What's new

When are We going to see a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu-ray Release?! (1 Viewer)

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
I keep saying this, but I'll say it again. When they do PAL conversions which require a time change, they digitally pitch the sound to sound natural. Characters do not talk in a higher pitched voice, they just say the words a little faster. The chipmunk voices are how they used to do it over ten years ago.

You shouldn't assume that the pitch has been changed just be cause the time has.

By the way, I have the a bunch of the Network blu-ray sets and they are some of the best looking TV disks I've ever seen.

Having enjoyed Captain Kirk at 25p for 30 years the first US dvd's of Star Trek around 1999 were a bit of a shock but I think pitch correction either way should take minutes to get used to.

Network have delivered some appalling dvd's over the years thanks to quite a long period of dreadfully inept authoring but when it comes to Blurays they blow away the competition.

The Persuaders, both seasons of Space 1999 and the Retro Action discs surpass the quality of US discs of Star Trek.

And who would believe The Professionals was shot on 16mm when you look at their Bluray releases. Phenomenal upgrade over the versions seen on tv , vhs and dvd since 1978.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Harry-N said:
I'll accept that your opinion is that the old DVDs are "crap quality", but they play fine, do not have lack of contrast, and everyone speaks at the correct pitch. They've served me for almost two decades and until someone does a proper Blu-ray release, I'll remain happy with what I've got.

Fellow VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA fans, please forgive me for getting this thread off on a tangent. No-one's going to convince me to buy those Blu-rays of high-talking Patrick MacNee (I can see them on Hulu.com if I perversely wish), and thus this is my final mention of that series in this thread. Please refer and AVENGERS posts to the proper thread.

Harry

The UK Blu-rays of the Avengers are a proper blu-ray release with the correct pitch. It is only the single US release where this occurred.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA is still running late on Saturday nights on MeTV in the US. They recently cycled through the fourth season episodes and this past week aired the pilot episode, so they're starting the series all over again.

YhDJO-1443540085-43-show-300X165_0049_voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea.png

Of course, those of us who have the DVDs are not at the mercy of any scheduling - one of the great benefits of that medium. Future Blu-rays will be welcome when they "surface".

Harry

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Harry-N said:
I'll accept that your opinion is that the old DVDs are "crap quality", but they play fine, do not have lack of contrast, and everyone speaks at the correct pitch. They've served me for almost two decades and until someone does a proper Blu-ray release, I'll remain happy with what I've got.

What is wrong with the Bluray releases of series 4 ,5 and 6 of The Avengers that are already out. I only have series 4 and 5 at the moment but the quality is excellent and the pitch is correct and any US release will be a port of the same masters anyway although Studio Canal kindly corrected the audio pitch error present on the Lionsgate series 5 before releasing it here in the UK.

My VHS recordings of many shows did me for 20 years but I wouldn't keep them when a superior version is out.

Back to Voyage and I think a Bluray release is unlikely but should one ever appear I would expect Giants and Time Tunnel to come out first

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
turtledove said:
The Persuaders, both seasons of Space 1999 and the Retro Action discs surpass the quality of US discs of Star Trek.

And who would believe The Professionals was shot on 16mm when you look at their Bluray releases. Phenomenal upgrade over the versions seen on tv , vhs and dvd since 1978.

The Sweeney and The Prisoner are great too.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
ScottRE said:
Time Tunnel is hitting BD in the UK next year. I wouldn't rule out a Voyage release.

Not sure if its been mentioned earlier but that UK Blu of TT might be wishful thinking.

It was originally announced 2-3 years ago and I had a conversation with Revelation who informed me that the Blu release would be upscaled as access to the HD masters was very difficult to obtain.

As soon as I posted these intentions on a variety of forums I think Revelation got the message from many people that upscaling was not what we wanted. Even the current description on Amazon UK still says what it said originally - no mention of HD at all.

Revelation were impatient to reissue Time Tunnel because of the grief they got over their dvd version which removed all the cliffhanger endings just so they could present the episodes in production order instead of transmission order.

The Blu release has been put back on several occasions and IIRC it was March this year when the April 2016 date was first listed.

I would expect a Giants release before Voyage.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
bigshot said:
The Sweeney and The Prisoner are great too.

Shame on me for forgetting The Prisoner - another example of the stunning quality Network deliver with 35mm material.

While The Sweeney was a massive improvement ( like The Professionals) , mainly because the versions we've always known have always been so bad I didn't think it was quite as impressive as The Professionals and was clearly not 35mm but it did disprove a theory that 16mm didn't benefit from Bluray.

What's so annoying about The Sweeney is that they released series 1 on Blu and despite the remastering and restoration of the other 3 series being completed at least 18 months ago they then proceeded to release the restorations exclusively on dvd without much fanfare while they concentrated on Blurays of other shows. The dvd set was totally barebones though with no commentaries , interviews,intros or 5.1 sound ( no doubt all being saved for the BD release).

Networks original dvd's of The Sweeney from series 2 onwards were quite bad and suffered during their period of poor authoring - in fact The Sweeney series 2 became the most high profile title to suffer from the problem with lots of complaints on forums yet it took them a good few years to correct the problem resulting in some dreadful dvd's - some of their 16mm film series releases really are terrible quality.

No doubt after The Professionals final Blu is released in March we can look forward to The Sweeney series 2 in September

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I'm patient. They can take their time with the follow up sets. I have plenty to watch from Network!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Rumors are circulating that Voyage will have it's own box set of music from all 4 years. I hope this is true for I shall buy whatever the cost!

JeffT.

Deceased Member
fantasy_worlds_cd1.jpg

All of the Irwin Allen 1960s SF tv series had great music scoring to their respective credits but it would be tremendous to have similar extensive multi-disc box set music soundtrack collections issued for both VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68) and THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67).

We're also still (anxiously) waiting for North American (Region A) Blu-ray releases of VOYAGE and THE TIME TUNNEL.

It's high time for 20th Century-Fox Home Entertainment to whip out the two "big guns" of the classic Irwin Allen SF television shows.

fantasy_worlds_cd3.jpg

Jeff T.

:)

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am sure most fans know what episode I will be watching of Voyage this coming Thursday. Harry if you have the time could you bring up a picture of our little friend? Perhaps talking to Richard Basehart? I forgot there are two are there not? Well take your pick if you can.

Mark

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
While I would be delighted to see Voyage on bluray I would also like to see Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel too. I think Giants would look particularly brilliant.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
Courtesy: Variety

21st Century Fox To Looks To Cut $250 Million In Film, TV Staff

"One source familiar with the company’s operations said the bulk of the staff reductions would likely come from the television unit, though Fox’s film studio would also absorb reductions, most likely from the home entertainment and distribution operations, as more customers get programs via the Web."

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/fox-buyouts-250-million-staff-cuts-1201693822/

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I was told flat out after my last work-for-hire Blu-ray gig from a certain studio that there wouldn't be anymore work for me. That was last year, in the fall. Always before I had another gig before my current gig ended. My current gig is ending and there is no work to be had.

I'm gonna count myself lucky to have the discs I have on my shelf, and go watch them.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Courtesy: Variety

21st Century Fox To Looks To Cut $250 Million In Film, TV Staff

"One source familiar with the company’s operations said the bulk of the staff reductions would likely come from the television unit, though Fox’s film studio would also absorb reductions, most likely from the home entertainment and distribution operations, as more customers get programs via the Web."

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/fox-buyouts-250-million-staff-cuts-1201693822/

(As an aside).

Wonder how soon we'll see Fox outsourcing their tv shows dvd sets to Mill Creek. (Like what Sony and Universal has been doing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks