What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Mark Collins said:
Sorry to be a bit off topic here. I just wanted to state I watched last night a great Basehart movie I ordered from Amazon last week. Time Limit. He was outstanding in the role based on a play. I also liked the Twilight Zone episode and the two part Combat role. I have Cry Wolf which you can also buy but I recorded it off TCM. He has a small role in that film.

I envy Glen having Canyon Crossroads.

Voyage has had it's detractors before and always will but I have found since airing on METV the popularity of the show seems to have increased from it's syndication days on local stations. The show has found a new generation of viewers.

The thoughts expressed against the show and Irwin Allen were uncalled for. I thank my good friend Harry for stepping up to the plate and speaking for us all.

Mark Collins
Please allow me also to stray slightly off topic, but in praise of the great Richard Baseheart...TIME LIMIT is a brilliant film and was a topical and important film of it's time...as you mention, also based on a Broadway success...a very strong cast, and possibly Richard Baseheart's finest role...he's brilliant in this as the self sacrificing, tortured soul to whom honour is everything...a memorable performance that really knocks it out of the park...Rip Torn also turns in a brilliant performance...

I recently watched the new Kino blu release KINGS OF THE SUN...any number of actors could easily perish in ridicule for having to deliver their lines wearing those Hollywood faux Mayan headdresses...but when the actor doing it is of the caliber of Richard Baseheart, you buy into it...he's forever noble in his bearing and delivery...it helps that the film is an entertaining epic...

I personally only have the first two seasons of Voyage, and I'm happy to leave it there...but that's just me...

Among the many tv series I have on dvd, Richard Baseheart is always a favourite guest star...

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Randall,

You are so right about Time Limit it blew me away. I too know I am off topic but just want to add these films I recently view. Tension La Strada Hitler not one of my favorites but I recorded it from TCM some years back and Robert Osborn gave a very nice tribute to Richard before the film began. I have to say both La Strada and Tension are very unique and enjoyable. Buy a copy of Tension if you do not have it. Dick Cavett comments on the film in the special features along with other guests.

The Brothers Karamazov I watched over the weekend. I am waiting on Moby Dick because of the word it may be coming out. I have a copy of that and the Satan Bug which is also due for blu-ray in the fall.

Let us hope LIS makes money and Time Tunnel and Voyage will get a BD release. I have read that Land of the Giants set is now going on ebay for over a thousand dollars.

Glad I picked that series up when I did.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mark Collins said:
Let us hope LIS makes money and Time Tunnel and Voyage will get a BD release. I have read that Land of the Giants set is now going on ebay for over a thousand dollars.

Glad I picked that series up when I did.
Wow! It's going "new" on Amazon for almost a thousand! Amazon will buy your copy for $1 if it's new. :)

Same here... glad I purchased before it went OOP - and at only ~$40.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Flashgear said:
I recently watched the new Kino blu release KINGS OF THE SUN...any number of actors could easily perish in ridicule for having to deliver their lines wearing those Hollywood faux Mayan headdresses...but when the actor doing it is of the caliber of Richard Baseheart, you buy into it...he's forever noble in his bearing and delivery...it helps that the film is an entertaining epic...

I just picked up this Blu earlier today, Randall, as I love historical epics on Blu even when they aren't very good overall. I've heard the transfer is less than stellar which is too bad. Having seen it, what did you think of the technical qualities of the Blu?

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Hi Glen,
I think it's an acceptable Blu-ray presentation...like everyone, I wish Kino was either able to acquire or do a new HD transfer...but I'm satisfied with the PQ and audio...colors are fine...those battle scenes are spectacular and seeing Richard Baseheart, Barry Morse, Brad Dexter and Leo Gordon in those ostentatious and florid headdresses is a hoot in itself...Yul Brynner moves about like some graceful panther, and the fight scenes with George Chakiris are expertly choreographed...Shirley Anne Field is most known to me from Hammer's "These are the Damned"...

as you know, it's a very entertaining and spectacular epic...and another fine score from Elmer Bernstein is, of course, great and effective...

I do hope that Lost in Space does well enough to prompt Fox to give the same treatment to the other Irwin Allen properties, especially Voyage.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
post-125-0-79226300-1304078472.jpg

"Set a course for action and imagination. In the final volume of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA in Irwin Allen's brilliant science fiction classic. Dive into a world of wonder as Admiral Nelson, Captain Crane and the crew of the Seaview embark on thirteen of their deadliest adventures and face some of their most memorable villains. Climb aboard the world's mightest nuclear submarine and relive some of the greatest moments from one of the greatest science fiction shows of all time. Full speed ahead!"--Packaging Literature for the 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea - Season Four, Volume Two "Standard" DVD 3-disc set.

I've just finished watching the entire fourth season (1967-68) of the VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA tv series on DVD.

The future is definitely in the Blu-ray medium and the recent announcement of more Universal Pictures horror classics Blu-ray releases only adds further weight that we will definitely be seeing VOYAGE (and THE TIME TUNNEL) in an upgraded Blu-ray edition.

The people at 20th Century-Fox are also "hip" to all this great SF stuff.

The future certainly never looked brighter.

voyageseafeat.jpg

Jeff T.

:D

JeffT.

Screenwriter
the-atomic-submarine.jpg

On the topic of "no periscope on this new sub" this brings-to-mind the adage of Life imitating Art. The 1950s SF B-film doublebill programmer THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE (1959), one of the (main) creative-inspirational antecedents of the latter released VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (1961) feature film (and the subsequent 1960s tv series), showcased the near-future (circa 1968) advanced state-of-the-art nuclear-powered submarine the USS Tiger Shark which didn't have a periscope to speak of either.

But this was due to the anemic budget allotted to the limited production precluding such a luxury. In the context of the film's presentation all of the navigation was handled through an electronic monitor-scanner console (The Visio Radarscope).

4519563_l3.jpg

Jeff T.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks for this blast from the past, JeffT...

I remember seeing the miniature models used in THE ATOMIC SUBMARINE displayed in a carnival booth back in the late '60s, touring North America with Royal American Shows...both the Tiger Shark and the Alien invader's submarine flying saucer...these guys must have been good friends with Forry Ackerman, as they had other movie props on loan from his collection...

JeffT.

Screenwriter
atomic+sub.png

Wow! That's very cool my friend. I'd love to have those models at least have the chance to see them and take some pictures. They should be put on permanent display (if they still exist) at the Seattle-based SF Museum.

Maybe someday plastic model assembly kits will be issued of these creations.

The film also features a piloted self-propelled underwater bathysphere-like vehicle launched from the (USS) Tiger Shark which was (more-or-less) a precursor to the Flying Sub referred to as the "Lungfish."

Irwin Allen drew a lot of his core ideas and concepts (uncredited) from 1950s SF films which he no doubt went to see at the movie theatres of the time.

AtomicSubmarine+(100).jpg

Jeff T.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Will Voyage get it chance on Blu-ray. I would love to see it but from what I am reading from Ron we shall have to see.

I just wanted to comment that I got a good deal on Voyage and just repurchased the show. I have never ran into the problems early collectors complained about on the DVDs. Well they came broken season 4 and I had to return them to Fox. Once you open them they are yours and it can take up to 5 weeks to get replacements.

The infamous season one problems I also encountered.

Just thought I would pass that along.

I also bought the Satan Bug on Blu-ray and Moby Dick DVD even though TT is suppose to release it some time next year.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Mark Collins said:
The infamous season one problems I also encountered.

I don't recall problems on Season 1. What are they? I have commented on some audio fidelity issues with Season 4's "Deadly Amphibians" where the high and low frequencies are essentially not there just what I will call flat audio lacking any fidelity. Since that post I'm still wondering if any other forum members have experienced that specific problem with that specific episode.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes season one both volumes had lots of problems. Go to Amazon reviews to get a flavor of what it was like. I just phoned Fox today and after 6 weeks now will I be getting the replacements? They said they were sorry and would check into it. Last week I was told they were shipped UPS.

I also do not like that you have to take pictures to prove your case. If a disc does not play how do you prove it?

Amazon sends you out a replacement right away and takes your word for it. I told them this. I just cannot risk ordering again from Fox Connect.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Mark Collins said:
Yes season one both volumes had lots of problems. Go to Amazon reviews to get a flavor of what it was like.

I went to Amazon and read about seven pages of reviews. Most of them dealt with the content of the show. There were a few that referenced "skipping and freezing" issues. I have not experienced this however I bought my set when they first came out. Whether the condition of an individual's DVD playback machine is having a bearing in some of these situations we really have no way of knowing.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I've ever had any problems playing the Voyage discs, which is a minor miracle with flipper discs.

The U.K. release was so much more awesome. Nice box set of the whole series, booklet that is unique to that set and single sided DVDs. The episodes are in production order, if that makes a difference, but they all have a "play all" feature which is great. 4 episodes per disc, which makes more sense than the ridiculous US release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I never had problems either with the sets I bought from Best Buy when they first came out. I also heard on the LIS commentary that all of the Irwin Allen series were upgraded to HD along with the two motion pictures Poseidon and Towering. Both motion pictures are out on blu-ray. So perhaps some day in the future we will see a blu-ray release from Fox of Voyage Time Tunnel and Giants or just in the UK where the series are very popular.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just got the 55 disk UK Irwin Allen box set for $125. Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and Land of the Giants. Can't beat that price. Great packaging. Can't wait to dive in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks