What's new

When Did We Become Such Big Weather Scaredy Cats? (2 Viewers)

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
To make matters worse, a few years ago, the highway crews here started the unconscionable & wasteful practice of a pre-emptive prior laying down of huge amounts of road salt when a forecast predicts snowfall
- terrible when it barely snows or snows just a bit. - Can you spell window & paint chips??

Stan

Senior HTF Member
They use some liquid product here in the NW. I think it's magnesium based. You can always tell where it has been used, little stripes a few inches apart on the road. They usually spread it before the snow or ice comes. Actually does a really great job and no car damage like places that use salt.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
They're predicting 6-8" by noon tomorrow. I know it'll all be melted by the time it hits 50 again on Friday but I just want this to end. I want the kids outside playing, I want to get my bike out... ugh.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
^^^

Bracing for another 6" ourselves. The pattern just north of us is the split from 2"-4" and 6"-10"....so who knows.

At least we won't be mowing till May.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Stan said:
They use some liquid product here in the NW. I think it's magnesium based. You can always tell where it has been used, little stripes a few inches apart on the road. They usually spread it before the snow or ice comes. Actually does a really great job and no car damage like places that use salt.
Probably beet juice or molasses by-product (honestly) - same as used in BC

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
schan1269 said:
^^^

Bracing for another 6" ourselves. The pattern just north of us is the split from 2"-4" and 6"-10"....so who knows.

At least we won't be mowing till May.
We are supposed to get anywhere from 5" - 10" here, too, depending on which report you believe. I just got the ice cleared from in front of my driveway finally. :angry:

The past two years I was putting down the first fertilizer application on my lawn around this time. I don't think I'm going to see our grass for another month yet this year.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Well - finally "lost it" with looking at 3'+ of snow on front lawn...

Fired up the JD3520 with 68" PTO snow blower still attached & cleared off all but ~6" of snow on an area about 50' X 60'
Did the back lawn ~ 2 weeks ago

I want the ground to clear, to start doing layouts & lines for the 41' X 24' front & 41' X 12' front & rear additions, I'm planning for.

Time wise, I can't afford to wait another month (maybe more) It's not warming up "up here" yet
& are still getting the odd snow build up & no rain to speak of...

It looks like it's going to be May showers bring June flowers - this year

& I'm NOT "dreaming of a white Easter" either

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
All our snow finally melted off the lawn this week, and the temperature hit the upper 50's. So, this weekend I ran the gas out of the snow blower and put it away, fertilized my lawn (about a month later than usual), put Preen in all the shrub beds to fertilize and prevent weeds, uncovered the deck furniture, and swept out the garage. We even sat on our back deck drinking a couple beers and enjoying the first nice day at home since last autumn, and are throwing some burgers on the grill for dinner!

The winter from Hell is finally over! Next step - getting on the golf course!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
The winter from Hell is finally over!
Not so fast, Scott!

After several days of temperatures in the 60s and 70s in this neck of the woods, here's what we're dealing with tonight:

gallery_286742_34_228499.jpg

After temps in the 70s yesterday, we are going down into the 20s tonight...

This winter just doesn't want to let go!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ It looks like you're holding your car hostage and using the date to prove that it's still alive.

I went running early this morning and it was warm enough that I was sweating (a rarity for this time of year) but by dinner time, it was freaking cold. It must have dropped 30 degrees in 10 hours.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In spite of the ups and downs, this winter hasn't wanted to let go since the first week of November when January temperatures moved in.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The rest of what I was going to say isn't printable on a family web site. :)

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Snow today, though not very much accumulation. This winter just will not go away.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Scott Merryfield said:
All our snow finally melted off the lawn this week, and the temperature hit the upper 50's. So, this weekend I ran the gas out of the snow blower and put it away, fertilized my lawn (about a month later than usual), put Preen in all the shrub beds to fertilize and prevent weeds, uncovered the deck furniture, and swept out the garage. We even sat on our back deck drinking a couple beers and enjoying the first nice day at home since last autumn, and are throwing some burgers on the grill for dinner!

The winter from Hell is finally over! Next step - getting on the golf course!
Nice to see no one is rubbing it in & is thinking fondly of their not-so-lucky brethren ;)

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mornin'.

Attachments

• 4-16-14b.jpg
    4-16-14b.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 4-16-14a.jpg
    4-16-14a.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 41

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Certainly not what Mike got, and I'm glad it didn't stick to the roads. But still. We're not even going to make it back to 60 F till the damned weekend.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Mike Frezon said:
Not so fast, Scott!

After several days of temperatures in the 60s and 70s in this neck of the woods, here's what we're dealing with tonight:

gallery_286742_34_228499.jpg

After temps in the 70s yesterday, we are going down into the 20s tonight...

This winter just doesn't want to let go!
Yes, I did speak prematurely, Mike. We got hit with another 3 inches, which pushed us to a new record snowfall for the area since they have been keeping track of those things.

Okay, after this storm, winter will finally be over. :laugh:

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
We have had very little snow in Munich this winter. Last year the US east got very little snow- A few years ago we got alot of snow- That year the swimming pool near Salzberg roof collapsed. Next year????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks