What's new

What's the word on Lost Highway? (1 Viewer)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Just checked dugpa and no updates have been posted regarding Lost Highway.

At this rate, Hoffa will show up before we see a release.

Real Name
Anthony
Go here for some info on an upcoming French release that sounds like the best so far :
http://davisdvd.com/news/spy.html
The fact that Lynch has recorded a new interview may bode well for an R1 release.
By the way, I have it at one remove from the horse's mouth that the next time you watch LOST HIGHWAY, you should think about the O.J Simpson case and it might make just a little more sense.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't want Lost Highway to make sense. :)
Seriously though, the mystery of the movie is one of the great things about it. The weirdness (obviously)would not work for all movies but I think it fits Lost Highway perfectly.
I saw it an art theatre last month and on the way out, I overheard a guy telling his wife 'what really happened' in the movie. Even if his interpretation was correct, knowing what happened would rob some of the fun of the movie (at least to me).

Real Name
Anthony
I agree, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting trying to interpret it, much as we attempt to interpret our dreams. All I'm doing is passing on the information that the O.J case was one of the starting points for the film. It doesn't all just "fall into place" knowing that, but it's quite illuminating as to Lynch's processes.

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for sharing that tid-bit. I think it's a fun little fact to consider with the contents of this movie. It even has more demension now in a prophetic way, considering what Robert Blake has been through recently.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is this coming out? I see a special edition in Aussie land but not here. Any updates? I guess I will check dugpa...
If there is no upcoming Region 1 release, is there verdict on which one is best to grab from Australia? Regular or Special Edition? Sure the SE is probably good, but you never know, there good be problems. Just checking :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well, it will be showing on universal HD channel on the 24th.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
What's the hold-up here?

Quick! buy the MK2 region 2 French DVD without delay!

The widescreen anamorphic transfer looks fine and plays fine in my multi-region player.

The extras on disc 2 are fine.

The before and after interviews with David Lynch are especially fine.

The lenticular 3-D / hologram slipcase in slinky noir vinyl is quite Lynchian and very fine.

It even comes with a glossy, perfect-bound 80-page book about the film complete with signpost warnings which, although I can't read French, is more than fine.

Even the price is fine.

Everything about it is fine.

It's missing the documentary on the composer and some additional interview footage (Arquette has a lot more to say) that's only available on the Australian DVD [wish now I'd kept it, willyTass], but there's plenty here to keep a Lynch fan interested and happy.

Why wait for a region 1 release when this fine French DVD is obtainable right now from xploitedcinema.com where everything is fine.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Why all the talk of the French edition, when you could order the UK 2-disc, which is a virtual port of the MK2 set, sans French packaging, menus, etc:
www.bensonsworld.co.uk/dvd/7000000104178.asp
A lot less expensive than the US$32 (plus Xploited's US$4.00 shipping charge to Canada/Mexico) French set from Xploited Cinema, at £13.99 + £1.00 shipping (£14.99 = US$25.50). US$25.50 vs. US$36.00 - it's up to you! ;)
A powerful, disturbing, fascinating film that only Lynch could have conceived and executed on film and I feel that it is one of the best films of the 90s. It's great to finally have a worthy home video edition with input - though limited - from Lynch.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
A powerful, disturbing, fascinating film that only Lynch could have conceived and executed on film and I feel that it is one of the best films of the 90s. It's great to finally have a worthy home video edition with input - though limited - from Lynch.
My sentiments exactly.

But I didn't know about the UK edition.

Did it just come out?

Are the supplements the same?

Is it ... fine?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W, wrote:
Is it ... fine?
Oh, yes; no problems to report; excellent anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer; Dobly and DTS 5.1 tracks and the interviews are pretty interesting. Packaging is a hard cardboard book-type case, with a vinyl slip cover that has the title on the front and specs on the back, like the Criterion Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
BTW: Who owns the U.S. rights at the moment?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well, with Universal's recent 2-disc Dune, Lost Highway might just be on the cards, later in the year, hopefully. But, to be honest, I can't see Universal topping the MK2/Cinema Club UK 2-disc sets. Pro-NTSC/Anti-PAL fanatics might disagree, though. Again. ;)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
The new 2 disc Special Edition version of Lost Highway will be released 2nd March 2006 in Australia by Roadshow home video (Roadshow being an australian movie company NOT a public Domain Company)
You can check out the cover art at www.ezydvd.com.au
I will be sending this to Richard W so he can evaluate the quality of the transfer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks