1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Whats your favortie Surround Format?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Nick.S, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Nick.S

Nick.S Stunt Coordinator

What is your favorite surround format when DTS, dolby digital is not available. (Cable or DTV) With all the pro-logic pro-logic II neo6 music and movie modes??? I would like to choose one that uses my front towers and surround a lot.

Nick

2. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

I use pro logic 2. when watching sports ive noticed neo music works pretty good because the front 3 speakers pretty much share the load of what normally only comes from the center.

Johnny

3. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

When I watch sports I like 5 channel stereo mode. When I watch TV programs I usually use music mode vs Movie because Movie tends to use the center channel more and Movie seems to use a 3 fronts equally.

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

pl2 "cinema"

if i realize i need to switch it to "music", i do, but usually don't remember to.

5. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Screenwriter

I use PLII for older sources (VCR, oldschool videogames, etc). Although sometimes I use all-channel stereo for SNES type era games.

I used to use DTS:Neo6 Music for CDs, but now I use Stereo only - I don't really like the surround processing for music.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Right now I don't use any surround modes for stuff that wasn't normally in surround.

That will probably change once I get DPLII and DPLIIx in the next few months. The rest of the modes like what the Yamahas typically use like "Movie Hall" and stuff like that is a joke.

7. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Depends on the source and what I'm playing. For reference, I'm using an Anthem AVM20 pre/proc, and occasionally a Yamaha DSP-1 proc.

Pop/rock music; I usually use PLII Music without the center channel.

Classical music, jazz, etc, depending on the title and my mood; stereo, Anthem Logic Music or my good ol' Yamaha DSP-1.

DVD's, TV, and VCR (without DD/DTS), PLII Cinema or Anthem Logic Cinema.

Having choices is a good thing!

JimmyK

8. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would say:

DTS for DVD's

Anthem Logic for Music. I like the dispersive characterstics. If available, Logic7 Music

PLII music for TV. PLII cinema is a little too localized in the center channel. If available, then Logic7Cinema.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like PL II, but also Logic 7.

10. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

When I had it, I used to like Circle Surround for really old stereo or surround movie soundtracks. Brought a more spacious feel to the movie.

11. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

DPL II.

Stereo for music, of course.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

PLII for regular tv. PLII Music if its a concert on tv that isn't discreet. CD's, it depends if it's a SACD, i listen discreet. If it's a regular CD, i use Stereo 2 which uses my sub or Stereo 7. Depends on my mood and where i am in the house...what i'm doing... I listen to Howard Stern in the AM via Stereo 7 through my Ref50.