What's new

Whats your favortie Surround Format? (1 Viewer)

Nick.S

Stunt Coordinator
What is your favorite surround format when DTS, dolby digital is not available. (Cable or DTV) With all the pro-logic pro-logic II neo6 music and movie modes??? I would like to choose one that uses my front towers and surround a lot.

Nick

Johnny_M

Second Unit
I use pro logic 2. when watching sports ive noticed neo music works pretty good because the front 3 speakers pretty much share the load of what normally only comes from the center.

Johnny

ChadLB

Screenwriter
When I watch sports I like 5 channel stereo mode. When I watch TV programs I usually use music mode vs Movie because Movie tends to use the center channel more and Movie seems to use a 3 fronts equally.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
pl2 "cinema"

if i realize i need to switch it to "music", i do, but usually don't remember to.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I use PLII for older sources (VCR, oldschool videogames, etc). Although sometimes I use all-channel stereo for SNES type era games.

I used to use DTS:Neo6 Music for CDs, but now I use Stereo only - I don't really like the surround processing for music.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Right now I don't use any surround modes for stuff that wasn't normally in surround.

That will probably change once I get DPLII and DPLIIx in the next few months. The rest of the modes like what the Yamahas typically use like "Movie Hall" and stuff like that is a joke.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Depends on the source and what I'm playing. For reference, I'm using an Anthem AVM20 pre/proc, and occasionally a Yamaha DSP-1 proc.

Pop/rock music; I usually use PLII Music without the center channel.

Classical music, jazz, etc, depending on the title and my mood; stereo, Anthem Logic Music or my good ol' Yamaha DSP-1.

DVD's, TV, and VCR (without DD/DTS), PLII Cinema or Anthem Logic Cinema.

Having choices is a good thing!

JimmyK

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I would say:

DTS for DVD's

Anthem Logic for Music. I like the dispersive characterstics. If available, Logic7 Music

PLII music for TV. PLII cinema is a little too localized in the center channel. If available, then Logic7Cinema.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
When I had it, I used to like Circle Surround for really old stereo or surround movie soundtracks. Brought a more spacious feel to the movie.

Chip E

Screenwriter
PLII for regular tv. PLII Music if its a concert on tv that isn't discreet. CD's, it depends if it's a SACD, i listen discreet. If it's a regular CD, i use Stereo 2 which uses my sub or Stereo 7. Depends on my mood and where i am in the house...what i'm doing... I listen to Howard Stern in the AM via Stereo 7 through my Ref50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks