What's new

What's wrong with Burger King? (1 Viewer)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Arby's - incredibly inconsistent. If there's processes the franchises need to follow, there's a whole bunch around here that aren't. During lunch rush downtown, they'd make a whole bunch of food around 11:30am, let it sit under the heat lamps for 30 minutes before the crowd came so they could serve them quickly. Absolutely disgusting.

A&W - disgusting chicken nuggets - they tasted like milk for some reason. Thank god they brought in that Chubby Chicken. Only chain I've ever been to where the burgers you get look exactly like the ones in the commercial. Too bad they're tiny and mostly tasteless. They changed their bun over the years, and now it's a bit too firm for my liking. Great onion rings.

McD - awful, awful, awful burgers. Go once a year to remind myself how bad it is. Great fries though. Service has declined markedly over the years. It always astonishes me how their employees are totally incapable of making a sandwich not messy.

Wendy's - pretty good. Great thick fries. Some of their chicken burgers are too dry. Some of their beef burgers are just ok - but the Big Bacon Classic is quite good. They like to mess up orders though - this has happened to me quite regularly.

In'n'Out - the best place, hands down of all the fast food burger chains. Great burgers (but you gotta love onions). Great fries.

Red Robin - love their burgers. Too bad they've left Calgary temporarily. Had the best fries ever. Too bad they changed them to the kind the American RR's made. This was one of the few times I actually wrote their corporate head office repeatedly begging them to change them back. They were one of the first places in Calgary to offer free refills on soda. I remember when the waiters used to tell me they wouldn't refill my glass more than 2 times :)

But the best is to find some local place. There's a few places here that make great burgers.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Backyard Burger's is the local chain that seems to have that "getto burger" kind of thing down pat.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Rob Gillespie is right, Chip in England are way better then American Fries. I was there back in the early eighties and still crave a good bag of chips. Was 62 pence back then!

Out of the big chains out here I would place Wendy's at the top with BK near the bottom of the barrel. Once I had their pressed onion rings and that just about turned me off of them for good!

I admit it I am a Junk Food Junkie!

Wes

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

I did grow up poor, but I can't say the Rally's cheese is as good as the real welfare cheese they used to hand out in the 80's :D

At least the burgers are freshly grilled, and not micro-zapped or heat-lamped to death.

The Rally's cheese tastes the same as McDs, Burger King, Wendys, etc to me. It's all re-processed cheesefood stuff. Now a burger with actual cheese on it, I guess the BK Angus burgers have real cheese...

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
SW Calgary:

I hate hate HATE burger king. just don't like their fries, can't eat their burgers.

McDonalds - the only thing I can eat there is the Big Xtra with cheese and bacon. and only rarely to remind myself just how bad it is.

Wendys - give me Wendy's any day of the week. I could live off of this stuff, even though I don't eat fast food that often. Their burgers taste like you've actually made them at home. fresh lettuce, tomatoes, onions... etc... the veggies actually CRUNCH when you bite in. Great chicken burgers too, awesome buns... great fries, fairly thick... a little expensive if you don't stick to their value meal.

Dairy Queen - I have one right across Anderson road from me. VERY expensive - a meal similar to wendy's big bacon classic combo costs almost 9 dollars, compared to wendy's 6. their 99 cent burgers are good if you just need a quick pick me up, however. great shakes and blizzards though, horribly inconsistent fries.

A&W - I used to love goign here... now the burgers are small and greasy and don't give you a lot of veggies options. their fries have declined lately, and it's expensive.

Peters Drive in - I've only been there once, and remember the food to be VERY good, and it's very expensive. famous world wide, but it's just too far for me (I take the train). and someone told me they aren't as good as they used to be (although their ice cream is still to die for, apparently)

subway - love the club... roast beef, ham, turkey on parmesan oregano, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions, cucumbers, green peppers, subsauce, s&p and some parmesan cheese.... mmmmmmmm!! the standby... although lately the quality of veggies, and the build of the sandwhich has been horrible.

quiznos - only been here once - in Chinook ctr. horribly hard bread, thin helping of meat, only a couple toppings, don't let you pile on toppings like subway, expensive, and smaller.

I can't stand KFC anymore.

and what happened to Red Robin in Calgary? they're still at the southland/macleod location, as far as I know..

I've never had a fast food salad, and don't really intend to.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Ugoff demands silence! :) (Burger King commercial, if you don't get it )

Count me in as a Wendy's convert. Great value, I love the Jr Bacon Cheese with a Biggie Fry, Biggie Coke, and 99cent Nugget. All that for less than $5?! Give me a break! I also really like their new Chicken Sandwich -- yum, yum.

I'm so tired of McD's. Someone mentioned the new nuggets. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ad states now with white meat. Nowhere in the add does it say all white meat, like Wendy's ads. Food for thought (pun intended). As sad as it is, I prefer their old gross nuggets to the new ones.

Burger King is a crap shoot. If my Whopper sits more than a minute it tastes bad. I've gotten to the point (same with McDs) where I will only order cheeseburgers. The Whopper and Quarter Pounders just haven't been tasting right over the last few years.

Arby's, another crap shoot. I remember their sandwiches being juicier. It seems like they're always dry nowadays. It's a bummer, because I generally love Arby's, but not lately. Have they changed something with their meat?

Doug

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Better then it used to be. You can ask for the nutritional menu from them (they have to provide it) the old McNuggest had part fish in them ;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've always thought BK had the best chicken nuggets (chicken tenders).

Those things take forever to cook, though. Massive pain if you run out during a rush (or are cooking to order late at night).

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
That Quizno's sucks. Try the one on 17th Ave SW.

Peter's Drive In is ok. The shakes are to die for - the best I've had anywhere. I don't think they're expensive at all - their "regular" fries is absolutely massive - about 5 times the amount you get with, say, a regular order of fries at Wendy's. The burgers are decent, but there's no real veggies on them.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor

Regarding the Mcdonald's nuggets, I don't know if I'm in the minority but I think the old 'grey matter' nuggets were much superior to the new white meat ones. Juicier and tastier imo. I don't know what's in em (I just figured it was dark meat instead of 'all white), but then again I'm not totally sure what's in hot dogs either.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
It would be extremely rare to find a place in my town that doesn't offer free refills.

I'm surprised someone had a negative experience at Steak and Shake. I admit the food is not to die for but for some reason its very tasty to me and I eat it often when I see it while traveling.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone who lives in the Toronto area will have to agree that Lick's Burgers are pretty hard to beat. Going to Lick's was a weekly event when I was going to university. The burger almost doesn't need toppings, it's that good. But you have to get their special sauce. The fry's are also great, much like the ones you get off those trucks. And they don't cost much more then a McD's meal.

Of the larger chains I'd say Wendy's is the best. Burger King is good for "after the bar" food because their drive thru is usually open till the wee morning hours for those late night grease cravings :emoji_thumbsup:

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Keep in mind, this is opinion. For locals, the jury is split right down the middle on In and Out. They either really love it or really hate it.
I have notice over the years though, that every Canadian that has visited here thinks of In and Out as some holy place of cuisine. Actually, everyone who visits here likes it but Canadians fiend for the shit though. I'm moving to Alberta or somewhere and setting up a In and Out house. I'll have the natives strung out in two weeks, then I'll jack up the prices on my Crack Burgers. Send out cats with overcoats with burgers underneath....(I'll stop).

I think, Fatburger is twice as grubbin'

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Went to a Fuddruckers while vacationing in Myrtle Beach a couple years ago. That was pretty good, but quite expensive.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Fuddruckers is the best burger place (chain) but I wouldn't call it a fast food restaurant. :emoji_thumbsup: to putting in your own toppings from a good selection. Pico de gallo, mayo, jalapeno cheese, lots of onions and pickels with a one pound patty...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Fatburger is great as well. Great onion rings. Large burgers too (at least the last time I went).

GordonL

Supporting Actor
You probably don't want to know. :D

Same goes for TacoBell tacos. Not sure about that "ground beef". :D

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Zen, you'll have to add Denver to your list as well. My friend and I only get In and Out on our trips to Vegas and then its burger binge time getting our fixes in. Withdrawals are hard for the first few weeks (symptoms include inability to stop staring at local burgers in disbelief, inflammation of the tastebuds and weight loss), but eventually gets managable. I thought I heard that Denver was soon to start getting some In and Outs? If so, I'm going to have to show some restraint, and start exercising more.

Todd_B

Second Unit
Another vote for Fuddruckers! We don't have one locally, but every visit to Pigeon Forge we stop and fill up them mighty tasty burgers :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd B

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks