What's new

When did "Jeopardy!" become "Jeopardy! for Dummies!" (1 Viewer)

Curt_Dennis

Stunt Coordinator
Ted,

Jumping around on the board serves another purpose. Besides searching for the daily doubles, jumping around confuses the other contestants as to what the category is. But you can't do it slow either, just name the category and go. Makes the others think about the category and not the answer and ringing in. Depends on how it's done whether I find it annoying or not...done right though, it can be effective and not annoying.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jumping around the board simply to search for Daily Doubles is illogical- it has as much chance of being in the category of the previous question as it is in any other category.

I've never thought about the strategy of confusing others by quickly chaning category. Makes sense, but you could also lose the flow of being in one category. Think of when one contestant clears a category- they get into a rhythm that would be much harder when switching categories.

Ken yesterday could have broken the one-day record and chose not to. Why?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering that too. He had $33k something, all he needed to do was bet $19k something. Even if he HAD lost it all, he still would have won IIRC (might be wrong about that though, if I am it makes more sense that he didn't).

/Mike

Curt_Dennis

Stunt Coordinator
I wondered that too. Figured he just didn't want to show off. He could have easily gotten the new 1 day record. 17 days and counting!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hell, I'm watching this Ken guy's run. The man's a walking encyclopedia with a trigger hand on that buzzer. Amazing.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Today I tuned in, and for a while I was unimpressed. However, when he started picking up speed, I started wondering if he was just playing the audience, like a tease. I don't think I'll be able to get over his pauses at Daily Doubles, this guy is good TV!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
While we're tossing out quotes from SNL, my favorite hasn't been mentioned yet...

"I'll take Anal Bum Cover for 7,000"

"That's an album cover"

"I can read Trebeck, that says Anal bumb cover, I've been trying to invent an anal bum cover for years, failing to do so has been my greatest regret."

I'm getting caught up in this streak myself, and I haven't watched the show in years.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the folks at Jeopardy! are regretting their change in policy of having winners keep coming back. Even Trebeck seems visible tired of this guy. I, however, think it's pretty funny.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if the folks at Jeopardy! are regretting their change in policy of having winners keep coming back.
I seriously doubt it. This guy has brought a lot of attention (AKA free advertising) to the show. I've seen mention of it on the news, and the Letterman show has a running gag about it. I'm sure there are people watching every day just to see if he loses. I think this is just what they were hoping for when they changed the rules.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This was exactly what they wanted when they changed the policy, but I don't know if they expected anyone to last quite this long. Theoretically there has to be someone else out there who can beat him, and I'm almost surprised that Ken hasn't gotten a little sick of the game himself, but while it lasts it's got to be great for ratings.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know how far in advance these shows are taped (or if they record multiple shows in a day)? Just curious, since I'm sure that the usual NDAs on the outcomes would have been beefed up around this to keep people guessing (and watching).

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
Theoretically there has to be someone else out there who can beat him, and I'm almost surprised that Ken hasn't gotten a little sick of the game himself, but while it lasts it's got to be great for ratings.
I know if it was me, I wouldn't get sick of winning $10k-$30k a night answering trivia questions, but thats just me.

The one real advantage this guy has over everyone else at this point is that he knows the system now, he knows exactly when to buzz in and is taking full advantage of it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I would guess this guy, if he can, will go to at least mil. I also am guessing he will give a nice chunk to charity.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I would guess this guy, if he can, will go to at least mil. I also am guessing he will give a nice chunk to charity.
He actually mentioned that he'd be giving 10% to his church (he's a Mormon apparently). Needless to say, his church is probably pretty happy about this development...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks