What's new

Whats the difference ? (1 Viewer)

Bob Sisson

Agent
What is the difference between "Home theater" projectors and "Multi-Media" projectors?

If I line up my desired Specs... (minimums)

16:9 Native
2500 Lumens
HDMI Interface
2000:1 contrast
2000 Hour bulb

And I try to compare "home Theater" vs "Office Multi-Media" the Home Theater projectors are ALWAYS (much) more money, and I don't see for what.

I can get 720 (1024 x 768) or 1080 (1920 x 1080) resolutions in either type. Both have the interfaces... I don't get it.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Bob

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm not positive, but I think the only difference is the way they're marketed. As long as the specs are what you want, it shouldn't matter.

Staples sells multimedia projectors from about $700 up to about $1200. Home theater stores sells projectors from about $700, up to about $20,000. Staples doesn't sell the higher end stuff, because who's gonna spend $20,000 for a projector, to do a presentation in some office? :)

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Business projectors typically are configured primarily for Power Point presentations and go for brightness and portability over color fidelity, etc. The optics aren't as high quality, they don't process motion as well or have as sophisticated scaling engines, fan noise is usually greater, inputs may not be as elaborate, black level and shadow detail are not a priority, they're just not designed fully for home theater requirements. That's why they are typically cheaper. Some manufacturers may even use the same case and somewhat similar parts/specs. Optics alone can account for hundreds of dollars in cost difference.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My wife's office spent $14,000 on a Pansonic projector. I read the reviews on it and they described it as a "light cannon". It gives a great picture in full light.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks