What's new

What's the deal with everyones post count dissapearing? (1 Viewer)

Neil White

Supporting Actor
This reply alone is bordering on one of the useless, no value add posts but.....just wanted to support this decision. I'm tired of trying to wade through 6 pages of 'discussion' to find the point of the thread.

Thanks Ron and Parker.

N

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

This is a personal pet peeve of mine- so if you see something that is in violation- DO NOT HESITATE to email me, Private Message Me- hell send smoke signals- and I'll handle it.

I think excessive sigs bog the forum down for many people- so I'm all about gunning for excessive sigs.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Just below the "Member Since..." information is an icon that looks like /htforum/images/threadsearch.gif. Click on this icon and it will show you all of the posts that you have started. To find posts that you have participated in just use the search button in the post toolbar that look like /htforum/images/find.gif.
Parker

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I meant to say "dial-up connection" instead of "download connection." This is why I should never post things at 2 in the morning.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Technically I guess it's the people who constantly change their sigs that are the problem. Mine shouldn't be high bandwidth (the five images total ~20K) but once downloaded the browser will cache it anyway. However, if I was to change it all the time I can see this causing you a few probs on dial-up.
Of course, you could just turn sigs off...;)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think excessive sigs bog the forum down for many people- so I'm all about gunning for excessive sigs.
I agree wholeheartedly Vince. More power to you. :)
As far as post counts, I think it is fine after reading Ron's posting here. If it is being abused, fine.
The only thing it was sometimes heplful for was a "rough cut" filter is helping to figure out if a member seems qualified as good participant.
I guess on one level this would be bad, because ideally we want to judge people solely on the quality of their content in the posts. One of the cool things is the personal anonymity this web confers on all. How democratic is that?
However, if a newbie makes a dumb comment and has only 8 posts to date, it seems more understandable than if they are a regular with north of x hundred posts. Of course, some people post infrequently but make some real first class responses.
This is a reasonable view, isn't it?

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
However, if a newbie makes a dumb comment and has only 8 posts to date, it seems more understandable than if they are a regular with north of x hundred posts. Of course, some people post infrequently but make some real first class responses.
This is a reasonable view, isn't it?
I have always considered the member since date far more telling than the actual post count. For instance, I will never offend an elder that has been a member prior to the year 2000. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a great idea. As another member said, I haven't noticed people outright padding their post counts, but that may be a function of the boards I visit most often. The content that constitutes padding a post count is certainly open to interpretation, at least in some cases. In any event, I have been happy with the quality of discussions on the boards I frequent, but if the overall quality of content on the site improves as a result of hiding post counts, then we will all be better off.
EDIT: There was one thing I liked about member post counts being visible. I used to use them to identify new members. When I saw a '1' or '2' with a recent "born on date", I did my best to remember to welcome them here. Now I will have get in the habit of just looking at the born on date. :)

GaryEA

Second Unit
A small minority on this board have abused
those post counts time and time again by posting
superficial posts in order to boost their post
counts.
I never knew there was such a thing as "post count envy". :D
Seriously, I hadn't noticed they were removed until it was mentioned in another thread. If this decision helps to resolve some problems - great.
-g

DanaA

Screenwriter
I just want to chime in that I think this is the greatest thing that's happened to HTF since I've been here. :emoji_thumbsup: It seems there was too much obsessing over who had posted the most or what ones post count was. Now, we can concentrate on the boards. Great decision. :) :) :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Just below the "Member Since..." information is an icon that looks like . Click on this icon and it will show you all of the posts that you have started. To find posts that you have participated in just use the search button in the post toolbar that look like .
Thanks Packy,that's the button I was asking about,I didn't know their function,I thought that they were a general search thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks