What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Somehow I think that you have supported my argument more your own.

I needed your help with our discussion forum. Our discussion forum and I didn't get it. I needed your support with successfully launching VOYAGE (your favourite IA SF tv series) on blu-ray I still didn't get it.

You have let your own feelings for me cloud your better judgement on this.

There is no point in clashing on this as we are two different generations with polarized sensibilities. When I sought out contact with other SF fans online I had it in my thinking that I would (naturally) be with people of my own age. In retrospect I think that this has been the crux of the problems encountered. As I said one learns from experience.

I feel (or felt) that I owe both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL a debt of steadfast, appreciative gratitude which I have attempted to repay in my own way.

But that's all behind me now and I am content to (peacefully) move on.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
As a postscript this is what all the flap was about:
http://tinyurl.com/timetunnelgueststars
It is a Yahoo! facilility. A tool! And it is exactly where I said that I found it.
I have further applied it to both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE INVADERS all with my own input no one elses. I find (or found) it handy for quick reference in research for my writing. But now there are much better online sources.
Jeff T.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Bob, well it happened to me. I pulled out my fresh copies from season 1 volume 1 of Voyage and guess what the front side on two discs would not play the back side would. I told Amazon about the complaints on the Voyage series early seasons. I love Amazon because they always have been fair with me. I told them I had opened both volumes of season 1 and it did not matter a full refund with shipping was on the way.

Bob please correct me if I am wrong that your problems with Voyage were season 1. Well so i now have a double dip on seasons 2-4. Season 1 episodes that I bought from Best Buy when they first came out at maybe 40 bucks still play good. I took a soft rag and wiped them all clean. I really want to enjoy this season over the summer.

Scott i think it was you that said you wanted Giants at a cheaper price. Keep watch at Amazon. I bought my copy from Big Lots at a huge price cut. Like I said i found some value in the show. Gary Conway and a few others do speak in some of the best extras i have seen since the original BSG. I enjoyed the interviews. I also have the boxed audio and dvd sets called The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen and some of the interviews are there as well.

Harry turned me on to the Dvd because I only had the VHS copy and he said there was more on the DVD. I remember the cast stateing that it was really them climbing ropes and not stunt people. I remember when we were waiting for season 4 how we talked about City Beneath the Sea. WHV then released it in a MOD format when the program first began. WHV said it was one of their most requested movies at that time. I think this really shows the level of interest in all Irwin Allen.

LIS season 1 was the best but season 3 was starting to come back with Anti Matter Man and a few others and was on it's way to renewal but CBS pulled the plug. I was shocked when I read that Time Tunnel in it's second season was to go up against season 3 of LIS. Canceled TT sound stage went to LIS and Batman which really went the cheap route in it's last season.

Giants was suppose to come in as mid season replacement during Voyage last year. I love the crew of the Seaview because they just look like they are enjoying themselves even in some of the goofy episodes which I can still pull something out of to redeem them.

David Hedison loved Man Beast. I read in the Voyage book about the one scene i really love in that episode between him and Richard. He tells the Admiral that he has killed a man which later is not true. Hedison and Basehart were great in that scene.

I think all of the casts from Voyage TT LIS and Giants did work very well together. I always felt the loss of Sam Groom on TT because he represented me the kid watching from home. Granted Sam was much much older but i related with him.

I love the fact that new generations are being turned on now to Voyage. I think it is great. The young man in the model store in his 20s who took a picture of my Seaview all put together as I have said before spoke how his best friend loved the show.

Harry where the heck are you??? I suppose being chased down an alley with Joe Mannix.

Happy Voyage everyone! I forgot to provide fans with this book that i own on the Irwin Allen series.

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Allen-Television-Productions-1964-1970/dp/0786444916/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366579447&sr=1-1&keywords=irwin+allen+television+productions

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have this book, Mark, and it's an interesting reference. It is, of course, filled with lots of personal opinions and yours may not agree with the authors. But it's still a book devoted to the four IA shows and for that alone is worth the interest of fans. As far as Voyage, the author is enamoured with monster episodes and not so much with the spies and straight dramas. That kind of runs opposite to some fans I've spoken with who prefer the first season's more serious stories. I love all four seasons equally and for different reasons.

This book is pretty good, also:

http://www.amazon.com/SEAVIEW-Anniversary-Tribute-Voyage-Bottom/dp/1880417219/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366584127&sr=1-1&keywords=seaview

Although, just so you know, a new updated edition is due to come out later this year.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
JeffT. said:
Somehow I think that you have supported my argument more your own.

I needed your help with our discussion forum. Our discussion forum and I didn't get it. I needed your support with successfully launching VOYAGE (your favourite IA SF tv series) on blu-ray I still didn't get it.

You have let your own feelings for me cloud your better judgement on this.

There is no point in clashing on this as we are two different generations with polarized sensibilities. When I sought out contact with other SF fans online I had it in my thinking that I would (naturally) be with people of my own age. In retrospect I think that this has been the crux of the problems encountered. As I said one learns from experience.

I feel (or felt) that I owe both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA and THE TIME TUNNEL a debt of steadfast, appreciative gratitude which I have attempted to repay in my own way.

But that's all behind me now and I am content to (peacefully) move on.

Jeff T.
Other issues aside, if I could do anything to actually get a Blu-Ray release out, hey, I'd do it. Outside of sending a letter to Fox, I can't think of what that would be. I certainly wouldn't hamper such an effort and l would be most happy to have the series out in HD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mark Collins said:
Hi Bob, well it happened to me. I pulled out my fresh copies from season 1 volume 1 of Voyage and guess what the front side on two discs would not play the back side would. I told Amazon about the complaints on the Voyage series early seasons. I love Amazon because they always have been fair with me. I told them I had opened both volumes of season 1 and it did not matter a full refund with shipping was on the way.

Bob please correct me if I am wrong that your problems with Voyage were season 1. Well so i now have a double dip on seasons 2-4. Season 1 episodes that I bought from Best Buy when they first came out at maybe 40 bucks still play good. I took a soft rag and wiped them all clean. I really want to enjoy this season over the summer...
I've often wondered if all the sets are from the original pressings or if Fox has done multiple pressing and had corrected the issues with the later ones. Your experience seems to indicate they probably did just one as I'd like to believe they would have used better QC on additional print runs. Amazon has always been fair with me as well. I didn't contacted them about my sets as it was over a year after purchase before I opened the sets and discovered the playback issues.

My bad discs are mainly with S1 and I purchased them about 6 months after release during a B1G1 sale. On each volume there is at least 1 episode that freezes and locks up the player. The same episodes do this on every player I've tried including portables and computers. Unfortunately there's also an episode on the S4V2 set that also locks up. I purchased that set from BB last year when they had them all for $10 each and discovered the defect about 4 months after the return window had expired. I'd been purchasing them a couple at a time, watching as I purchased. As I'd had *no* problems with any of the discs on S2 & S3 I got a bit lax in watching S4 which came back to bite me. At some point in the near future I'll be rewatching S1 to see just which discs are bad and contacting Fox to see if they'll replace them.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Mark Collins said:
Harry where the heck are you??? I suppose being chased down an alley with Joe Mannix.

I forgot to provide fans with this book that i own on the Irwin Allen series.

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Allen-Television-Productions-1964-1970/dp/0786444916/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366579447&sr=1-1&keywords=irwin+allen+television+productions
Actually, I've been delving into some exploits of Dr. Richard Kimble recently, but hope to get back to Joe Mannix soon. The next episode has William Shatner as a guest star, so it should be fun.

I was an early buyer of that Irwin Allen Television Productions book and got the hardback. It's a reference I use often. As Scott said, the authors opinions sometimes run counter to my way of thinking, but hey, he's entitled to his opinions too. It's no different than the varying opinions we all have here.

It seems to me that he pretty well dismisses any VOYAGE episode that I liked. He seems to have fits with the "all alone on the sub" plots, and I always found those moody and fascinating. Also, with him coming from a UK point of view, he seems to have a less-than-favorable outlook on the Cold War episodes, and again, I tend to like those.

In my run-through of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA episodes when each DVD set came out, I can't recall any that ever froze or caused problems. I DO recall a lot of complaints both here and on Amazon reviews about the double-sided discs and how they were problematic, yet I never experienced any of that. I haven't watched the VOYAGE ones in awhile, so perhaps they're due for their 30,000 mile check-up. ;)

The only problem I ever encountered on a double-sided Irwin Allen disc is on one episode in the LAND OF THE GIANTS set. I think it was either a late season one or a season two episode that froze up as the end credits were rolling. Since the story was complete, I wasn't all that concerned about it, so I never bothered with any kind of exchanges. It's just not that important to me. If it were a TIME TUNNEL, I might have taken some action, but I'm pretty safe there, as, like our friend Mark, that's one series where I've double-dipped. I have a working set that I use all the time and one that just sits on the shelf as a back-up copy.

Gotta run - I think that's Lt. Gerard knocking at my door...

Harry

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Revelation Film UK sets are great, especially the complete series box set. If you have a multi region DVD player, you may want to consider going this route of our double sided DVDs are casuing problems. Yes, there are some PAL/NTSC speed issues, but I barely notice the pitch change (the episodes run 49 minutes rather than 51). They are, however, in production order and some folks may not prefer that. However, they are single sided DVDs and each has a "play all" function. I love them.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I can't stand PAL speed-up - and it would be especially annoying on VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. David Hedison already has a somewhat high-pitched, tenor-type voice. Make it 4% faster and it would sound like he's been breathing helium!

No, I appreciate that some can enjoy that, but it's not for me.

Harry

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I totally get it and I'm the same way, but for some reason I am fine with it with Voyage. Other shows, forget it, it bugs the heck out of me. When I had the Six Million Dollar Man in PAL a few years ago, it drove me nuts. Not Voyage though. Very strange.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Walmart has Voyage season 3 volume 2 for 10 bucks. They might also carry other seasons. My Walmart had it in a special section of bargin TV shows and not in the normal TV section. They are in a large stand up rack.

Plan to do some serious Voyage watching this weekend. Edge of Doom is one of my favorites from season 4. These last 3 episodes which Edge is part of I do enjoy. I then will keep working away seaon 2 in reverse order. I plan to mix my season episodes in this summer.

Bob you are right i did read the Amazon reviews on season one. I guess I am lucky. All those first releases except for season 4 i purchased at Best Buy.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tonight along with one of the last 4 Time Tunnel episodes I watched Deadly Creature Below.

Great episode from season 2 and on view master reels which I have. New shots of the flying sub leaving Seaview. The actors give a list how to fly it. Man I loved that.

I need Gary and Harry to help here. Blueprints of Seaview are looked at and very detailed.

I could read them! Gary did you know?

Harry can you find them and blow them up for us? The Blueprints showed an office at the back and the top of the observation nose. The whole thing looked like a windows 8 Seaview.

Loved the episode none the less.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Mark Collins said:
I need Gary and Harry to help here. Blueprints of Seaview are looked at and very detailed.

I could read them! Gary did you know?

Harry can you find them and blow them up for us? The Blueprints showed an office at the back and the top of the observation nose. The whole thing looked like a windows 8 Seaview.
Mark, the best I could do was a full-screen capture, which I think leaves a lot to be desired in terms of clarity and readability. Anyway here are the two:

DeadlyBlueprintsTop.jpg

DeadlyBlueprintBottom.jpg

You can click on the above and blow it up somewhat.

Harry

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Harry, Thank you so much!!! I think I will watch Killers of the Deep tonight which I think is one of best from season 2 and I belive John Wayne's Son has a small role in the show

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yes, I see it as well, Mark. Thanks for the photo, Harry! It does seem to show an upper deck, but since it has the Flying Sub it can't be the 8-window Seaview. Very interesting though.

Gary "neat stuff to be sure" O.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Gary these prints had me thinking the orginal plan might have been to have the flying sub and the second upper level of 4 windows. Crazy I know. Fun to think of. Hey everyone do not forget that new expanded blueprints manual on Seaview coming out in the fall.Well off to make my first bet on the Derby.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well kilers of the Deep still is number one from season 2 for me. I also watched the mystery killer on Seaview and the Spider episode.Nice job done because Richard was sick during the shoot of the Spider as we all know. I meant that you would not know Richard was not there since he did the voice overs later for the episode.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i wonder if fox will do what universal has done with buck rogers, that is release voyage on single sided dvds.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Voyage Fans speaking of books coming out on the DS thread reminded me that in the fall two more books on the series will be out in the fall.

I do not know if this is the detailed book Gary and I were waiting for on the windows 8 seaview? I hope it is. Have not watched much Voyage over the summer. Shall begin watching again in the fall along with the Time Tunnel. Watching all the original Battlestar Galactica series this summer. I hope that series makes it to BD as the movie was quite good in the restoration.

Here is where you can look at the books on Voyage

http://www.alphacontrolpress.biz/site.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks