What's new

What's the word on Lost Highway? (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
willyTass,
Are Australian discs NTSC or PAL? Sorry, I can't remember. No caffine yet this morning. :)
Thanks.
Edited to say:
Whoops, nevermind. Looks like it is PAL as well. Is there a NTSC-version of this film anywhere?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
PAL aint that bad : you get an extra 96 lines of horizontal res and no NTSC pulldown judder artifacts.

The tradeoff is an octave increase in voice due to the 4% speedup which i can live with

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hans,

Thanks. Looks like that is pan-and-scan, which is not an option.

Gordon,

I appreciate you suggesting the MK2/Cinema Club UK 2-disc sets. PAL speedup will probably be less objectionable than another Universal DVD-18 release that won't play period.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Yep, that only begins the problems with this weak release, but, sadly, that is the only NTSC option.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
PAL aint that bad : you get an extra 96 lines of horizontal res and no NTSC pulldown judder artifacts.

The tradeoff is an octave increase in voice due to the 4% speedup which i can live with
Er... I don't think anybody could live with an "octave increase" due to PAL speedup. It's actually only a micro-tone (that is, less than a half-step).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can output PAL to my iScan Ultra and by association, my projector, so I guess I am good to go with my ALL REGION dvd player and any PAL dvd? No speed-up :)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Can live with PAL speed-up? Just listen to the difference between PAL and NTSC with this great Bowie tune from Lost Highway: Deranged
Well, I can output PAL to my iScan Ultra and by association, my projector, so I guess I am good to go with my ALL REGION dvd player and any PAL dvd? No speed-up
No, it still will have PAL speed-up if the source have it.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
"Deranged" in LOST HIGHWAY was Bowie's best song in years and years.

Has anyone here seen the region 2 or region 4 edition of MULHOLLAND DRIVE ? particularly the French? The special edition with a second disc of supplements? Can you comment on the transfer, the supplements, and where to buy it from?

What are the chances of that coming to region 1?

Why does Lynch permit special editions across the pond but not domestically?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Mattias_ka,

If I have a PAL dvd, and my player reads the PAL dvd and outputs PAL to my iScan Ultra and the iScan Ultra outputs PAL to my projector, and my projector upscales the video to its resolution, there will be NO speed up.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Chris:

Yes, there WILL be speed-up. PAL is sped up natively. 24 frames-per-second film is encoded and played back at 25 frames-per-second in PAL. This results in a 4% speed-up whether you watch it in native PAL, or converted to NTSC. Whether or not that speed-up bothers you is another question, but it IS sped-up no matter how you watch it.

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Why does Lynch permit special editions across the pond but not domestically?
I don't think it's fair to say Lynch is against special-editions. His own release of ERASERHEAD was an S.E., and he was heavily involved with the region 1 release of WILD AT HEART which is an S.E. Region 1 also has S.E.s of TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME and BLUE VELVET.

Vincent

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I stand corrected.

So you are telling me that every dvd released in PAL format and watched on a PAL display experiences speed-up?

I guess you learn something new every day. That sucks.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yes, PAL is always sped up, regardless of if it's being converted to NTSC or watched in it's natural state. It's pretty disconcerting if you're used to a certain sound. A couple of years ago I watched some episodes of Stargate and Angel when I was in London, and it really surprised me how much I noticed it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. That's really too bad. Is there no way around it for people in PAL land? Even with an HTPC? I guess the way the data is encoded on a PAL disc, there is no way to speed up the audio to correct the sound without then screwing up the video. Kinda seems like they get ripped off. The closest I have come to experiencing it was with my Twin Peaks Pilot import, which iirc was a PAL to NTSC dvd. When I was checking out my import copy of Its All Gone Pete Tong I didn't notice it. Weird.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I live in the UK where DVDs are always in PAL, and I don't like PAL speed-up at all. Therefore I always buy films on Region 1 DVDs assuming they're available in R1. If not, my next best option is to buy NTSC editions from Japan or Korea if the film is available there. A UK or European edition is a "last resort" option, if it's the only way I can get the film at all (or if it's a better transfer). Even then, I regard it as only a stop-gap until a good NTSC edition is released somewhere.

I'm sure there will be many other UK-based collectors who follow a similar PAL-avoidance policy.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I prefer R1 movies over R2 because of the speed-up. But if the R2 have better picture, I will go for it.

But if you got a HTPC one CAN slow-down the DVD to true pitch with some programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks