What's new

When does the NEW Sherwood prepro hit the Streets?? (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Anybody know what the latest release date is for the pre/pro? Is there any information on the unit available?

Jason Nathan

Auditioning
Theres nothing on the website but a nice brochure featuring the new products. It is a nice brochure but some pics of the back of the units would be better. The site has been less than informative for the past couple of years. I wish they would get it fixed up and updated. I've been a long time fan of Sherwood equipment, and hate seeing it getting beaten up cause of the poor web presence.

BTW: I'm a web developer, if you need help fixing up the site let me know, I work cheap. Besides i'm sure we could come to an arrangement.

Anyway, Congrats on the new stuff finally getting out -- As soon as i save up the money you can bet I'll be looking into the 965 series prepro/amp setup.

Jason

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
In Europe it is not before march 2004 as I have been told by the Quadral which is the supplier for Germany.

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Lewis, (Jeff)
IM looking to buy the Outlaw 950, but am trying to wait until this new P-965 comes out. IM using a Parasound 2205 amp with Paradigm speakers. What do you think? Will the
P-965 have OSD through component video?
Found the answer on the website. Disreguard question.

tim

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I had been following the P-965 updates for a while, but never saw a complete spec sheet, and hadn't heard anything new until now. Wow, if these specs hold true this could be a sweet pre/pro. The list is impressive to say the least, and has everything that the Outlaw 950 and Rotel 1066 lacked that made me put off buying them. Some of my favorites (I think the Outlaw & Rotel have some of these):
  • 192 kHz 24-bit DACs
  • Pure Analog Mode
  • Selectable Bass Crossover frequencies
  • Upgradeable operating system
  • upconverts composite and S-Video to Component Video
  • On Screen Display (from all video outputs)
  • Programmable Video Input Labeling
  • Room 2 A/V Output with fixed/variable audio level, S-Video and coaxial digital
  • 3 Component Video Inputs switched by relays for unlimited bandwidth
Some of those items might seem trivial convenience items, but they make a difference for me. The real biggies for me are component input bandwidth and selectable crossover frequencies. Now if we can just find out if it has discrete on/off and other discrete codes, I'll be ready to buy one :)

TimGRA

Stunt Coordinator
Yohan,
I could not agree more with your post. Its the little convenience items that everybody seems to not want to put in their pre-pros. Even pureists like these features. Cant wait to actually find one out there somewhere for sale!

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:

We met with the factory team yesterday and they've promised US delivery in early February. There are currently no dealers in your area, but we have a new rep in the area and expect the situation will improve quickly.

Jeff

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Gee Jeff, that was prompt, you big stud.

One last question.. Can you dim the front display or turn it off?

Thanks

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Upon reading the specs on the A-965, it seems to have been built along the same lines as the AM-9080. I own the AM-9080 and it is a more than competent amp. Clean sounding as well as nice looking to boot.

Gil Riddall

Auditioning
I have been sitting at the front of the line with my check in my hands waiting for the new Rotel Pre/Pro to be released (RSP-1068). While i'm waiting I stumbled across this thread about the P-965. On paper this sounds like quite an impressive piece of equipment. As ther are no dealers posted on the Sherwood webpage, just wondering if anyone knows if there are any Sherwood dealers in or near Ottawa, Ontario, in Canada. If not, any canadian dealer would be helpful I guess...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Upon reading the specs on the A-965, it seems to have been built along the same lines as the AM-9080. I own the AM-9080 and it is a more than competent amp. Clean sounding as well as nice looking to boot.
I'm running an AM-9080 and it's a beast. Unfortunately in my new house it's tucked away in a closet so nobody can see how nice it looks. My only gripe with it is that it has a proprietary on/off switching mechanism. That was no problem when I had an AV-P9080 as the front end, but now that I have an Outlaw 950 I have to leave it on all the time, which I'd rather not do. At least my PA-2000 switches on and off.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Your assumptions about the A-965 are correct. It is built along the lines of the AM-9080. Obvious changes include the use of two toroidal power transformers in the A-965 in place of the three conventional transformers in the AM-9080 and our inclusion of a 12-volt turn-on path in the A-965.

Jeff

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Just returned from CES 2004 where I got a look at a model of the P-965. It looks great but man is it big!! When I first saw it I confused it with the R-965 receiver. Better start making room for it in you equipment rack now. I had a chance to talk to Jeff for a few minutes and he took time out of his busy schedule to explain a few of the highlights of the new pre-pro (thanks Jeff!). Can't wait for it to show up in my dealers showroom (Marconi Audio/Video in Glendale CA)

Carl Gafford

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Gil:

In Canada, Newcastle is distributed by Aralex. They can be reached at: 604 528-8965 and may be able to recommend a nearby dealer.

Jeff

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Jeff I forgot to ask you as CES: Will the P-965 have a built in modulator for laser discs like my 9080-R does?

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Carl:

I believe you did ask me about the RF Modulator when we met at CES. The answer is that the P-965 will not have one.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks