riddled with dropouts and the tape will be getting brittle. Were they released on laserdisc? Beware of any video release of Greed. I once rented it on VHS and it was before the Shmidlin reconstruction. The movie did not impress me all that much until I saw the Schmidlin version, which I do not believe has ever been released to video.

Another must-see is The Crowd, also directed by King Vidor (of The Big Parade fame). It shows up on TCM as well.

If you're referring to the 4-hour version of Greed, then yes actually it was released on video. I have Warner's VHS release and it's still one of my most prized possesions despite being, well, VHS :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

I think it takes a different kind of talent in order to score silents well. Out of those names, I'd only consider John Williams, though. Carl Davis and Robert Israel have shown that there's more than capable of putting out great music. Consider how Israel composed most of the music scores for the Harold Lloyd silents in the New Line box (except for three by Davis). Or there's Jon Mirsalis and Rodney Sauer, who do a lot for the Kino, Milestone, and Laughsmith. Even if organ-only, you can't go wrong with a Gaylord Carter score.

It's better to get high quality scores rather than just going for names, even if it gives the film more buzz.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

Well, I see this 4 hour version on VHS at Amazon, but half listed say it is a one tape version, which leads me to believe it is the earlier version from the late 80's that was issued as part of it's "Silent Classics" series. This would be the version I can also get on laserdisc.

Sounds like I want the restored 2 tape version...

I still also want the "Big Parade" as well!

Jack

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Again, with the money TCM presumably spends to restore and score some of their silents, I'm surprised they haven't tried to get more bang for their buck and release some of them on DVD.

This past Sunday, they aired a Joan Crawford silent unseen for 81 years, Spring Fever.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Yes, I am now convinced that a Joan Crawford silents collection is deperately needed.

As wonderful as Warners has been with releasing rare gems, it positively baffles me how they've gone nearly three years - since the Garbo set - without releasing a single silent film.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I'm still waiting for the second Chaney box...THE UNHOLY THREE (both versions), WEST OF ZANZIBAR, HE WHO GETS SLAPPED, and TELL IT TO THE MARINES, anyone? What a treasure trove that will be.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Just bought the first Chaney set, and so far have only watched the documentary, which was great- Brownlow produced, of course! I'm gonna watch one tonight, and am looking forward to it-

Jack

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'd like a Marion Davies set, with the documentary Captured on Film. People will be surprised at what a talented comedienne she was- a far cry from the shrill 'Susan Alexander' from Citizen Kane! I've always been fascinated by Marion's life and career since I read her posthumous memoir The Times We Had years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks