What's new

What's the use of Cinema EQ setting ? (2 Viewers)

Kelana

Auditioning
Hi,
This a question about my Denon AVR1602 receiver.Can anyone tell me what's the use of Cinema EQ. The manual said it is the use for the surround mode setting. I didn't hear any difference when I set it to On or Off. If I set the Cinema EQ on, is it will increase the surround processing or something else ? Can anyone explain this to me ?
Thanks in advance.;)

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Kelana: Kevin is right. The Cinema Eq is for movies that can sound a bit more harsh in the treble range. It lets you tone down the treble while still hearing the dialog and sound effects clearly.

When movie sound is mastered, it is balanced with the knowledge that the front speakers in theaters are behind a perforated screen. When the sound is "projected" through the screen's holes, the treble is naturally attenuated. But since most home theaters don't use that type of screen, movie soundtracks can sound a little too "hot" in the treble. (Of course, if the movie is remastered specifically for the video market, this is not as necessary.)

I have Cinema Eq on my setup, but I don't use it. I have speakers that have a "warmer" sound that just don't need the treble tamed.

My suggestion is to try it both ways and run it the way you like best. It is all personal preference...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also have this feature on my onkyo but i don't use it. one thing i noticed is that when i engage it - it boosts (or was it cut) my rear channels by about 2db!

i thought that was odd.

anyway (like chuck said) it's all personal preference. just go with what sounds good to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks