What's new

when a title is on xbox AND PS2, is xbox version always better ? (1 Viewer)

Matthew_V

Stunt Coordinator
I made a list of games that I'm interested in, and most of them were released on the xbox AND the PS2.

When I've compared photos (at gamespot) of the xbox and PS2 versions of a game, it usually seems like the xbox version has graphics that look a little better.

But I wasn't sure if this is true for a small or a large percentage of the games that are available on both systems, and I wasn't sure if these differences are going to be noticeable only when you have the system hooked up using the best possible connection and/or hooked up to a high-budget tv.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Matthew - I've found this is the case. Not only are the graphics generally better on the Xbox versions (versus PS2), but sometimes the frame rates are higher, too. In some cases, extra content is added, like in extreme sports titles like Tony Hawk 2X and Aggressive Inline. Aggressive Inline (which is a fantastic game, btw) included extra levels, and the ability to do custom soundtracks. Just so you know, the differences are even noticeable on smaller TVs (27") with composite cables.

You'll find the basic difference is often the absense of "jaggies", or rough polygonal edges. XBox ports have a generally "smoother" look to them. Personally I've played Beyond Good & Evil, the Prince of Persia series, the Burnout series, Midnight Club, Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, Outrun 2006, SW Battlefront, and the Starfighter / Jedi Starfighter games... on both systems, and they all look better on XBox than on PS2. In some cases they also have more detail.

I'm sure there are exceptions, such as games originally developed for PS2 and given a sloppy port, but I can't think of any right now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Do you have a PS2 and an X-Box? If so, there are exclusive games on both systems you should consider.

As for graphics, the X-Box usually looks better simply because it was released later and was sold at a larger loss than the PS2 due to the quality of it's components. MS even said that they were losing so much money on the original X-Box that they would cease manufacturing, selling, and supporting them once they hit 30 million consoles sold and then move on to the next system.

The Pros of the X-Box versions are graphics being slightly better and the HDD built in, whereas the Pros of the PS2 versions would be the controller (I prefer it to the X-Box one, the big or small versions) and the prices of games were usually cheaper sooner but this is probably not the case anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks