What's new

When does the NEW Sherwood prepro hit the Streets?? (1 Viewer)

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, you wrote: >>We're using their AD-1896 sample rate convertor to re-master the left and right main channels of any digital input to 192 kHz sampling frequency and 24-bit word depth.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Roger:

Good to hear from you.

Although one could certainly claim that the notion of "remastering" the recording is nothing more than marketing speak, we use it because we believe the process improves the sound of the original recording.

While we certainly can't claim that we improve the resolution in the original recording, it is what it is. We believe the digital resampling improves the playback of the oringal recording in two ways.

First, we believe that by reducing the "step size" in the recording we can improve linearity on some systems as they approach the noise floor.

Second, and probably more important, is that the resampling allows us to move the brick wall filter necessary for proper CD playback from 22 kHz (for a CD sampled at 44.1 kHz) to approximately 96 kHz. This moves any phase changes caused by the brick wall filter so that they are well above the audio band. Our tests and audiophile commentary tell us that this improves the sound of the original recording. And to us, improved sound equals "re-mastering".

Jeff

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Ed- Yes and no.

Going from 44.1 to 88.2 or to 176.4 is upsampling.

Any time you change the freq itself, it is "re-sampling'. I.e., 44.1 to 48, or 88.2 to 96 or 176.4 to 192.

Unfortunately, no matter what anyone says, anytime you do "re-sampling" there is a chance for degredation of the signal.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, no matter what anyone says, anytime you do "re-sampling" there is a chance for degredation of the signal.
It's the audio "equaliant" of the now popular "scaling" or "upconverting" in video.While it is really advisable only to match the projector's native resolution output,so no other conversion takes place,people use it in all sorts of cases,and they seem to report positive changes regardless[subjectively speaking]just like the audio crowd.
I remain a sceptic just like you though.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jeff- Thanks. Good ADCs.
Lewis- I hear ya. I have been a skeptic ever since DAT decks added 44.1 kHz to the DAT std of 48 kHz to *avoid* having to resample. But I do recognize that technology moves forward too. But I have also personally seen too many people say that the benfit of upsampling remain dubious at best. Theoretically, I can believe that adding samples in between within a 16/44.1 signal can improve smoothness. But most actual listening tests I have encountered can't tell the difference between the original signal and the upsampled signal. Could just be another example of ... marketing. ;)

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Going from 44.1 to 88.2 or to 176.4 is upsampling.

Any time you change the freq itself, it is "re-sampling'. I.e., 44.1 to 48, or 88.2 to 96 or 176.4 to 192.
Actually, the industry calls an integer frequency multiplication 'oversampling' while a non-integer conversion is termed 'upsampling'.

I agree that the trend to upsampling rather than oversampling is a marketing move and only gives the opportunity to introduce artifacts which will lose detail. At best, upsampling will give a result as good as weighted, averaged, interpolative oversampling to the nearest integer multiple.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Craig- I don't think so. "Oversampling" was the phrase used when CD players first came out. Remember "quadruple oversampling" ?
Non-integer multiple is "re-sampling". Happened first in the DAT world. Nobody much uses the phrase "oversampling" any more as delta-sigma and 1-bit DACs made it obsolete.
Ed- As far as "chance" :) , in the not so distant past (5 years ago), re-sampling *always* did introduce degredation of the signal. Now, I hedge my bets because with the best re-samplers, you at least can't hear the effect.
I agree with you that "remastering" already has a well-defined meaning, and it has nothing to do with what a pre/pro can do to the signal.
Marketing! ;)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That's cool. Also explains why, for example, 24/192 DACs are preferred to 24/96's because of the anti-aliasing filter slopes involved.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Now, I hedge my bets because with the best re-samplers, you at least can't hear the effect.
Kevin C Brown,
I know what you mean.
Things just keep getting better & better!:emoji_thumbsup:
I believe it is now, safe, to get into upsampling/resampling.
There may still be a loss of micro detail.
However, the payoff now surpasses the downside.
With a much more musical presentation.
All the best.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I like to equate the audio upsampling/whatever to the video scaling/line doubling (sic).
When 'line doublers' first came out, at what $40,000!!!
The reviewer's went ga ga, for them.
At twenty thousand, great!
At ten, incredible!
At two thousand, unbelievable!
And then...
Well they do soften the picture 'a bit'.
WHAT!!!
For five year's, you been telling everyone that these devices are better than sliced bread!
Now you say, there is picture detail loss?
I am glad that the audio reviewers always (the ones I read anyway), gave the bad with the good.
And now, like the video industry, we have excellent price to performance devices.
Hooray for technology!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff:
Is the new pre/pro and the amp assembled at Haitah Electronics UK Ltd in Cramlington? I am asking because I study in Newcastle UK and would like to know if Mr. Hy Lee would mind a visit at the facility for a guided tour.

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Oliver:

We no longer perform final assembly in the UK.

Virtually all of our Newcastle class products are produced in our facility in Chun Am, South Korea.

Jeff

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
Well, that is a pity. Would have been interesting to see an electronic production line. Will the Products be renamed to Sherwood Chun Am now? :D

Users who are viewing this thread