What's new

What's the difference between a speed hump and a speed bump? (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Should they ride their bikes in the yard? Also, a lot of the kids in the neighborhood walk to school, and keeping them out of the streets would make that damn near impossible. This isn't an issue of kids playing in the streets (which ours don't do); it's idiots with no regard for the safety of others. One of the wrecks I witnessed involved the idiot speeding down the cross street hitting the idiot running the stop sign. This led to the second idiot being knocked up on the sidewalk, halfway into our driveway, nearly hitting my car. Had my son been standing at the corner or in our driveway, he'd have been hit. Neither driver had insurance, and both left before the police arrived. Having speed bumps in both directions (which I would prefer) would have prevented this and one of the other accidents I've seen (the third I'm pretty sure would have happened regardless). There's no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to walk my dog, or cross my street, or stand in the driveway without having to worry about some idiot who thinks he needs to hit 50 between each stop sign.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I would think numerous accidents in the same location would devalue the property much more than any speed bump/hump would, especially if the accidents frequently threaten your property.

People are generally pretty good in my neighborhood, as far as I can tell. My street is very quiet. However, there's an intersection a few blocks away where the house on the corner has several 6' concrete pillars surrounding their corner of the intersection. The pillars aren't particularly attractive and I can only surmise that they are there to prevent cars from hitting their house. I can't imagine they were put there on a whim, but probably only after an accident did threaten their property.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The Kaiser Hospital in Fresno has marked speed humps in their parking lots, the signs don't say "speed hump" or "speed bump", just "Hump". One can usually see several parked cars moving up and down on their suspensions with remarkable vigor near these signs.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
There is a publication regarding speed humps published by ITE (Institue of Transportation Engineers) called Guidelines for the Design and Application of Speed Humps. There are differences between speed bumps and speed humps, there are also speed tables. Another publication that might be of interest is Neighborhood Traffic Control, also available through ITE.

If you want to look at getting them installed, the best place to start is your local municipal or city traffic engineer. Speed humps are the larger variety, versus speed bumps. Speed humps are generally 8 to 12-feet wide and 3 to 4 inches high. If built properly, a vehicle should be able to travel over without too much discomfort at around 25 mph.

The locations for speed humps should really be well thought out. You can't run around laying them out whenever someone wants one in front of their home.

They cost nowhere near $150k to install. They can be installed permenently with ac pavement but there are also temporary speed humps. The temporary humps do certainly have a higher initial cost and of course maintenance crew costs to install and retrieve them.

They really shouldn't have any effect on property values. They can have some adverse side effects though. First, they can slow down emergency response times. They can also make a patients ride in the back of the ambulance very uncomfortable.

Second, similar to when stop signs are installed to 'calm' traffic, they can result in vehicles speeding more between speed humps or stop signs to make up for lost time. This is more of a problem with stop signs than speed humps but it can be a potential issue.

While drivers do need to be aware of where they are driving and drive respectfully, many parents also need to get their kids from playing in the streets. Setting up hockey goals, skateboard ramps, and bike jumps in the street is irresponsible and asking for trouble.

In areas that have significant snow that sticks for a significant amount of time, the speeds humps essentially disappear during winter months as plows must raise their blades to go over them which makes for a nice smooth approach into the hump.

Issues around all of this can get very heated and emotional. Sometimes quite illogical as well. I once worked on a study where the neighborhood was complaining about cut through traffic and speeding yet when we asked if they wanted sidewalks installed along the designated school walking routes, they said no as they all felt safe walking in the streets. Go figure.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Alex... very interesting information. Makes me wonder if they would be worth while.

Stacey, I have thought/heard of sitting on the sidewalk with a hair dryier pointing it at cars. Might actually work. Set up my video camera too so I can send it to the police department ;)

I have also thought of sitting between my two cars in my driveway a toss basketball out in the street when a speeder comes zipping by.

Just the other day I had my father-in laws Dodge RAM 4x4 parked infront of my driveway. Some lady came speeding down the street so I jumped out at her from behinde the truck (the way a kid would if they were chasing a ball or something) the lady looked up and I noticed she was busy yackin on her cel phone. She did not even tap her brakes.

I tend to step infront of traffic to slow them down too... while giving them a dirty look. Im sure my days are numbered ;)

Ive got a better idea then speed humps... lets install thoes parking lot spikes that pop up if the driver breaks the 25 mph speed limit. :D

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Chris,

One thing to beware of is that as a bystander alongside a road, people typically have a very inaccurate perception of the speeds vehicles are really traveling. Not to say that people aren't speeding in neighborhoods, we all know that it happens. However, there have been cases where residents are provided with radar guns and find that vehicles they thought were zooming through the neighborhood are really driving at the speed limit or only just slightly above.

Jumping out in the road or tossing a basketball, bowling ball, whatever is a BAD thing. You may easily cause an accident (potentially involving yourself) doing something so foolish not to mention pissing off the wrong driver and getting your ass kicked.

I know I don't speed in neighborhoods but I can tell you if someone thought I was and tossed objects in the road at me, we would definitely be having words.

Are there any locations in your neighborhood to set up a portable radar sign. Contact your city traffic engineer or police department to try and set this up. This is an easy way to make drivers aware of the speed limit and the speed they are driving. It may need to be done a couple of times a year to reinforce the message.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Alex... thanks good points.

I have thought about my preception of what 25MPH is while standing on the sidewlak and I would agree with your statement... But on a side note... when you hear them get on it and go through 3-4 gears b4 they get half way down the street and they are not lugging the engine down they must be going over 25.

I have just thought about tossing the ball out there never actually done it and doubt i ever would. As for walking out in front of them... its normaly when they are about a block away and I dont stop walking I just walk slower than normal.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Our community requested speed bumps and after inquiring with the authorities, they set up a radar sign. After about a week they removed it and put in the sensors that run across the road and monitor the speed of each passing vehicle.

After about a month the county said the average speed did not warrrant speed bumps. Most of our speeders are also interlopers, i.e. - not residents, just visitors.

I always like the sign "Traffic Calming Area" in a nearby community that has humps throughout it. They need Traffic Calming on the beltway ! seems so serene....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks