What's new

What's the difference between theatrical DTS/DD and DVD DTS/DD? (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Bjoern I should know better than to think that anything DTS related would be plain and simple at the HTF. :)
Besides, the SAF is very low when asking to add two more speakers and we can't really hear very well behind us anyways, so it doesn't matter, right? :)
wink.gif

DJ

Duane M Davis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Duane Davis
Is that really the goal? To recreate the "Theatrical Experience"? I think I'd rather aim for reality.
------------------
"Would you like to play spider with me?" ~Spider Baby

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Is that really the goal? To recreate the "Theatrical Experience"? I think I'd rather aim for reality.
If I wanted reality, I'd open my front door and step outside. If I'm watching a movie, it's to experience something else.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
quote: As a hardware application, there are no DVDs/software available in THX-EX, just as there are no DVDs available in Pro Logic (rather Dolby Digital Surround EX and Dolby Surround, respectively).[/quote]I'm not sure what you mean. I may be misunderstanding you, but are there not many DVDs available with Pro Logic surround tracks, etc?
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack .
[Edited last by Eugene Hsieh on August 27, 2001 at 09:49 PM]

David Judah

Screenwriter
He is saying that DD EX is the software format decoded by a THX EX decoder(hardware), just as Dolby Surround(software) is decoded by a Pro-logic decoder(hardware).
DJ

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
but are there not many DVDs available with Pro Logic surround tracks, etc?
There are many DVDs released with 2 channel tracks from which 4 channels can be derived (Dolby Surround). From what I understand, Dolby Pro Logic refers to the hardware or decoding method used to decode a Dolby Surround sound track.
Of course, please correct if mistaken. :)
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks