What's new

What's the FIRST Tv on DVD you ever bought? (1 Viewer)

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
My first purchase was The Sopranos Season Season 1 in 2001. Now, some hundred or so box sets later, I'm excited looking forward to Season 6, Part ii.

I do love the ease of access, lack of commericals and entertainment value of TV shows on DVD. And the way the prices have dropped since the early days -- to say nothing of the wonderful sales!

A great hobby that both myself and the wife enjoy. Thank you, Sopranos!

My biggest surprise -- all the great new quality TV shows I've discovered through this medium, that otherwise I would have missed.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
My very first tvdvd was Frasier s1 I asked for it that year it came out for Xmas.

My first bought myself tvdvd was Wrestlemania Anthology;.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Some shows are like that. I noticed while watching others I miss commercials. Old Christmas specials like Charlie Brown, the Rankin/Bass specials need commercials liek Dolly Madison snake cakes, pre-sweetened breakfast cereal, etc. I also find that stuff like Star Trek TOS, Xena and Hercules almost need some kind of break since so many scenes end as a cliffhanger. I'll often pause the DVD there and wait a bit. :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

That says it for me, Carl :emoji_thumbsup: About the only thing that will prevent the sale for me is if I know that a set is "syndicated/edited" with footage/scenes cut.

My first 2 TV/DVD sets bought from a 'net store:

Order Date: July 5, 2004
S1 of: Happy Days - The Complete First Season
Sold by: Amazon.com

Order Date: July 20, 2004
COMBAT-1ST SEASON-CAMPAIGN 1
COMBAT-1ST SEASON-CAMPAIGN 2
Sold by: DeepDiscountDVD

Couldn't have remembered without the 'net and "Order History" :)

I don't remember the first "local store" sale since I buy 99.9% from the 'net, but I think it was "Lost In Space" S1.

Rodrick

Second Unit
My first TVonDVD's were

Magnum PI s1
Different Strokes S1
Scooby Doo Where are You Box s1 and 2
Flintstones S1
Cheers s1
Friends 1 and 2

All these during 1 Xmas and Birthday season.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
My first TV-on-DVD was the collected 1966-67 color episodes of THE AVENGERS, back when A&E issued them as little 2-volume sets, in April '99.

The news that THE AVENGERS was coming to R1 DVD was one of the main reasons why I bought my first DVD player, after years of laserdisc collecting.

Other early TV DVD purchases were Image's BEANY & CECIL: SE, A&E Home Video's MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS mini-sets, the two Rhino GET A LIFE! discs, and some select, early TWILIGHT ZONE volumes (back when Panasonic made 'em).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The first season of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. I can't remember if this was my first TV on DVD purchase, but it was definitely the one that I was the most excited about being out on DVD.

Nigel W

Grip
I'm fairly certain that it was X-Files Season 1 at the $150 price point (with no discounts). I just completed the series in the slim cases (Seasons 6-9) and I've enjoyed the majority of the series. Season 1 remains one of my favorites.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
It has been more than a couple of years now...but I'd have to say that I think my TV on DVD purchase was ``Three's Company'' Season 1 followed by ``Gilligan's Island'' Season 1...you can't imagine the joy that I felt when I saw that set on the shelf and I knew that I had to pay Best Buy their bloated and not CHEAP prices for that DVD! Now, I pretty much always buy my TV DVDs through Amazon. Agreed with previous posters, tho. Great thread!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
The first set I purchased was "The Simpsons" Complete First Season. I didn't even know it was out until I was listening to the radio one day when one of the DJ's mentioned it. Needless to say, I couldn't get to HMV quick enough to buy it.

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
I really have no idea what my first was. I would guess it might be The Twilight Zone which I was getting (at first) by subscription from Columbia House. This was back when they just had the single-disc releases of 3 or 4 episodes per volume. Then I realized I could get them cheaper elsewhere. Another early TV purchase was that 6-episode 2-disc Ally McBeal set.

Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be guessing because it was so long ago but I think it was the "Quantum Leap" pilot or maybe even the "Moonlighting" pilot. I think I even had the "Quantum Leap" pilot on laser disc way be when.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I think it was Star Trek the two episode per volume sets followed by the X-files.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks