What's new

What's the most you've spent on a music disc? (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
$12,500 for that Aerosmith's "Rocks" SACD? I don't think so. For me, it was about $35 for Mobile Fidelity's Aja by Steely Dan. How about you?

And much would you pay for something you really wanted, if it was available in your chosen format? The Yes album, Close To The Edge, Going For The One. Any of those on SACD or DVD-A. Can't imagine what I'd be willing to spend on those. Alan Parsons Project in surround sound?. Boz Skaggs Greatest Hits Live on BluRay with DTS-MA? Same thing. But still, $50-100 maybe. Then again, who knows? $$$

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I purchased the CD soundtrack to To Sir, With Love for $75.00.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
hmmm...good question.

I spent about $75 for a Blade Runner soundtrack, that still has yet to be out done. I also spent that for Excalibur. I think i spent about $75-80 for a 4 CD set, of the original, and complete Battlestar Galactica soundtrack. Soundtracks tend to have a low print run, and are usually gone if you do not buy when you can.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RickER
I think i spent about $75-80 for a 4 CD set, of the original, and complete Battlestar Galactica soundtrack.

I was going to say that one, but then I remembered I paid $100 for the Fanderson Space: 1999 Year One two-disc set after it went OOP (which was shortly after I paid the Fanderson membership and purchased the Year Two set. Talk about initial bad luck, but was glad I found a British fan who had a second copy who was willing to sell it for what was, in retrospect, a more than reasonable amount).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney

I was going to say that one, but then I remembered I paid $100 for the Fanderson Space: 1999 Year One two-disc set after it went OOP (which was shortly after I paid the Fanderson membership and purchased the Year Two set. Talk about initial bad luck, but was glad I found a British fan who had a second copy who was willing to sell it for what was, in retrospect, a more than reasonable amount).

You know, i discovered Fanderson at that exact same time!

Only to find out they had just sold out of the season 1 set, but i did get the 2 disc season 2 set.

In the end, i got a season 1 single disc release, so I guess that will have to do!

I love the music of both seasons of Space:1999. Never thought id get to own the music, or the show!

A friend of mine paid top dollar to get a 2 disc Airwolf CD. I was thinking it cost 2 or 3 HUNDRED dollars!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Oh god.. here I get to admit to being an audio-nut.

I paid $250 for an original first edition of Tori Amos "Y Kant Tori Read"

I paid $500 for a signed print by Simon & Garfunkel of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" LP in pristine condition w/studio notes

I paid $1000 for a John Lennon / Yoko Ono autographed copy of "Double Fantasy"

I have several albums in vinyl by these artists autographed where I personally had them autograph: Paul Simon (all), Tori Amos (all), Dixie Chicks (Wide Open Spaces, Home), REM "Monster" "Automatic for the People"

There are a few albums out there, if they ever surfaced in pristine, certified condition, I would feel near obligated to buy.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I think I spent more than $30 for a rare Eric Serra remix of The Diva Dance from the Fifth Element.

$30 for a rarity is not uncommon for me. Only during good economic times for myself, though. Other times I'm rummaging through the Salvation Army $1 cd bins.

To justify paying a huge collector price like that though, the music has to be unavailable anywhere else.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Some of you may know that I'm an avid collector of Hong Kong pop CDs. With that in mind........I'll admit to paying over $400.00 for a CD.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/297565/what-s-the-most-you-ve-spent-on-a-music-disc#post_3724592

That brings back memories....

Way back in the late 80s, my friend was into Disney theme park music and he enjoyed blasting the music from the Disneyland Electric Parade out of the crappy stereo of my equally crappy 1979 Ford Fairmont. The looks of people on the streets were priceless.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Whatever the list price was for the Mobile Fidelity recordings was for U2's The Joshua Tree, and Counting Crows' August & Everything After and Recovering The Satellites.

I once paid $40 or $50 for a limited edition, German import release of a U2 single "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" - solely because it had a stunning remix of Bono's version of "Can't Help Falling In Love" - I had a cassette copy of the track but I really felt the need to actually own it.

Though it was more of a box set than an individual disc, I spent around $300 for the box set of The White Stripes "Under Great White Northern Lights" - included a beautiful hardcover book with amazing photography, the album on vinyl and CD, the documentary, and an exclusive black & white full concert. Worth every penny. (Jack White's Third Man Records has a "premium" fan club membership, it's $60 for a quarterly release where they send you an exclusive vinyl album pressed on 180 gram vinyl. Sometimes the releases have been not overly interesting, but they also have done some real gems, whether it was a mono-only release of "Icky Thump" exclusive to the club or the White Stripes "b shows" compilation (as seen in the Under Great White Northern Lights documentary when they played imprompteu shows in random places throughout Canada, often only a couple songs and without professional gear). If you're a fan of Jack White or a fan of indie music on vinyl, it's a must-have subscription.

In general, if it's a new release album that I love and there's a chance to get a vinyl release for $30-40, to me it's well worth it. Both of the albums by The Raconteurs, but especially Consolers Of The Lonely, sound ridiculously better on vinyl than CD. Same for Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind. U2's Pop and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Modest Mouse's We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank. Dave Matthews Band's Before These Crowded Streets. Some vinyl pressings of new releases don't sound noticeably different from the CDs. All of those were, to me at least, worth every penny - $40 may not seem like a ridiculous sum, but when you consider you can get the CD or iTunes download for about ten bucks, that's a lot extra to spend on something that strictly speaking probably isn't necessary. Also, if something makes the list of being one of my favorite albums of all times - it's worth paying whatever it costs on vinyl just to be able to have that on the shelf. I don't collect everything on vinyl, but the mere presence of a vinyl copy on my shelf means that that album means a lot to me.

And while I didn't pay an outrageous price for it, to be able to buy Tegan and Sara's album "If It Was You" (their 2002 album before they had "made it") at one of their shows way back when, and able to get them both to sign and personalize it for me - there's not a price I'd ever consider selling it for. If the house is burning down, with all of my DVDs and Blu-rays and family photo albums and everything else in danger, I'm saving that album above all else. (And if I have time to save a second thing, my "2001: A Space Odyssey" DVD autographed and personalized by Keir Dullea.)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I paid $60 to get a deluxe edition of Within Temptation's "Black Symphony" CD/DVD. The US version only had "selections" from the concert on the CD portion, and I wanted the whole thing. I THINK that's the most I've spent...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I paid about $22 for that on Blu, but it didn't come with a CD. :)

My most expensive CD was the Pete Townshend Lifehouse boxed set. It was somewhere around $85 for a 6-disc set in an LP-sized case. I forget exactly how much (but I see people are selling it on Amazon now for $325 and up!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks